Old sluice from yesteryear

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sluices sure have come a long ways......Thought I'd share this picture I have which reminds me of how lucky I have it today compared to the early 1900's...

Washing Sized 1.jpg ..... Washing Sized 2.JPG ..... Washing Sized 3.jpg

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I couldn't agree more! That poor guy is not only having to move the materials, but the water as well! I'd say it's a fair bet that after a day of working that thing a person would be ready to drop. Well I guess you'd sure sleep well at night.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
and you would wake up everyday wearing the same crusty clothes that you were wearing every day before then......

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would trade him my sluice, gold, and clothes, for his gold if I got to sell it at todays prices:thumbsup:

rodoconnor

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sure worked for it. But remember the gold then was more plentiful and larger. We're working the leftovers [more or less].

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That style of thang is the reason there is still gold today. Slow,laborious,bad recovery and great for the next mining generations-John

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sluices sure have come a long ways......Thought I'd share this picture I have which reminds me of how lucky I have it today compared to the early 1900's...

View attachment 1075345 ..... View attachment 1075346 ..... View attachment 1075347

I am looking for a picture I have somewhere of a hand-carved wooden sluice from the Deutsches Museum in Munich. It was centuries old as I recall. Quite remarkable in that it was all one piece. If I find the picture, I will post it.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in California we were a little more advanced then this guy by the 1900's. The 1884 Sawyer Decision had gone through but many of the Hydraulic mines were still operating. Including the You Bet and Red Dog mines that operated up until WWII.
The Sawyer Decision | Malakoff Diggins

They moved a little more material back in the late 1800's

Malakoff Mine 003.jpg Malakoff Mine 006.jpg

The second one on the right is a picture of the undercurrent riffles at the North Bloomfield or Malakoff Diggins. These are all of Malakoff.
Malakoff Mine 004.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread