Bazooka Prospector with v-mat

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love my 48" Bazooka Prospector, except for one thing. (Well, two actually--that sucker is heavy, especially when trying to take if out of the creek filled with cons). I cannot see the gold, so I have to stop and do a clean up. Being so heavy, I would rather not.

So, what if I put some ribbed v-mat (maybe 4") just before the grizzly? The fine stuff would have a chance to separate from the tailings and collect in the v-mat to show some gold; just like in my Keene A52.

Two concerns:

1) I don't want to mess up the action of the Prospector, but I don't think a bit of v-mat would interfere much. Any ideas?

2) Attaching the v-mat. I think I could use commercial rubber cement on both the v-mat and the Prospector, let them dry and then attach. It was suggested in another thread that some solvent would let you separate the two later. Would this approach work and would it harm the Prospector?

Bestine solvent is basically just heptane. No biggie if used in a ventilated area. Normally, as a chemist, I would experiment. ABS should be resistance to rubber cement and heptane solvent, but don't want to risk an expensive sluice. Anyone with ideas on this part of the problem?

Thanks.

LRC253

Aug 5, 2013
Puyallup, WA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking about doing this exact same thing last year but figured the bazooka needs so much water flow it would just blow that matting clean. It's worth a shot if you have extra mat around.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have no problem seeing the gold working down the plate. I dump a shovel load on it and watch the pile separate into four distinct units. Lights go first followed by heavys/rocks then black sand followed by gold. It is not the only gold being caught but after a while you can judge how much you are getting by what your seeing on the plate. If you can count more than 15 pieces moving down its going to be a good day.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your gonna put it on don't put it in front of the grizz. If I was gonna do it(I'm not) i would put it where I introduce the material.When gold hits water it drops really fast thats why all the other material moves down the deck first. The last thing you want to do is put a speed bump directly in front of the trap.IMHO

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Skip the mat. Nice sluice!

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have no problem seeing the gold working down the plate. I dump a shovel load on it and watch the pile separate into four distinct units. Lights go first followed by heavys/rocks then black sand followed by gold. It is not the only gold being caught but after a while you can judge how much you are getting by what your seeing on the plate. If you can count more than 15 pieces moving down its going to be a good day.

Maybe I need to watch more closely, but the gold is so small, I am not sure I will see it. Maybe you have larger gold in Calif. Last time out, I was working flood gold and had a nice current moving through the sluice. Still had a few rock catch up at the grizzly and I would move them with the shovel. I did not see any gold in the plate area. I will look closer next time.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
don't own one but, really impressed with the bazbox when my friends use-em on the claims, one has the low profile v-mat seems to like it just fine

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
don't own one but, really impressed with the bazbox when my friends use-em on the claims, one has the low profile v-mat seems to like it just fine

You mean he has low profile v-mat installed in his Bazooka? Do you have any details? Would love to know where he located it, how he attached it and how well it works...and does he think it interferes any with the fluidization process.

My guess is it must work OK or he probably would have removed it....

Thanks for the info.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have our share of small gold here and the Bazooka will catch it. I don't have the 48" so maybe your shovelful breaks up and dissipates on the plate faster than you can see. With the 48 you might have to use a snow scoop to load it with. I run mine a little flatter at times which helps. If you are putting gold on the plate you should be seeing it.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It sounds like you may not always be confident that there is gold in the feed material and you feel you have to clean up to check. If there is gold in the feed then the zook should catch it so run an occasional test pan from your feed to be sure you are feeding paydirt and if your not, test other areas then resume mining. In other words, place your confidence in the zook but run some test pans or be reasonably sure you are processing paydirt before and while you are mining! Save your clean outs for the end of the day or a regular schedule.
That being said, low rib mat should be available at prospector supply stores but usually not sold by the foot but in pre-cut lengths and widths. I think mine is about 1/16" depth on the vee by 12" by 36". I don't think that the mat would increase turbulence enough to kick the gold and other heavies high enough to miss going through the grizzly. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sample in your pan.
Coming from a Keene sluice myself,I know the need to see it, to know it's still there.
You gotta let go of that man, enough time for looking at it in the vial later.
When I'm shoveling I constantly joke about not eating or smoking, enough time for that at home. Can't dig at the house... Same goes for looking at yer gold ;)
Shovel more!

I think I read something about keeping it 6 inches away from the grizzlies if ya gotta. Would be a pain to clean out though with gold on the slick plate...
Don't do eet! :D

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
shot off an e-mail for a picture, I gave him the low profile matting to install in his Bazooka, you can get it from prospector/mining supply dealers.
You mean he has low profile v-mat ? Do you have any details? Would love to know where he located it, how he attached it and how well it works...and does he think it interferes any with the fluidization process.

My guess is it must work OK or he probably would have removed it....

Thanks for the info.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my experience it can be set up for sampling speed or production speed. It depends on the gold size but by adjusting the slope you will either see gold or move a lot of dirt.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
cool to run it slow enough to see the gold now and then. At the same time, you'd move more material and get more gold running that prospector faster/steeper. Try it!

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
shot off an e-mail for a picture, I gave him the low profile matting to install in his Bazooka, you can get it from prospector/mining supply dealers.

Thank you!

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my experience it can be set up for sampling speed or production speed. It depends on the gold size but by adjusting the slope you will either see gold or move a lot of dirt.

I was moving a lot of dirt. :)

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
cool to run it slow enough to see the gold now and then. At the same time, you'd move more material and get more gold running that prospector faster/steeper. Try it!

Thanks, Kevin. Given the time of year, my next trip will likely be up to Denver somewhere. If I make advance plans instead of spur of the moment, I will drop you a PM and maybe we can met on the creek somewhere.

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love my 48" Bazooka Prospector, except for one thing. (Well, two actually--that sucker is heavy, especially when trying to take if out of the creek filled with cons). I cannot see the gold, so I have to stop and do a clean up. Being so heavy, I would rather not.

So, what if I put some ribbed v-mat (maybe 4") just before the grizzly? The fine stuff would have a chance to separate from the tailings and collect in the v-mat to show some gold; just like in my Keene A52.

Two concerns:

1) I don't want to mess up the action of the Prospector, but I don't think a bit of v-mat would interfere much. Any ideas?

2) Attaching the v-mat. I think I could use commercial rubber cement on both the v-mat and the Prospector, let them dry and then attach. It was suggested in another thread that some solvent would let you separate the two later. Would this approach work and would it harm the Prospector?

Bestine solvent is basically just heptane. No biggie if used in a ventilated area. Normally, as a chemist, I would experiment. ABS should be resistance to rubber cement and heptane solvent, but don't want to risk an expensive sluice. Anyone with ideas on this part of the problem?

Thanks.

I think I found the answer. From a link given by jcazgoldchaser in the "I'm Building bazooka sluice..." thread about the Thomas Creek sluice, I went to Youtube and found the video "Thomas Creek Top Runner II Evaluation" by Reed Lukens, there was a comment by AstroBouncer 2 years ago. He has built and tested his own fluidized bed sluices. He said, "@ 3:45 I recommend not putting black matting or anything on the slick plate cause then it causes all the rocks to hang up from the surface friction. I tried that on my fluid beds and it worked terrible. Nice video!"

Well, there you are, field testing by AstroBouncer says it will cause me to have to shovel more rocks off my Prospector; not my intention. :) Thanks for all of the input from you guys. This site is a great source of information--useful information.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks, Kevin. Given the time of year, my next trip will likely be up to Denver somewhere. If I make advance plans instead of spur of the moment, I will drop you a PM and maybe we can met on the creek somewhere.
I would love that...yes, please do reach out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread