DIY sluice

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have done an extensive search and cannot find the post where one of the users showed pictures of a bazooka sluice build where it appeared he was using ABS plastic sheet. So these are my questions:

1. How were the various pieces joined?

2. If an adhesive was used, what type was it?

3. Are there any particular difficulties that need to be addressed for the glue up?

Hopefully someone will chime in and answer one or more of these questions.
Thanks,
arizau

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the only one I have seen, but check out a thread in "Sluicin" started by "djpitr",...that was the last plastic, ish, FB I remember seeing....I liked his pic's throughout the build....(also check out Goodyguy's page if have not yet)

I have used rivets & silicon for sealant, but that was when building out of aluminum.

I know there is a "black ABS plastic adhesive", looked similar to acrylic cement to me ?
Also, when asking someone at the plastic store near me he suggested mixing some shavings from the ABS cut's w/ some of the adhesive, then applying w/ a syringe (they sold seperatly)... Said that made a pretty strong bond, sounded like a cool trick ?

I was leaning the way of plastic, but I can get sheets of Alum. a little cheaper, and I am more familiar w/ cutting, bending & shaping metal Vs. aluminum.... so I have gone that route on the two I have built so far...

Good luck w/ your project !

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Everything ive ever built out of acrylic or plexiglass, ive either used silicon or JB Weld (black) i like the way the black looks on that clear plastic. the JB weld is essentially epoxy.

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the responses guys! I just located a local plastics supplier/fabrication shop and they answered my questions. ABS adhesive usually used for pipe sold at hdwe. stores. I think I will try a regular stream sluice first and install some Goldhog mat that I have before I tackle the fluid bed. Less complicated and I can just saw off my mistakes and make it narrower if I have to. I anticipate having to make some jigs for support and spacing during glue up, before I start the fluid bed project.

Kruzman

May 23, 2013
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm confused, what would you use the abs cement for in a regular sluice? Use a Razer nife to score and snap edge to edge straight cuts. If you dont have a break, use 2 wood strips spaced 1/4in apart and heat gap with gun. If. You clamp it down you can fold along the straight edge.

OP
OP
A

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm confused, what would you use the abs cement for in a regular sluice? Use a Razer nife to score and snap edge to edge straight cuts. If you dont have a break, use 2 wood strips spaced 1/4in apart and heat gap with gun. If. You clamp it down you can fold along the straight edge.

I don't have a heat gun so I was going to cut and glue sides and fabricate and attach the flare too. I may even have the fabricator do the job if not too expensive since they obviously have the proper equipment and know how. I'll keep your suggestions for possible future projects. Thanks.

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I used 5/8" square oak strips to make the frame of my plastic fluid bed sluice.

sluice.jpg
sluice river.jpg

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not bad Rover. Looks just like a Prospector.

djpitr

Oct 18, 2012
S.C.
Detector(s) used
Gold bug 2 , XP Deus , ctx3030
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For any body who will make his sluice or bazooka , you can use aluminum strips and rivets or like my brothers did , on pvc or aluminum or any material , you can use construction glue , ( liquid nails) or any more expensive ones , they work great .

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I use the "ABS adhesive" I use on my ABS projects . you can get it from ANY hardware store (Lowes, home Depot , ETC.) it is in the plumming isle and its in the RED labeled can! have everything checked for proper fit then get a lot of clamps to secure the 2 pieces tobe glued. It will NEVER come apart once cured. lighter and cheaper in price than alum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread