If you had 1 day to sluice where would you go

Seden

Jan 28, 2008
DizzyDigger,
Here in California it's against the law (technically speaking) to bring in dirt to any creek/river. The dirt has to come from either the bank or in the stream,period. Washington State must allow you to bring in foreign dirt huh?

I do run a recirculating system as a matter of fact and yes it took a lot of experimenting with the set up and flocculants to get it right. But I also bring 50 gallons after all is said and done. Keep in mind that here you do have the "In between season" where it's too wet to drywash.
This coming Tuesday they are predicting heavy rain here and some Wednesday too. Man I hope it's an epic downpour so I can get some "fresh new" gold as my area's pretty much played out due to the drought!

Heavy Pans.

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YAHOO Randy comn' down like crazy,4" in a couple of days and just 40+" short of a good year. Being blasted by righteous downpours as I type away. Went to claims and around above shasta lake yesterday and them creeks are a flown' like crazy now-Stay warm bud,hope you had a great thanksgiving-John

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For SoCal go to the East Fork of the San Gabriel River go to the end of the road and park. Hike right down from there or go 1/2 mile past the gate to Heaton Flats. DIG DIG DIG!

Also look up the "bridge to nowhere", it's a great 5 mile hike and you can bungee jump off the bridge too!

Scottlad

Dec 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the Peruvian rain forest, but I doubt I would get around it in a day :S

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For SoCal go to the East Fork of the San Gabriel River go to the end of the road and park. Hike right down from there or go 1/2 mile past the gate to Heaton Flats. DIG DIG DIG!

Also look up the "bridge to nowhere", it's a great 5 mile hike and you can bungee jump off the bridge too!

Ya and you can ask for the prospector special and jump with your pan and shovel in hand. They just extend the bungee an extra 10'.........

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Easy--Lowe's Fraction in the Yukon; at the confluence of Bonanza Creek and El Dorado Creek (I think; this is from memory from long ago; I'm sure about the first name, but not the second). Lowe was a helper on a survey crew. The surveyor found a fraction between the actual surveyed claims. As a surveyor, he could not claim it, but Lowe could. He did but tried to sell it, but couldn't. So he worked it himself; the claim had the richest ounce per square foot of any ever staked in the Yukon. Apparently Lowe took out 2400 ounces in 8 hours.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Easy--Lowe's Fraction in the Yukon; at the confluence of Bonanza Creek and El Dorado Creek (I think; this is from memory from long ago; I'm sure about the first name, but not the second). Lowe was a helper on a survey crew. The surveyor found a fraction between the actual surveyed claims. As a surveyor, he could not claim it, but Lowe could. He did but tried to sell it, but couldn't. So he worked it himself; the claim had the richest ounce per square foot of any ever staked in the Yukon. Apparently Lowe took out 2400 ounces in 8 hours.

Of course, Dick Lowe's life changed for the worse after that. Just like Cowboy Bob Womack, who discovered the rich float in Cripple Creek. Womack went to Old Colorado City (between Manitou Springs and Colorado Springs today) and got drunk. Sold the claim for what turned out to be chicken feed. Lowe basically stayed drunk the rest of his life also.

My second place is still pretty good. A professional geologist told me of the place but would not locate it more specifically than lower Alaska; he test panned a placer there as part of his job. One pan was 40 oz; nearly 3 pounds of gold, nearly $50,000 in today's price! Imagine what a day of slucing there would be like. Again, like Lowe's Fraction, this is not dredge concentrates, but stream-run material. Lowe's fraction was a triangle no bigger than 86 feet at its largest point. I have no idea how big this one in lower Alaska was, though I doubt the entire placer ran 40 oz to the pan. Still, a day with a sluice would be magnificent, don't you think? :)

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wouldn't mind spending a day at porcupine creek or the big nugget mine. What's up with lil brother Payson?

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wouldn't mind spending a day at porcupine creek or the big nugget mine. What's up with lil brother Payson?

Well I suppose that most people, even siblings, are their own person... My sister and I are different in many ways and chose different career paths. Although when I was in my late teens and twenties, I chose a career auto-mechanics like my father (since I had been involved in it my whole life) in which she would have never chosen. Maybe Payson is not interested in gold or the construction business...

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
He seemed pretty interested in the "Grandpa's Gold" episode. Pretty sure he could show me around. Freddy Dodge's Carmacks claim seems to have a lil gold too.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're sure getting some mileage out this post Sherry.

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey, you wanna go with me and split gas? My New SUV get great mileage!!! I'll be heading up early Wed morning )04/15 and stopping at another river to prospect for the afternoon stay overnight, Prospect the next day stay overnight again and then head up to the bash on Friday morning. Returning on Sunday.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok following Sherry's lead (hey she hijacked the thread first so it's ok right? LoL!):
Tomorrow COlorado tnet folks can come see my little red prospector-mobile and join a group of us digging in Clear Creek Canyon up highway 6 west of Golden. Just look for my little red car and my buddy's big white pickup sitting on the side of the road and come join us! Dredges are welcome up to 4" with no paperwork needed although I'm bringing a couple Bazookas of course!

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Isn't it 4-10,11,12 Sherry?? I think you're going to be late.🙊

Last edited:

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wanna, I don't think I can though. You've twisted my arm before tho. :dontknow: We'll talk.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I suppose that most people, even siblings, are their own person... My sister and I are different in many ways and chose different career paths. Although when I was in my late teens and twenties, I chose a career auto-mechanics like my father (since I had been involved in it my whole life) in which she would have never chosen. Maybe Payson is not interested in gold or the construction business...

No wonder you are so handy with building your own equipment! I thought it was a bit unusual--that a woman get interested in gold prospecting and before long is building hand dredges that make it look like she has been doing it all her life. On top of that she was an Alabama girl! I lived in Birmingham, Montgomery and Atmore (at least 3 years each location) and married an Alabama girl myself. The only downer is that she is not a gold prospector like you.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok following Sherry's lead (hey she hijacked the thread first so it's ok right? LoL!):
Tomorrow COlorado tnet folks can come see my little red prospector-mobile and join a group of us digging in Clear Creek Canyon up highway 6 west of Golden. Just look for my little red car and my buddy's big white pickup sitting on the side of the road and come join us! Dredges are welcome up to 4" with no paperwork needed although I'm bringing a couple Bazookas of course!

Drat! My wife and I just got back from Spring Break with kids and grandkids at Winter Park CO. Lots of snow and good skiing but I am ready for some creek time. I would have come, but did not find out about it until now and it will be a bit too late by the time I get my Bazooka loaded, refill the car (on empty from the trip back from Winter Park). We drove right past Idaho Springs and Clear Creek yesterday and I though very much about getting into a creek and doing a bit of sluicing.

Now I have papers to grade to turn back tomorrow and a lesson to prepare; duty before pleasure, but man I sure would love to have joined you Kevin and met some of the other guys from the Denver area.

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread