New to sluicing w/Keene A52 have questions about Bazooka products and cleanup tools

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched through the forum for threads on classifying and cleaning and came across the many references to the Bazooka products. I then searched for threads comparing the A52 to the Bazooka models but hoped to ask a few specific questions.

I panned for gold for roughly 10 years in Maine (Swift River). Prior to college I purchased a Keene A52 but never felt like I got the right water flow. This past weekend I had the opportunity to return to the Swift River (after 20 years) and managed to find my old sluice. I found a few colors panning and was determined to experiment with the A52 until I got the right water flow. I finally figured out what I think was the correct water flow (much faster than I initially thought) as evidenced by the sluice riffles showing mostly red sand and some small stones. When I did the cleanup I found small colors and a lot of black sand.

With the above as context, 20 years ago my back was not as sore after a day of digging, classifying through a pan grizzly, and then panning down to the black sand. Ha ha - funny how that works. I found 6 colors from about 6 hours of work over two days. On the Swift River we mostly have fine flakes that you pick up with a toothpick. Reading about the bazooka of course I am interested in the notion of not having to classify.

1.) For those who have used both the Keene A52 and a Bazooka gold trap sluice, did you find the Bazooka was capable of capturing gold as fine as what can be captured in the A52?
2.) The material available to me in the Swift River is gravel (definitely not fine beach sand) and I was curious if the Bazooka was a good product for this material? The idea of saving my back from classifying with a hand grizzly is appealing if it really works.
3.) I watched some of the Bazooka videos but what sort of material do you get at the cleanup phase? Is it similar to the material I get cleaning out the A52 (small stones, red sand, and black sand)?
4.) Finally, is there a cleanup tool (other than a $2000 magnetic table separator) that will clean this concentrate down to the gold or will it always end in a pan? I read about various circular machines including those with a catch tube at the center.

Even the 6 colors I found this past weekend has given me a bit of the bug again.

Thanks!

--Matt

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) You betchya. And more of it.
2) Yes, if you have enough water going over the top of the sluice to clear whatever you are shoveling. If it doesnt clear add more water and angle until it does.
3) Small heavy gravels and black sand. And Gold!
4) You can hand pan your concentrates down to gold in a night or two in the garage. About the same with a blue bowl. Not sure on the spinning wheels. Ironically, panning is faster once you get good at it.

I've used both and as a fellow old timer I can tell you the bazooka does what they say, I no longer will classify. (Until I get to my garage with my cold beer anyway... ;) )

I recommed the prospector model. I have the 48 inch model as I didnt want to get one then want something bigger.. hehe!

Welcome to the best treasure forum on the web by the way. Well met!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Prospector 70 about said it all. No Classifying, fine gold recovery, pan able cons, works better with your gravel than straight sand, increased production. You might check out the 36" prospector.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You will love the Bazooka. I too would recommend the 36" Prospector.

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the bazooka 30" prospector and work side by side with my buddy he has the keen a52 the bazooka does three times the material his does and captures ALL the gold with half the work. I am new to prospecting (about five months) and i started with a bazooka....best decision i have ever made. My dad always told me work with your head not your back well this is about as close to that as your going to get in this hobby lol

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the helpful replies. It sounds like the Bazooka is something to seriously consider in lieu of additional classifying equipment/effort.

Armchair prospector

Jul 31, 2011
Matt, before you go out and buy what you think is going to make you find more gold than the A52, consider the fact that you may have been working in an area that was devoid of gold. You wouldn't do any better with a bazooka. They are nice and light and do recover gold as I have seen a neighbor of mine uses one and loves it. You have to be in the right area first. You just be spending more money on something that I don't think will find any more gold than you A52. How would you know anyway?. 100 years from now equipment will be better than now but prospectors will still have the same ideas that we all have with equipment.

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Bgt prospector/miner, Ggt nugget, gold cube, goldnsand hand pump Black magic miller table, blue bowl, garret pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
More material ran more chances of gold or more of it in a consistent place

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding more gold would be nice of course but my priority is equipment that allows me to find the same size gold flakes with less work (i.e. classifying). I added 6 colors to my stash last weekend and if the Bazooka would have worked to find the same 6 colors from the same volume of material with less back strain I would be thrilled with the product.

The picture below shows my stash with 6 colors added. There are a lot of great outdoor experiences associated with these flakes!

Gold.jpg

Last edited:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello there Matt-unique I'm from maine and use the 30" sniper also had the a-52 keene had it out fitted with gold hog matts that worked really well but the bazooka will find the small stuff and fast water is key to keep the flow going good I'm in west paris 45 miles south of the swift river works very well clean up is a snap..........5 gal bucket stick the nose in dunk up and down a couple of times and a quick rinse into the rear and your done that simple.......I don't get up there very often because of time mainly do smaller brooks and streams around here trying to get lucky but haven't done very good lately.......still in thought process of making a high banker version of one of these...really though no disapointments good water flow is key for you I'd recommend a 36" sniper

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can promise you the bazooka will not disappoint

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt, before you go out and buy what you think is going to make you find more gold than the A52, consider the fact that you may have been working in an area that was devoid of gold. You wouldn't do any better with a bazooka. They are nice and light and do recover gold as I have seen a neighbor of mine uses one and loves it. You have to be in the right area first. You just be spending more money on something that I don't think will find any more gold than you A52. How would you know anyway?. 100 years from now equipment will be better than now but prospectors will still have the same ideas that we all have with equipment.

I humbly disagree sir. You will simply move more material with a Bazooka. More material = more gold. More gold from the bad spot and more gold from the good spot.

<3

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding more gold would be nice of course but my priority is equipment that allows me to find the same size gold flakes with less work (i.e. classifying). I added 6 colors to my stash last weekend and if the Bazooka would have worked to find the same 6 colors from the same volume of material with less back strain I would be thrilled with the product.

The picture below shows my stash with 6 colors added. There are a lot of great outdoor experiences associated with these flakes!
View attachment 1024217

Well if you are processing the same amount of matierial you will be done far quicker with the bazooka. And you will get the gold in that same amount (or most likely more retention of gold). The deal with that is say you were only doing 4 five gallon buckets, you do that in less than an hour if you are shoveling right into the bazooka as I am fond of. Betchya stay another hour and double it... :)

yotaboy86

Jul 14, 2014
Nor Cal
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Couldnt have explained it any better p70 ^

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would like to meet up with a BGTrapper, and see how your bgt is outputting the A52

I cant deny it is faster, or easier to clean out..but these last two weeks have shown that MY bgt is losing almost All gold - ive inset the outflow from the 30" prospector directly into the inlet flare of the A52

:?

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to meet up with a BGTrapper, and see how your bgt is outputting the A52

I cant deny it is faster, or easier to clean out..but these last two weeks have shown that MY bgt is losing almost All gold - ive inset the outflow from the 30" prospector directly into the inlet flare of the A52

:?

Almost all of it? What kind of material are you running TGP? Do you have a pic or two of your setups? I've tested my output so much that I started to feel like a fool for checking, never saw a speck.
Post up a video if you can, or some pics and let's take a look. :)

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I humbly disagree sir. You will simply move more material with a Bazooka. More material = more gold. More gold from the bad spot and more gold from the good spot.

<3

Can I like this twice??

Bad spot gold is hard to get, might as well get the sluice that lets you do less work for more quantity of material moved. Bazookas are great tools, for sure.

JB

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Almost all of it? What kind of material are you running TGP? Do you have a pic or two of your setups? I've tested my output so much that I started to feel like a fool for checking, never saw a speck. Post up a video if you can, or some pics and let's take a look. :)

The bgt carries alot of the pebbles and shale rock, and somehow allowing the black sands to pass through. Like i said , i just need a bgt owner to show me up one time. :) I want this to work!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread