Gold in NW Kansas?

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently live in SC but came home to NW corner of Kansas. A family member of mine mentioned a quartz vein in one of his fields and it sparked my interest. This area is no known for any type of gold. Maybe very very old run off from colorado, but not much. So, i had him bring me a decent size chunk into town. In an afternoon we crushed down about a 5 gallon buckets worth and ran it through my mini BGT i have set up as a high banker.

We found about 10 pieces of fly poop sized pieces and 1 bigger spec of gold in it. Now i understand that most gold can be found with quartz, but most quartz does not have gold. This quatrz is a vein. It is pushing up from the middle of a field in an angle. There are chunks around and a visible vein going underground. The nearest creek is about 1200 yards (guesstimated by football fields) at the bottom of the gradual sloping hill. Now the creek bed is usually dry unless there is a good rain.

Been wondering if it is worth further exploring this creek or if it may just be a fluke there was any gold in that small piece of quartz rock we crushed.
The quartz had some clean, smokey, and white quartz all mixed in it. Ill attach a few pics here soon of a few pieces i left out from crushing the quartz that i thought looked interesting. (The wife wanted them).

Please let me know your thoughts. I am a bit puzzled

OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-3583199592.jpg

image-2504570594.jpg

image-2771808806.jpg

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT"S interesting. The only gold I've heard of in that area is glacial. I'll be interested to see what the experts say.
I think an exposed quartz vein in KS is pretty unusual.

OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is as far as i know. My granddad did some sampling all around the area in northwest Kansas. All he ever found was a few tiny specs in old sandpits. Other than that is all he ever found. He passed about a year ago. If he would've known about this I'm pretty sure there would've been a whole mining operation on the family land just so he could find out what was actually there. This is a very weird occurrence based off of what I have found and against my research. that is the whole reason I am asking people here based off of what they know and what they think. Some things you just cannot find on the Internet. It has to be knowledge from all around with different experiences.

OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sadly i cant. I am away from the area. But i dont understand how you mean. Please let me know and ill get it to u. Id like ur imput.

OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But do you think it is worth running material from the creek or around where it is protruding from the ground?

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sadly i cant. I am away from the area. But i dont understand how you mean. Please let me know and ill get it to u. Id like ur imput.

Notice how your pictures have a bluish hue? That's the photo effect. You just need to change modes on your camera/phone to take pictures without any special effects.

OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the late reply. Here you go....

image-2135240785.jpg

image-2346401666.jpg

image-1664397313.jpg

image-971117736.jpg

image-16055177.jpg

image-2795572469.jpg

image-2409358344.jpg

image-2797088160.jpg

Hope these are better

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive been wanting to dredge up in the NW section of the state of Misory (Mo.) but im going to have to settle of the Mississippi River to try out my new 2 inch dredge. its looking real good and has Gold Hog matting in it for that fine gold that the Midwest is known for.the ONLY thing holding me back right now is the current floods and my back. I can work around my acheing back but the flood waters GOT to go down!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The Quartz appears to have been formed in pretty much the same manner as Geodes. Due to the location and the large swath that they Glaciers carved out on their way to the Gulf of Mexico, I would imagine that any Gold in this area is mainly Placer deposits due to the Glaciers. Even the Quartz veins and it's host rock, if not massive layers, could have been deposited in this location by the Glaciers. However, who knows, millions of years ago, Tertiary streams and/or rivers may have flowed into Western Kansas from the Rockies and could have deposited some Gold. Therefore, there could have been two sources, Glacial deposits and Tertiary stream and/or river deposits. While typing this up, I looked up Tertiary stream and river information for Kansas. See the link below for more information.

KGS--Stratigraphic Succession--Cenozoic

Frank

OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info! Thanks! I had no idea where to look for any information. But i will be doing some further investigation next summer when i go home.

But thanks again!

IDdesertman

Dec 8, 2007
Boise, Idaho
Detector(s) used
GPX4500, Gold Bugs
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The gold you are most likely to find in KS is going to be very fine, not veins locked up in quartz. Never say never of course... as far as prospecting the area, you bet! You never know until you try, and there are plenty of guys finding gold in areas that other people say there is "no gold."

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I knew more about geology. Reading that link from Huntsman made my eyes glaze over. I'm not used to reading things where I don't know a good portion of the words...LOL.

OP
OP
Dain8404

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back home for good now. In north central Kansas now. Ran across this. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466185453.166796.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1466185477.443319.jpg . Thoughts?

I'm trying to get permission to dig in spots that have this (I believe to be) grey shale. No luck yet but getting closer.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got back just in time for the hot weather.....
A couple of years ago during the drought, a neighbor cleaned the sediment out of his pond. At the bottom was bluish shale. I wish I would have grabbed some.

Keep us posted

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread