NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also found this rock. Looks like it could be volcanic? It's pretty lightweight compared to other rocks the same size.

image-1201518888.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interesting shapes in the vial, even if it's not as much as you'd hope.

Yes, that looks volcanic to me too. A sort of pumic perhaps?

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it float?
110925pu.jpg

Nameless

Greenie
Jan 6, 2014
R. C.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Making it out in the morning to do some exploring! Hope I don't encounter anymore critters. A couple weeks ago I had a huge 350-400lb bear running at me while I was hiking then another time I walked into a mountain lion. Both encounters were way too close! The bear stopped about 10ft away from me and the lion was about 5ft away from me. Somebody must be looking out for me lol. I'll let you all know how the trip goes. If I don't ever post I'm either dead lost in the woods or stranded in the middle of the river. ;) I should have something shiny to show tomorrow evening!

I've yet to encounter mountain lion but have been approached by a bear once and other two times bear was just minding his own busines. I cary a pistol on my hip when I'm alone ( which is 90% of time), but it won't do any good when you hunched over by the water (concentrating on panning/ digging) as it it hard to hear and see anything approaching. Dangerous hobby we have!

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm alone 98% of the time and don't have a gun.. All I have is a big knife and some mace. I'm always looking over my shoulder unless sniping in the river. I feel a little bit safer when in the middle of the river from animals. I don't think anything would attack you in the middle of a river. :cat:

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm alone 98% of the time and don't have a gun.. All I have is a big knife and some mace. I'm always looking over my shoulder unless sniping in the river. I feel a little bit safer when in the middle of the river from animals. I don't think anything would attack you in the middle of a river. :cat:
When im alone, I keep a few knives on me as well as some mace. I have the taser in the car, but hey, what good is that gonna do... Haha
Never be too careful

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i have literally been chased off of property before by someone who didnt even own the land. i informed the landowner and he told me to defend myself by all necessary means. i do not carry a gun because of being in the water so much. i do however always have a knife on me and plant one or 2 other self defense weapons along the trail on the way in. If im being chased on the way out, i have easy access to a planted machete or tomahawk.

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i have literally been chased off of property before by someone who didnt even own the land. i informed the landowner and he told me to defend myself by all necessary means. i do not carry a gun because of being in the water so much. i do however always have a knife on me and plant one or 2 other self defense weapons along the trail on the way in. If im being chased on the way out, i have easy access to a planted machete or tomahawk.

Now that's some good thinking. I like to carry my 9mm up front and a machete in my pack. I'm happy to say I haven't ever had to brandish either in the name of safety.

JB

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The guy that ran me off we found out later that he was trying to hide his automatic deer feeder. set on a timer it was a 55 gallon drum that was dcut and fanned out. he would load up corn and deer feed and it would spin throwing the corn 20 to 40 feet in all directions. he would just sit up in his blind and wait for them to flock to it (thats illegal in GA btw) land owner called the cops on his arse.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The guy that ran me off we found out later that he was trying to hide his automatic deer feeder. set on a timer it was a 55 gallon drum that was dcut and fanned out. he would load up corn and deer feed and it would spin throwing the corn 20 to 40 feet in all directions. he would just sit up in his blind and wait for them to flock to it (thats illegal in GA btw) land owner called the cops on his arse.
cool! ...and now you can go get the gold?!

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like something with a little more reach than a knife...
ss-10000-630x552.jpg
:)

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have both

So do I but I also have a Le Trap for low/slow water situations like I often have here in Colorado. The le Trap catches the small stuff in low water. I have a Bazooka for faster water. I don't use the A52 much any more.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey GoldpannerDave, I was just in the springs recently without my gear and was totally drooling at some of those fine creeks you all have down there. Are you finding anything in town there?
Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions