Im wanting to get a Bazooka, still a few questions.

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
I'm wanting to get a Bazooka, still a few questions.

There's a lot of good information on the bazzokas on here but not quite what I need..
I'm thinking of getting a sniper (and or) a prospector. I'm wondering what the difference in the models are the comparison of how much material they can run and the water flow requirements for each. Also what the different lengths are for and how having a longer compared to shorter size affects the performance of the sluice. Any other information is appreciated also, Thanks

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I always recommend a 36" Prospector and the largest sniper that will fit in your backpack.

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bazookas!

If budget is a concern, start with a sniper, a great box that you can run for quite a while between clean outs, and it cleans out into a pan or bucket. I used to run a keene, and when I switched to the 30" sniper, I never used my keene again (not that it isn't a great sluice, but the sniper is perfect for my low flow creeks and rivers...The Prospector was my next purchase, and I got the 36" prospector. My son and I can run material for hours and not clog the trap. Last weekend we ran 25 buckets of unclassified material (we were hauling it across the river so it was a bit of hauling) and only cleaned out 2 times...One time after 5 buckets, and one time 20 buckets later. As far as gold retention goes, we had a great day, we got just over 1/10 of a gram (I know, but the gold is really small here, and the area we were at has been hit hard, its just easy to get to and my wife wanted to pick black berries!). The gold retained was all between 30 and -100, with at least 300 -100 fly poops! The longer ramps just give material a longer better chance for material to become fluid and separate on the way into the trap. If you have low flow the majority of the time I recommend the 30-36" sniper. If your flow is reasonable most of the time, go with the Prospector...or you can do what I did, and get a sniper, a prospector, and a mini! Then you will always be covered unless you want 3-4 people to be able to shovel into the sluice at once...then you need something from the miner series. Also you will likely hear from a bunch of the bazooka faithful, we stand behind our sluices with out question!!

JB

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prospector, get the biggest one you can. I got the 48 inch and havent looked back. Love this thing!

OP
OP
Kamorle

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
Thanks for the tips guys:-) I think I will go with the 48 inch prospector for close to the road spots and 30" sniper for my pack. Budgets not so much of a concern as these sluices are much more reasonably priced than many of the gold toys I've bought.. here is the fine gold I have been getting.

ForumRunner_20140810_073918.png

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That gold does look fine. Unless that's a Mason Jar:dontknow: Good luck with the new BGT.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Both Bazookas will do well for you.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, and very nice! Got a pic of some gold yet?

OP
OP
Kamorle

Kamorle

Jun 26, 2013
I'm working forestry way up in northern Alberta right now but once my contract is done and I'm at home base Ill order the sniper and prospector.. Ill try filling the traps with marbles and run some black beach sands.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or some ball bearings (dry em off after! lol)
GL Kamorle, I bet you see a lot of kick butt water!
Post some pictures.
P70

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm working forestry way up in northern Alberta right now but once my contract is done and I'm at home base Ill order the sniper and prospector.. Ill try filling the traps with marbles and run some black beach sands.
Showing my "newbiness" here, but what is the significance of using ball bearings and marbles in this application?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Showing my "newbiness" here, but what is the significance of using ball bearings and marbles in this application?

If you're running mostly black sand the marbles/bearings/larger gravels etc. will insure that the trap stays fluid otherwise all the heavy sand will just pack solid as the weight/density overwhelms the water pressure coming from the holes in the fluidizing tubes.

I'm thinking marbles will work better than bearings because they would be more active due to their lighter weight.
I've never used anything other than larger gravels myself so I'm only speculating about the marbles vs bearings.

One thing for sure, bearings would make the sluice heavier to lift and also be more weight to pack in and back out.
Just say'n.

GG~

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're running mostly black sand the marbles/bearings/larger gravels etc. will insure that the trap stays fluid otherwise all the heavy sand will just pack solid as the weight/density overwhelms the water pressure coming from the holes in the fluidizing tubes. I'm thinking marbles will work better than bearings because they would be more active due to their lighter weight. I've never used anything other than larger gravels myself so I'm only speculating about the marbles vs bearings. One thing for sure, bearings would make the sluice heavier to lift and also be more weight to pack in and back out. Just say'n. GG~

Interesting perspective GG. In my tests, the opposite happened! When I fed the Prospector nothing but black sand, it blew too much of it out and no fluid bed formed...resulting in gold getting blown out too. add some gravel (phooey on marbles or ball bearings, this is not a jig) and gold retention jumped!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting perspective GG. In my tests, the opposite happened! When I fed the Prospector nothing but black sand, it blew too much of it out and no fluid bed formed...resulting in gold getting blown out too. add some gravel (phooey on marbles or ball bearings, this is not a jig) and gold retention jumped!

Opposite of what?
My post agrees with your tests. I even state that I use gravel to keep the trap from packing solid.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Opposite of what? My post agrees with your tests. I even state that I use gravel to keep the trap from packing solid.
Well it's just that the trap didn't pack solid for me, it did the opposite, only filled fractionally and ejected WAY too much material that it ideally would have held. Maybe if I'd kept feeding it, I would have seen it pack up like it did for you, don't know since I didn't have a way to test that.

Either way, our cautionary tales lead the same direction...get some gravel in the trap to establish the bed!

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it's just that the trap didn't pack solid for me, it did the opposite, only filled fractionally and ejected WAY too much material that it ideally would have held. Maybe if I'd kept feeding it, I would have seen it pack up like it did for you, don't know since I didn't have a way to test that.

Either way, our cautionary tales lead the same direction...get some gravel in the trap to establish the bed!

Yep, not advisable to run all black sand by itself.
For me once the trap was packed with black sand that's when everything after that just washed out over the top of the packed material.
The difference between our experiences are most likely due to you running your sluice at a steeper angle than I do.

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I could see a bit of both going on. Black sand and fine gold blowing around and out or filling the box and not allowing any real fluidity. Either way I can't imagine there isn't some pea gravel nearby to rectify the situation. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread