goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Well it finally happened. Robi has put in a request for a sluice of her own! After giving it a lot of thought, I've come up with what I think is going to be the best design not only for the materials we/she usually runs but to make it as easy as possible for her to operate. Let me run my thinking on this past everyone and see what you think....

The materials we have been running have been run through a long tom style, a highbanker as well as a drop riffle style of sluice. Each of them has done a pretty good job on catching the gold but all of them still miss some of it. I have been re-running tailings and I want to make it so Robi won't have to do that also. She doesn't want to have to deal with a lot of carpet sections and a single piece of carpet would be rather unwieldy for her to work with.

I've decided that a combination sluice that starts with a slick plate and goes into a drop riffle section followed by a single section of carpet at the end would be effective as well as be easy for her to do clean outs on. The majority of the gold would be caught in the drop riffle section and any of the fines that get washed out of the riffles would be caught by the carpet section at the end. The last of the bars that form the riffles would be undercut so the carpet would fit under it, thus allowing the materials and water to flow from one section to the next with little to no problems. It should be able to handle materials only classified to 1/2 inch.

I've drawn up plans for this experimental design on paper and if I get some time this weekend I'll re-do them on the computer so I can post them here. Overall size of the actual bed will be 48" length and 7-3/4 wide. The narrower width will allow for a smaller pump but I'm planning on setting it up with a 2000gph unit. Stand for it will be fabricated out of PVC pipe.

So if you have any thoughts or ideas let me know! I've never tried a combo design so this could get interesting to say the least.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is this really going to be a sluice (for in stream use or to run clean up style) or a high banker? For a sluice I suggest you make a straight up drop riffle with no carpet at all. Quicker to clean out.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
PVC stand sounds kinda sketchy for the weight you are considering. Also gonna make it hard to level...

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We were talking about the Dahlke Dovetail riffles some years ago and Zooka was saying that a T riffle would accomplish the same cleaning effect on the drop style riffle. I would do this after the slick plate l T T T and then move into your next section. It's something to think about because these are the best style of drop riffles that I have ever used. We built our own for the 6" dredge in my video with a little different angle and width designed in for that dredge and I think that the T riffle is what you are looking for. Just remember as you know :) Keep the slick plate at the same level or a little above the highest point in the first riffle section. Probably some ¾" to 1" T bar would be high enough or maybe start out with a few ½" T bars. Here is one of Indy's links on the Dahlke that goes into the riffles they use.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Is this really going to be a sluice (for in stream use or to run clean up style) or a high banker? For a sluice I suggest you make a straight up drop riffle with no carpet at all. Quicker to clean out.

It's for a re-circ system Kev. You have to remember where I'm at here. The only time there is any water in the "streams" around this place is when the monsoons are going full tilt and then it's usually a flash flood. Robi doesn't want a header box on it (don't ask me why not cause I don't understand it either) so it's going to be a straight box. Once I get moved up to the Kingman area I really doubt that it's going to be seeing much use but I still want it to be able to get every thing in one pass. I get minor blow by with all my current boxes on the -100 gold and the carpet at the end SHOULD help make it so she doesn't have to do summer re-runs on the tailings.

OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
We were talking about the Dahlke Dovetail riffles some years ago and Zooka was saying that a T riffle would accomplish the same cleaning effect on the drop style riffle. I would do this after the slick plate l T T T and then move into your next section. It's something to think about because these are the best style of drop riffles that I have ever used. We built our own for the 6" dredge in my video with a little different angle and width designed in for that dredge and I think that the T riffle is what you are looking for. Just remember as you know :) Keep the slick plate at the same level or a little above the highest point in the first riffle section. Probably some ¾" to 1" T bar would be high enough or maybe start out with a few ½" T bars. Here is one of Indy's links on the Dahlke that goes into the riffles they use.

Good food for thought Reed. I may use some of your ideas on MY next box but I have to make this as light as possible for her given the materials and fabrication equipment I have on hand to make it. I also have to keep the setup on it uncomplicated for her. Once I move up to Kingman, she's going to have to be able to run it on her own so the K.I.S.S. principal is called for here. The last riffle bar will have a notch in it that the carpet can fit under to make it easy for her to remove for rinsing it out. Most likely I'm going to write up an instruction set for her to refer to once I'm gone but that's easy enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
goldenIrishman

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
PVC stand sounds kinda sketchy for the weight you are considering. Also gonna make it hard to level...

She will have my old "processing pad area" which is leveled already. The box isn't going to be that heavy at all so 1-1/2 to 2 inch PVC will hold it with no problem. We're only talking about a 48 inch length on the sluice Kaz.

Of course once I move I'm going to have to make a new processing pad for myself. Most likely I'll make the new one about three times the size of the current one so I can have room for little things like a small ball mill. The new one will also have some shade built in!!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread