Hello everyone, a few questions

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been trolling this forum for several weeks and decided to join your ranks as a newbie prospector. I have really enjoyed the discussions and freedom with which information flows here. Thank you all for that. A few questions....I bought an ez sluice a few weeks ago and spent as much time cleaning it out as I did actually running the thing....any suggestions? I was classifying to 1/4".
Secondly, after reading most of the posts I am interested in building a fluid bed sluice, but the trap dimensions are what is making me stumble right now. Plans are for a 5" tall x 10" wide x 36" long sluice with a 2" lower water collector area. I was planning on a 2" x 6" x 10" trap. Is this too big, too small? All info helpful. Going to add wing dam arms to it as well.
Lastly, I live in Colorado Springs and the drive to Cache Creek (2.5 hrs each way) is too far there and back for a day trip for me. Is there anywhere closer to my city that people are willing to divulge the general area...😉

All questions aside, thank you in advance for any and all help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also, the tubes in the fluid bed area will be 1/2" id should I use 3,4, or 5, and holes on sides, bottom, or a combo of those? I know I have a lot of questions, but I have a limited amount of funds, around $65 to build with and I want to get it as close as possible on the first shot.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Welcome to TNet! :)

Do you have the $15 dollar flare on the front of your EZ Sluice? If you don't have one you should buy/build one.
I have never had a problem with buildup on my EZ Sluice, even with a low volume recirculating pump.

Try to get the V shape of the water ripples straight down the middle of your flare and have them meet right at the inspection ribs are the front of the plastic part on the sluice, works every time. :)

As for the fluid bed, yup, just research, trial and error.

Take care.

OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the replies. Yes I got the bonus flare with my ez sluice, but I don't remember where the v met. I will pay attention next time. I may have just been over cautious/zealous with the cleanouts also :).

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KEEP IT SIMPLE-more flow-a little more angle-learn your sluice and forget complicating such a ez thang-relax,enjoy and profit-John

OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cabela's has the AM Alaska flair sluice on sale for $89 plus I have a $10 off coupon. Any thoughts?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cabela's has the AM Alaska flair sluice on sale for $89 plus I have a $10 off coupon. Any thoughts?
a good deal. AM makes good sluices, I love my Expedition although I basically never use it anymore since my Bazookas don't require classifying :)

OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you everyone. I ordered the AM sluice and should have it by next Friday. Just in time for the 3 day weekend. Saving the fluid bed build for a winter project.

Gold Rover

Feb 19, 2014
Western Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you everyone. I ordered the AM sluice and should have it by next Friday. Just in time for the 3 day weekend. Saving the fluid bed build for a winter project.
Start it now or it will drive you nuts waiting to test it and use it! It takes a bit of adjusting and tweaking to make a home brew fluid bed work properly.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The ez works excellent, you don't need to put it on the shelf, just learn how to use it. I would send back the am because the ez is a better sluice.

OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am thinking of trimming the snap in tabs for the riffles a bit to make them easier to remove. That part was a pain in me arse in the colder water here in CO even in the summer. Definitely won't permanently shelve it.

gunflintguy

Oct 4, 2013
Northern Mn
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Blue Bowl
Sluices: 36" Bazooka Gold Trap Sniper, Angus McKirk Recon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chris,

Welcome to T NET.

Have you thought about getting a hold of the local GPAA chapter in the springs. They may be able to help you with finding something closer to the springs.

I was in the springs last month and actually spent a afternoon at Point Bar on the Arkansas River just east of Salida. They do have a few campsites right on the river that I think are free. I use a 36" bazooka sniper and ended up with some nice color there. I finally got around to cleaning the concentrates from there just today.

I was in Colorado for a total of 6 days and spent two days in the Golden area. I went to Arapahoe bar on Clear Creek in Wheatfield. Actually Kevin who answered your post above was the one who pointed these locations out to me.

I also found out that Jefferson County has open space land along the clear creek where you can pan and use non motorized sluices.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No shiny today...:) not even black sand. Poor spot apparently. 3 hrs of sun, solitude and a beautiful creek were nice. Will try again this coming holiday weekend.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chris, there's really no gold in the Springs, just pretty rocks ;)

Gotta go where the gold is...head to the Ark, or north to metro Denver, we sure got it up here :)

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am thinking of trimming the snap in tabs for the riffles a bit to make them easier to remove. That part was a pain in me arse in the colder water here in CO even in the summer. Definitely won't permanently shelve it.

THIS EXACTLY!
I have the same damn problem with mine and worry that I am going to break the box or the riffles trying to get it apart and put it back together.
I shaved the tabs back a little bit but its still not really how I would like it.

The EZ Sluice is a badass little sluice and when connected to another one or two, makes a super badass long tom.

I bought the EZ to easily clean my Bazooka cons but it does so much more than that.
I just wish that they would make an update for those riffles.

btw, the EZ is better than the AM, it just can process as much as that can.

NOW, if you would like to process more there is a mod that you can do.

1.) Buy a second EZ Sluice.
2.) Set them side by side perfectly and temporarily clamp them together.
3.) Drill 6 holes evenly spaced down the sluice thought the inner walls. Be sure to make them large enough to bolts.
4.) Using a 3/4"+ washer on both sides, add a bolt and wingnut to secure the two together.
5.) Fabricate your own flare to deliver good flow to both sides equally. You will have to add a slit in the center of the flare to allow the flare to clear the center walls of the sluice.

This is my own idea for a TeeDee Super Sluice, and it works great and processing loads of screened material.
As far as I know, I am the only one to have thought about this mod.

Want to get ultra crazy with it? Add 2 more for a 2x2 Mini-Tom design.

Yeah, I am crazy with the Cheese Whiz. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, I was up by Cripple Creek in the Nat'l Forest, but I hopefully will be headed up to wheatridge or Parker areas this weekend.

Neo, trimming the snap tabs made it so much easier to do clean outs on the EZ.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread