Expanded aluminium mesh classifier on Angus McKirk

Sick4gold

Jun 11, 2013
Indiana/Ohio
Detector(s) used
Proline!!!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know what A.M sluice your using but most are drop riffle design.
If a classifier would benefit that design they probably would have put one on as A.M seems to be a reputable company with good reviews. I don't have any personal experience with drop riffle units but in my opinion is leave it alone.
Expanded metal may disrupt how material gets sorted in a drop riffle.
Recommend you contact A.M and ask them but I'm betting they will say not to.
Again not an expert in any way but it would seem that A.M would have tested something like that. It's probably best to pre-classify apposed to modifying a sluice that's already known to work well.
Lots of people have these so I'm sure someone will chime in eventually, hopefully my thinking is right but take my advice with a grain of salt

Last edited:

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the AM Expedition and all you need to do is classify prior to feeding. I use a 3/8 classifier most of the time, but depending on the known gold size on the area, I go down to 1/8". There is no need to nod this sluice. I've had mine for a few years and it will catch the flour gold if your concerned about losing that. Make sure you flow and angle are set right. You can feed this sluice pretty quick as well, just make sure the riffles aren't overloaded and the material is dancing around and you'll be fine.

OP
OP
K

kengold

Greenie
Aug 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for those replies. To date I have been using an Angus Mckirk boss and not classified at all. Even quite big rocks go through it preety well and it is catching fine and coarse gold . Is anybody using them like this? I havent checked to see how much I am losing but everyone on the forum stresses classifying as esssential.

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would classify. Those larger rocks rolling down, even stopping for a second in a riffle, can loosen or blow your gold out. At a minimum, classify down to 1", lower would be better.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
All this classifying talk had my brain running and kept me up until almost 1am this morning. Here are my thoughts on the subject. I have an A.M. Alaskan flair sluice and am now thinking of building a frame out of 3/4-1" angle aluminum, bolt it together, line the frame with 1/4-3/8" hardware cloth and hinge it at the front of the flair for dumping the big stuff in front of the sluice. It would angle up from the front of the sluice to the end of the flair over about 9" with a rise of 2.5". Any thoughts?

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I can see that working out pretty good. I've done something similar before, but I didn't bolt my classifier on. It's works really good , but avoid putting oversized boulders in, try and wash those down first in a bin or bucket. Good idea, I say roll with it. I would brace where ever you bolt the classifier onto the sluice with some heavy gauge 1" Al bars to protect your sluice from cracking. Post pics when done, I'm curious to see what you come up with.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walmart is clearing out grill grates here.

e608304f-1b30-4f17-a6b2-7c593a490fa6_300.jpg

I guess you could just lay it on top, but I'd probably cut the width down so it fits inside. Cut it so you can bend standoffs for maybe 1/2" height. Little wider than a bazooka grate.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After more thinking I am going to rivet the frame together and not attach it to the sluice so it is removable. Going to make the top of it with "wings" of the angle Al about 1" long to sit behind the flair mounting thumb screws. The bottom will have the angle point in down to hook over the entrance to the flair. Will post pics when done.

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking forward to seeing some pictures. thanks

davin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread