Recirculating sluice

bubb1981

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1e47326f69b6c77743e2e856b4d4bb0a.jpg

I was wondering what everyone thinks of this.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think, you have quite a tidy garage!

On a lighter note, your setup looks good. What pump are you using for flow?

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
bubb1981

bubb1981

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
8f0236d8ae271131803a0af924fc41e8.jpg

This is the pump I got.

OP
OP
bubb1981

bubb1981

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I do have a rdh header box coming so I dont have to jerry rig the spray bar.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great setup but I'd add a paint filter-cheap as dirt at Home depot/lowes-and attach to feed in pipe outlet on pump side to prevent clay floatation into your pump feed bucket. Nothing sticks like glue and slowly closes up spray bar holes and bilge pump impellers. Cool tool-John

OP
OP
bubb1981

bubb1981

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll do that thanks.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Setup looks good !

I will second John, get a small screen filter around your pump feed so not to damage your pump with debris . And it will serve you longer time.

OP
OP
bubb1981

bubb1981

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is it running

OP
OP
bubb1981

bubb1981

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I dont know why my video of it running wont load

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
1e47326f69b6c77743e2e856b4d4bb0a.jpg

I was wondering what everyone thinks of this.

You will need a tub within the lower tub to catch all the dirt and rocks or this tub will fill quickly with dirt and rock. The tub within the tub needs to have a bunch of small holes drilled in the bottom to drain the water off so that you can pull the tub out and dump the dirt and rock without losing the water. Then replace the tub until it fills again with dirt and rock.

Better yet is to use a three tub recirculating system and use siphon tubes. The siphon tubes suck water from the center of the tubs and any floating crap will not reach the tub containing the pump and you the user will skim the crap that is floating. Plus the siphon hose will keep the tubs perfectly balance in water level. This system works great. Another option is to get a section of Master Cool cooling pad that is 7 inches thick and you use it as a water filter in the tub containing the pump. The pad needs to be tight from side to side in the tube and not allow anything to reach the pump side of the tub. The pad needs to be position in the tub so the holes within the master cool pad are going uphill, the dirt and crap will not flow up hill and will settle within the pad. I have a triple tank system using the Master Cool pad and it works fantastic in keeping the sludge out. Remember for every 5 gallons of dirt that you put into your sluice 95 percent of the dirt sand rock is going into the tub that the sluice dumps into. You need a means of capturing that dirt and dumping it.

Tripple Tank.png Triple1.png Master.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
bubb1981

bubb1981

Jun 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Yeah when I have more room to build something like that ill most definitely do what your talking about. Thats pretty cool system that you have.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. Yeah when I have more room to build something like that ill most definitely do what your talking about. Thats pretty cool system that you have.

Here's my siphon tub
IMG_20141204_190855.jpg

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The size of the siphon tubes are in relation to the amount of GPH's your pump is delivering. Will not hurt have much larger tubes as soon as you turn your pump off the siphon tubes will sit idled until you turn the pump back on, provide the siphon tubes do not lose suction. I built my tubes out of cheap 3" white drainage pipe from HD and two elbows and make them in a U shape. Then to get the siphon started you submerge the entire U tube under water getting all air out of the tube, then with a rubber ball that fits the ID of the tube tight plug one end, next pull the ball in over into the other tank making sure the other in of the tube stays submerged. Then remove the ball and you will have suction until the tanks balance out. Once the pump starts drawing water the tubes will begin their siphoning to balance the tanks.

Last edited:

MrWareWolf

Aug 22, 2014
N. Utah, USA
Detector(s) used
Generic 30" keene/jobe/royal-style sluice with flare, riffles, expanded metal, moss matt under riffles..
California Bucket Sluice concentrator
want: falcon pinpoint detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My attempt at a 3-tier siphon ~ fail.. 2-tier also ~ fail.. Try try again.. 8)

The size of the siphon tubes are in relation to the amount of GPH's your pump is delivering. Will not hurt have much larger tubes as soon as you turn your pump off the siphon tubes will sit idled until you turn the pump back on, provide the siphon tubes do not lost suction. I built my tubes out of cheap 3" white drainage pipe from HD and two elbows and make them in a U shape. Then to get the siphon started you submerge the entire U tube under water getting all air out of the tube, then with a rubber ball that fits the ID of the tube tight plug one end, next pull the ball in over into the other tank making sure the other in of the tube stays submerged. Then remove the ball and you will have suction until the tanks balance out. Once the pump starts drawing water the tubes will begin their siphoning to balance the tanks.

I just tried to make a three tier syphon system, and I failed miserably.

Then I tried just two buckets, but that also couldn't siphon the water fast enough. I don't have any 3" tubing, so I was using a pair of 1/2" hose lines, wire tied together. It was siphoning, but no where near quickly enough. I'll grab some 3" hose from Deseret Industries or something. I don't need anything pretty, & just a couple 3 foot runs should do it.

I'm using a "little giant" 550gph pool cover pump, and a regular garden hose with 3/4" ID into a bucket sluice.

I also need to get a hose T with valves, so that I can regulate the water flow better.

A trick I did pick-up about the siphon'ing: use a large glass jar for the ends of your hose, this will help them stay under water (when the jar is on its' side), and if you stand the jar up (while the rim is submerged), it will minimize the amount of material that gets into the jar.

One of these days I will just put a large hole in a couple buckets, and make a connection using a REALLY big tube, but then I gotta put a filter on one end, and that could clog up..

Oh me oh my what to do.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
or make them waterfall into each other? ;)

Edit:
My siphon tub is lower than the eject tub

MrWareWolf

Aug 22, 2014
N. Utah, USA
Detector(s) used
Generic 30" keene/jobe/royal-style sluice with flare, riffles, expanded metal, moss matt under riffles..
California Bucket Sluice concentrator
want: falcon pinpoint detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep. Going to play with that next..

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just tried to make a three tier syphon system, and I failed miserably.

Then I tried just two buckets, but that also couldn't siphon the water fast enough. I don't have any 3" tubing, so I was using a pair of 1/2" hose lines, wire tied together. It was siphoning, but no where near quickly enough. I'll grab some 3" hose from Deseret Industries or something. I don't need anything pretty, & just a couple 3 foot runs should do it.

I'm using a "little giant" 550gph pool cover pump, and a regular garden hose with 3/4" ID into a bucket sluice.

I also need to get a hose T with valves, so that I can regulate the water flow better.

A trick I did pick-up about the siphon'ing: use a large glass jar for the ends of your hose, this will help them stay under water (when the jar is on its' side), and if you stand the jar up (while the rim is submerged), it will minimize the amount of material that gets into the jar.

One of these days I will just put a large hole in a couple buckets, and make a connection using a REALLY big tube, but then I gotta put a filter on one end, and that could clog up..

Oh me oh my what to do.

You need large siphon tubes. You want to displace the water in the tanks at a fastet rate than your pump or pumps can deliver. Otherwise the pumps will drain the tank and you will lose suction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread