LR2000 Help

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Exactly what I was looking for...thank you 2cmorau.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only problem inaccurate as all get out. This May both the FS/BLM tried to rip off my claims as they said labor not done FS-then BLM said none-got it in writing also. What a bunch a brain dead idjets with a failed system as sent'm their own signed ,stamped documents for 23 years of work,tax paid and all the insideous bs filed timely-trust LR2000-when Belzabob comes to dinner-John

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was talking to one of the BLM Geologists in the Redding office the day before yesterday and he also warned that LR2000 is almost always way out of date.
Its rather hard to research accurately, by word of mouth only I found a claim that went un-renewed that is still showing active. I am going to jump on it because its close to home.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks John, belly laugh, cuz for concern, eat less work harder

yuup, County office is the place to be

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neo he's the ONLY Geologist I've EVER met who hated mining and miners-believe nuttn' Ron says as one lying sob,I have over 30 years of history with him dealing in meetings,claim exams etc-never to be trusted EVER on ANYTHANG-John

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the info John, keepin it in the ol vault for later use.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish ya could a been at the meeting in May in the Ville and heard that *&^%$:censored: lie,rant and rave like a lunatic in a open public forum sic sic sic-John

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ran into something on LR2000 that I'm hoping others can interpret. I looked into a particular area of interest and saw that all the claims are closed (none active). Most were abandoned in the early '90's. One was filed in 2010 and declared Null & Void in 2011 with the reason "REC AREA PL3137". How can I find more info on this reason? I presume REC AREA means recreational area but it could mean reclaimation area or ? How would I find the document I presume they are referencing with PL3137? Given that the area is unclaimable, how can I confirm what IS allowed (such as gas powered dry washing fed by manual shoveling)?

Background: this area has an old mining road thru it and is in a National Forest. Although gated off, part of it was rebuilt two years ago to support a municipal water diversion reconstruction project. Was last commercially mined in 1934/5. Has lots of walking/hiking/biking trails thru it.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get a hold of the Bureau of Reclaimation as when it comes to water diversion classifications they rule-bummer sorry to hear as the mining world shrinks and shrinks then poof gone-John:censored:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
John, do you think the claims closure has to do with the renovation of the water project? That diversion has been in place for about 100 years so it didn't even occur to me that it would now be a reason to deny claims. The gold bearing area is about 1/4 mile downstream of the diversion and is a high bench deposit btw.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ran into something on LR2000 that I'm hoping others can interpret. I looked into a particular area of interest and saw that all the claims are closed (none active). Most were abandoned in the early '90's. One was filed in 2010 and declared Null & Void in 2011 with the reason "REC AREA PL3137". How can I find more info on this reason? I presume REC AREA means recreational area but it could mean reclaimation area or ? How would I find the document I presume they are referencing with PL3137? Given that the area is unclaimable, how can I confirm what IS allowed (such as gas powered dry washing fed by manual shoveling)?

Background: this area has an old mining road thru it and is in a National Forest. Although gated off, part of it was rebuilt two years ago to support a municipal water diversion reconstruction project. Was last commercially mined in 1934/5. Has lots of walking/hiking/biking trails thru it.

That's not PL 3137 (Public Law) Kevin it's PLO 3137 (Public Land Order). Big difference.

Only the President through the Interior Department or Congress can withdraw minerals so looking in the Forest Service or Bureau of Reclamation records won't give you anything but a headache. :BangHead:

That PLO was a proclamation by John A Carver Jr. the Assistant Secretary of the Interior on August 6 1963. You can find the withdrawal on page 8034 of the 28th Federal Register August 7, 1963. It's a 4,700 acre mineral withdrawal for the Dillon Reservoir Recreation Area. Another 1226 acres was added in 1964.

The BLM case number is 096886, you can look that up as COC 0096886 01 on the LR2000 Land Status tab. It's also outlined on the Master Title Plat for that Township.

The withdrawal order is one of the very few I have seen that prohibits prospecting as well as claiming. It was reviewed, as required, under the FLPMA of 1976 and has been reconfirmed.

It's not unusual to see closed claims in mineral withdrawal areas. The BLM will take any claim filing. Once they have adjudicated the land status they have "earned" their fees and the claim will be void and your filing fees will not be returned. We see a lot of these type of claims every year. Rather than checking the land status people just make a claim wherever they think there is a good spot and end up claiming over another claim, private land or withdrawn lands.

While many of you will see this as another chunk of gold land lost it would be instructive to look at the Federal register volume this withdrawal is found in. There are many many previous closures there being revoked. Just because a piece of land is withdrawn doesn't meant it's gone forever - no matter what many posters on the forum say.

If you think you can establish that a portion of a withdrawal has valuable minerals you can file with the BLM to have that withdrawal revoked. A few pieces of paper and $20 filing fee and the BLM has to go through the process of reassessing the mineral value of the land. If the land is more valuable for minerals you could get the right to make a claim on the newly opened land.

A lot of what is commonly seen as "permanent" land withdrawals can be changed on a whim in the future. Besides the thousands of mineral withdrawals that have been revoked and are now open to claim there are 60 former National Monuments that no longer exist. Nothing is permanent in politics. You and the other users of the Public Lands ultimately control their status. If you want a closed area opened why not plunk down the $20 and prove your case? :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, thanks so much for the research support!

So I can't even sample? Bummer indeed. Wait, how would I gather any data to assert there may be a valuable deposit if I can't even sample?

(My sampling plan involves using a Keene Drywasher so no water use but fairly noisy!)

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, thanks so much for the research support!

So I can't even sample? Bummer indeed. Wait, how would I gather any data to assert there may be a valuable deposit if I can't even sample?

(My sampling plan involves using a Keene Drywasher so no water use but fairly noisy!)

Catch 22? :laughing7:

You could consider that a mineral survey was already done for the area before the withdrawal (and possibly afterward). With the increase in the price of gold and the lack of use of the Rec Area (fenced off?) there might be an argument for the area now being more valuable for it's mineral potential than for the withdrawn use.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Exactly...Catch 22. But Sir, I AM insane, my gold fever proves it! Seriously, I can't figure out where I can find the map of what land they set aside for the Dillon dam. Say again, where would I find it? (The link you provided requires a subscription...should I just go on a google search? Prolly)

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You don't need a subscription to Heinonline. Just go to your county library site and look through their research links. Heinonline will lead you to the Federal Register where you can search for the Year, date, edition and page number, or subject matter.

If you still have problems getting access PM me and I'll tell give the magic key. :thumbsup:

You can find the mapped status of federal lands (minus mining claims and leases) at the Government Land Office (GLO). What you are looking for is the Master Title Plat (MTP) for the area you are interested in.

Go to GLO Land Surveys and put in your State, Township Range and Meridian, and choose Master Title Plat from the dropdown list at the bottom of that form.

The new page will have the links to the Master Title Plat Map that shows where the withdrawal is. You can download that map and study it at your leisure.

You should probably repeat the same search again and choose MTP Supplemental as well so you can see any details not on the Master Map.

Hope that helps Kevin.

Heavy Pans

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Success Barry, thanks SO much! My weekend plans are ON thanks to your help I got all the land issues sorted out :)
...now I just hope I find the paydirt!

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You are welcome Kevin. Glad it worked out for you.

Now you have a new skill in your research arsenal. The MTP is unknown to most prospectors but as you can see it's an important and powerful tool in researching for open gold areas. Sounds like you might get to the gold everyone else thinks is off limits. :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread