If you had 1 day to sluice where would you go

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No wonder you are so handy with building your own equipment! I thought it was a bit unusual--that a woman get interested in gold prospecting and before long is building hand dredges that make it look like she has been doing it all her life. On top of that she was an Alabama girl! I lived in Birmingham, Montgomery and Atmore (at least 3 years each location) and married an Alabama girl myself. The only downer is that she is not a gold prospector like you.

I'm from Troy, 40 minutes south of Montgomery. The downside of having all this mechanical knowledge is that it's difficult to keep conversations with the lady's when they are talking about girly stuff. After all, I'd rather be talking shop with the boys which I have more in common with.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Drat! My wife and I just got back from Spring Break with kids and grandkids at Winter Park CO. Lots of snow and good skiing but I am ready for some creek time. I would have come, but did not find out about it until now and it will be a bit too late by the time I get my Bazooka loaded, refill the car (on empty from the trip back from Winter Park). We drove right past Idaho Springs and Clear Creek yesterday and I though very much about getting into a creek and doing a bit of sluicing.

Now I have papers to grade to turn back tomorrow and a lesson to prepare; duty before pleasure, but man I sure would love to have joined you Kevin and met some of the other guys from the Denver area.

Dave

Dave, we will get another day organized soon :) I ended up missing out today too as I got some virus and have to stay close to the toilet right now :(

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya know...... I coulda gone all day without that little bit of information..........:laughing7:
By the way.... get well soon.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dave, we will get another day organized soon :) I ended up missing out today too as I got some virus and have to stay close to the toilet right now :(

Sorry to hear that. My daughter got strep while we were in Winter Park, so most of the family is on antibiotics right now. I hope to be well for school tomorrow.

Keep me in mind for your next get-together on the creek or river.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm from Troy, 40 minutes south of Montgomery. The downside of having all this mechanical knowledge is that it's difficult to keep conversations with the lady's when they are talking about girly stuff. After all, I'd rather be talking shop with the boys which I have more in common with.

I have been to Troy many, many times; most of them were likely before you were born. One brother-in-law played football there after transferring from a college in New York when they cancelled football back in the early 60's. He later returned to Troy, taught at TSU, owned Troy Motors for a couple of decades, and represented Sim Byrd when he left TSU to go pro. He still lives there, as does a nephew. Small world! I have sisters that went to TSU, Alabama and Auburn, as well as Samford.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Took the little sluice out today and got a little. Water is way down though. Hope we get some April showers. Your sniper would still run Sherry.

Sorry but I'll have to miss the bash this time. I have an important previous engagement.

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been to Troy many, many times; most of them were likely before you were born. One brother-in-law played football there after transferring from a college in New York when they cancelled football back in the early 60's. He later returned to Troy, taught at TSU, owned Troy Motors for a couple of decades, and represented Sim Byrd when he left TSU to go pro. He still lives there, as does a nephew. Small world! I have sisters that went to TSU, Alabama and Auburn, as well as Samford.

Dave, what's your brother-in-law's name? My very first job was working at Troy Motors as a Service Writer as a teen then later as a Warranty Processing Clerk.

Sim Byrd still hold records at Troy!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dave, what's your brother-in-law's name? My very first job was working at Troy Motors as a Service Writer as a teen then later as a Warranty Processing Clerk.

Sim Byrd still hold records at Troy!

Sherry, here is an article from the Troy University Magazine about him, Nick Cervera. Troy University Magazine

He owned Troy Motors but was not involved in the day-to-day running of the business. I bought a car or two there. :)

And yes, Sim Byrd still owns most of the Troy QB records after 40 some years. I think I remember a chicken drive-in type eating place there in Troy owned by Sim Byrd. No idea if it is still there.

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, of course I know Nick! I worked there when he and Charlie Nonnenman owned it and Charlie was GM. Nick represented me in my divorce, it was fun, he shut my Ex up real quick and made him look like the fool he was. LOL! His son Michael and I used to hang together with a group of mutual friends, we still chat every now and then on FaceBook. I also used to help Charlie's nephew Jim who worked in the parts dept with his lawn service business after work each day. All the retired men in the country club estates would sit on their front porches and watch me bouncing around on the lawnmower cutting their grass. He got lots of new business there, of course I was only 20 yrs old then... LOL!!! I'm still friends with Jim and his brother Dave.

I only remember Crowe's Fried Chicken because no other compared! I believe it is was owned by a man named Sherrell Crowe.

Sorry for the long story, but it really is a small world. here is a pic of me in the showroom the same day of my divorce. I wonder if I ever met you there?...

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427736839.001397.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427736839.001397.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, of course I know Nick! I worked there when he and Charlie Nonnenman owned it and Charlie was GM. Nick represented me in my divorce, it was fun, he shut my Ex up real quick and made him look like the fool he was. LOL! His son Michael and I used to hang together with a group of mutual friends, we still chat every now and then on FaceBook. I also used to help Charlie's nephew Jim who worked in the parts dept with his lawn service business after work each day. All the retired men in the country club estates would sit on their front porches and watch me bouncing around on the lawnmower cutting their grass. He got lots of new business there, of course I was only 20 yrs old then... LOL!!! I'm still friends with Jim and his brother Dave.

I only remember Crowe's Fried Chicken because no other compared! I believe it is was owned by a man named Sherrell Crowe.

Sorry for the long story, but it really is a small world. here is a pic of me in the showroom the same day of my divorce. I wonder if I ever met you there?...

That is just amazing! You know Nick and Michael! Rickie, Michael and Lisa were the kids and my wife and I used to visit Troy all the time when my sister Pat was alive. I bought my last car at Troy Motors at 1981; a white Buick Skylark to take to Colorado Springs and the Air Force Academy. (I remember Charlie also, but had forgotten his last name). Due to military assignments in Colorado, then Germany and back to Colorado Springs, I think it was about a dozen years before we made it back to Troy. If you were working there when we bought the Skylark, we might have met. (The other times were earlier.)

Michael did Guard duty in Germany one summer while I was stationed there, so he got to see us a couple of weekends since we were in the same area. He loved me picking him up at his unit since the CO was a Captain and I was a Major. I am going to have to tell Michael I met Sherry from Troy (and Troy Motors). We talk occasionally; usually when he wants to ask me something about my Dad (his grandfather) and his military service/career. My Dad bought a car about every 2-3 years from Nick, I think. All Buicks.

Anyway, it is a very small world. We'll have to meet sometime. Kevin mentioned wanting to be fully retired so he could drive out to California for the Motherlode Miners Bash get together. If I were fully retired, I offer to help drive and split expenses.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And the only other thing I can say, seeing the picture of you at Troy Motors, is that your ex-husband was stupid or blind or something. And besides, you love gold prospecting!! (and I can understand how Jim's business increased dramatically). LOL

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL!!! Well I didn't work there until 1989 while I was still in high school so unfortunately I wouldn't have met you. Michael should know exactly who you are talking about when you mention me. LOL!!! I would totally love for you guys to make it out this way too be day! That would be so awesome!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL!!! Well I didn't work there until 1989 while I was still in high school so unfortunately I wouldn't have met you. Michael should know exactly who you are talking about when you mention me. LOL!!! I would totally love for you guys to make it out this way too be day! That would be so awesome!

I told you that you were too young. :)

I would love to come back to California to do some mining. I am sure Kevin would, too. Of course, neither of us are fully retired. :( Maybe some of us here in Colorado can do a road trip out there some day.

I called Michael but he is likely in class. He'll call back and we'll chat.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A CA trip is definitely in my future but like Dave says, being not quite retired yet makes it tough (heck I'm mostly working in Boston right now...long way the wrong direction!)...but my time will come soon ;)

yodi

Mar 24, 2015
NE Washington
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master / Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't have any advice on were to go but the way your state is heading you probably only have a few years before your not allowed to step of the pavement. So you should hurry.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Well, I talked to Michael today. He had been busy most of the week helping his girlfriend move into an apartment in Birmingham. He called me back and we chatted. Yes, Michael certainly remembered you; he was somewhat sweet on you!! And apparently so were most of the other guys who worked there at Troy Motors also; not that I am surprised. :)

He wanted to know how I knew you. He also told Dave (Jim's brother) that "his uncle knew Sherry." Dave goes, "How is that, since your uncle is in Colorado and Sherry is in California?" So I had to explain how we discovered there was only one degree of separation between us (twice; actually 3 times since Michael said you also know his brother [my nephew] Rickie).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread