How do you run your bazooka?

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So ive been having fun running my bazooka on the north fork of middle fork American for the past few months but im still trying to figure out the most efficient way of running it. Where I run Im digging small flat drift gold that is a decent chase at the moment but it is a good 100 very difficult feet away from the trap making possible for me to run about 15-20 buckets a day. I understand this thing is meant to setup and shovel gravels directly into (im running a 36" prospector) but ive yet to try running it like that. I would suspect the river would have decent flood gold, do most of you dig dry and carry or dig from the bank nearby and carry not that far, or even dig a hold a few feet from the trap and just shovel in? I understand it really depends a lot on the gold content of the gravels but if you could shovel 2-3 times what ive been doing in a day maybe it pays off better? What method has paid off the best for you, im debating re thinking my setup and any suggestions would be appreciated!

Here are some pics of my dig and my setup

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run mine like the fist of an angry god.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Strip the close by area down to bedrock and then carry buckets as little as possible. Shovel like hell and give her plenty of water.

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Run it wide open and bury it in paydirt or in other words try not to carry it to far. Wet the contents of the bucket before dumping on the plate. Nice Chunks.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kidding, I run mine really fast and fearless. Drown it. You will still have the small gold when you are done.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kidding, I run mine really fast and fearless. Drown it. You will still have the small gold when you are done.
right!

I'm amused by how often people don't even test the paydirt they are standing on as they feed their sluice with dirt from 100 yards away! Sample, sample, sample but start close at hand! Also, 10 min building a dam can often let you set up closer to the best paydirt and eliminate a LOT of back breaking dirt hauling. Work smart AND hard!!

Also, If the dirt at my feet is half as gold bearing as the stuff "over there" but I can process 3 times as much of it for the same effort expended, then I get more gold with the less rich material. Follow me?

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Them are some pretty nuggets you got there!:)

OP
OP
Asmbandits

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanted to share, I saw a guy using one of these and thought what a great idea, will hold 25+ gallons and can drag across the rocks and they somewhat flow depending on how heavy you load it. Made two for $10 total.. Just wanted to pass a good idea along!

ForumRunner_20140918_192300.png

Hamfist

Aug 1, 2014
SoCal
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Whippet, 151, GH, shovel, brain
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just got a 30" Sniper a last week and had a chance to run it yesterday. My hole was about 30 feet from my sluice and I spent nearly as much time toting buckets as I did filling them. Plastic barrel pay-dirt sleds, like those pictured above, would make life much easier in that situation. My water flow seemed very aggressive but the trap still held micron gold. I'm extremely impressed. A 36" Prospector is definitely in my future.

Last edited:

Crewsader

Apr 24, 2013
WOW! Now I know how I'm gonna move a LOT more material.
Great idea, and thanks for the pic.
I'll be picking up one of those drums tomorrow!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread