Question

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey sluicers! I'm not use to sluicing in larger rivers but last year I found an area that I'd like to work. I was running a really small royal sluice that's about the same size of an ez sluice. I noticed it was loading up a lot and could actually see my gold rolling out the end because there was so much black sand there. I didn't have anything to put the concentrates in except a snuffer bottle. That filled up in no time then I filled the only other water bottle I had once it loaded up again. Then I had no choice but to run and watch the smaller gold roll on through. My shovel was a tiny little thing too so I wasn't moving much dirt. I still managed just under 3 grams though. So now for the question. What sluice would you recommend that doesn't load up too quick and can handle a lot of material? I've been hearing a lot about the bazooka but that's not really an option for me right now. I need something large and not too expensive because it would be something I would stash in the bushes because I probably wouldn't want to carry it back out.. Lol

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love my 50" drop riffle. The rocks just roll over the riffles to keep it from packing up. I can also see it exchange heavies for heavier materials. It's also plastic so it is very lightweight. Just a thought.

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going to get an A52. Well see how things go with a bigger sluice. The water level was a bit lower when I was sluicing there last so might have to go to a different spot in the same area. How do you guys usually carry your concentrates out? Like what type of container? Or is there an easy way to concentrate them down quickly before you leave? Not use to dealing with mass amounts of black sand.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going to get an A52. Well see how things go with a bigger sluice. The water level was a bit lower when I was sluicing there last so might have to go to a different spot in the same area. How do you guys usually carry your concentrates out? Like what type of container? Or is there an easy way to concentrate them down quickly before you leave? Not use to dealing with mass amounts of black sand.
A52 does wonders on most sizes of gold, depending on your mat of choice.
As for cons.i either use my snuffer or a 1gal bucket. :)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A Folgers plastic coffee can works really great for cons. Old Tupperware is a good option too. A ziplock by itself is not as durable.

As to sluices, if you plan to leave it in the field between visits, I'd suggest making a drop riffle sluice out of wood ( well sealed of course) painted in a camo color. Otherwise I'd say an A52 has a long learning curve. If you have lots of experience with a similar sluice, ok...otherwise I'd really encourage you to look again at the Bazookas...you'll have quick easy setup and move more material with great gold retention.

ALewis

Aug 20, 2013
East Bay, Northern Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For con's I usually do a "quick" pan after cleaning out (homemade fluid bed), just to reduce the weight... then dump into a Gatorade bottle or zip lock and finish up at home.

Oh, and don't sleep on the Bazooka......instead of feeding w/ the "tiny" shovel you can pour / dump a 5 gal bucket. is pretty cool, just saying.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Triple your gold with a Bazooka!

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Holy cow just looked them up.. Pretty darn pricey. And I don't like not being able to see the gold that I'm catching. Would the smaller prospector be good for river sluicing? Or need something bigger? Because I don't really want to spend over $200 on it.

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just depends on how rich your ground is. Paid mine off in 6 months.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For one person, the biggest you'd ever want is the 36" Prospector. I run the 30" Prospector and that's very good too. Thus you are below $200 ...at least by a little. Get it, you'll love it!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Kevin said ^^^^ :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
NuggetN8

NuggetN8

Mar 13, 2012
Northern California
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think I'll go with the A52 still. Bazooka sounds ok but not being able to see when it's overflowing with heavies makes me want a traditional sluice where you can actually see what's going on. Don't want that gold spilling out.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Used mine 30 times all day long two people digging. Most the trap filled was half way.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm pretty scared! Idk I think I'd want to try one before buying.
Great idea! Try both if you can borrow and you will never use a non Bazooka sluice again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread