Is the extra 6" worth the $

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The 36" is awesome. The 48" is great for heavy clay but bulky to tote! Get one! They are gold eating machines!

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes get one and put lots of water and paydirt through it!

AugustMoose87

Sep 10, 2014
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having never used either, I can't say which is better. Perhaps you should just buy both, use them until you figure out which one you like, and then sell the other one dirt-cheap to your newest gold prospecting buddy :laughing7:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get the 36" Prospector for easy to get to spots. Get the biggest sniper you can fit in your backpack for remote prospecting.

OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was originally debating between the 36" Sniper and the 30" Prospector, but figured the amount of weight I carry when backpacking and camping is quite a bit more than either Prospector, shovel, pan, water, and food altogether. My ~$200 budget was the only limitation.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the extra 18 inches worth the money?

Every. Inch.

<3
However I did catch myself classifying on the last outing. lots of clay. Havent cleaned out all of it yet, but it's lookin' good!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Real men have the 48" lol

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real men have the 48" lol

If you aren't one when you git the 48 you will be after working it a few times that's for sure : )

Do you deadlift yours straight out of the water Aufisher or do you slide the bucket up the back and stand it up into it? I'm hesitant to dead lift as I'm worried about sucking gold out of the FB through the tubes hahah.

<3

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Put the trap end in a bucket and use those knees to lift the front out! BTW I have crunched buckets before doing this! My buddy's Hangtowndiggins 48" Miner is fricken huge!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
May still end up getting a BGT. Looking at the prospector, but is the extra 6" worth it fromthe 30" to the 36"? Going to be spending most of my time on the creeks and rivers in the Denver area, Fairplay, Cache Creek.....etc.
hi Chris, I used to own the 30" but recently gave it to my nephews in WA and bought the 36". I'm definitely happier with the 36". It has a wider top end to gather more water in and the larger skid plate is nicer to shovel onto.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have a hard time shoveling, can't get it on the plate or have been drinking, the bigger the better lol

OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the replies everyone. It will be a couple of weeks, but I will get the 36".

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good luck and good gold ahead!

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is probably a good reason that the 36" is there best seller, this is why I went with the 36". The extra length give you more time for the gold to fall out of the gravel as it mixes with the moving water and moves twards the grizzles when feeding at a fast pace, seems like these things run better with more flow than less. I ran mine yesterday in the same spot ive ran it all summer but the flow had gone down and the fluid bed wasn't as loose as it should have been and I'm thinking I lost a lot of gold as I was also loading it up more than usual. A good rule of thumb if your cons coming out of the bazooka make you water muddy when panning it's not working properly. Cons should be super washed/clean and leave no dirt or cloudiness in the water your panning

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmm, that leads me back to wondering about the 36" Sniper. Able to work in lower water situations better, but I could use my AM for that. Decisions, decisions.......

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmm, that leads me back to wondering about the 36" Sniper. Able to work in lower water situations better, but I could use my AM for that. Decisions, decisions.......
get the prospector and just keep the AM for super low water...that's exactly what I did/have!

gunlocators

Jun 6, 2014
Lubbock Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought he 30"Prospector and will be using it next week for the first time I may of wished I got the 36" I did last week order a 36" sniper and hope it will be here before the end of the week so I can test it as well.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought he 30"Prospector and will be using it next week for the first time I may of wished I got the 36" I did last week order a 36" sniper and hope it will be here before the end of the week so I can test it as well.
I'm sure you'll still love the 30", that's what I ran as my primary sluice for almost 3 years until I gave it to my nephews...great sluice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread