okay new ideas on bazookas?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okay new idea's on bazooka's?

we know we have had some issues with the grizzlys from time to time was wondering on my next new one if I were to take 1/4" punch plate or preferated plate put it over the grizzlys do you think this would work a little better or do you think it would hinder gold trapping in the box? also does it make a difference of what metal type of punch plate to use as far as rocks sliding off better? alright guys tell me what you think and your theories.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think the punch plate will be fine as far as how things work down in the trap. Only warranted if you have a lot of flat rocks though I think. It would likely cause more rocks to hang up on the way down the sluice though...only way to know is to try it of course...which I've not done.

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Brandon, Punchplate is flow restrictive unlike grizzly bars. If you wanted to try some I recommend a piece at least 3x the length of the grizzly to provide the flow necessary to the box. It doesn't make a great in-flow classifier either and could cause a lot of fines to ride over the top. Some 1/4" screen may be better to get both flow and classification.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
interesting............ maybe a tighter grizzly? I probably ought to leave well enough alone LOL! another ? if I get a longer bazooka for say I had a 30" sniper before and my thought was for a 36" would this give me more water velocity at the grizzly's?

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
more flow, more tilt, less rocks.
PS. if a rock sits there, its not the end of the trip... I only manually clear if the next two shovel loads doesn't knock it out.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well that's all right I'm looking forward towards next summer I'm going to be put on part time from work this year so i'll have roughly 4days a week off and 2 weeks paid vaca I can't wait my father just gave me a early xmas present of practicly new 6 man stand up tent and will actually have time for experimentation 4 wheeler to boot were getting excited for some gold and will get the time experiment!

Timberdoodle

Oct 17, 2012
Kingfield, Maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant wait for spring. Looks like were in for a long winter though. Next year I want to spend more time in the field and less time in the shop.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm feeling bad for you guys stuck in Maine, I'll think of you as I do my next winter prospecting outing later this month :) ...here in CO

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ray-charles1.jpg
Can't see anything! lol
Bring us the pic!

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just think of mine as the worlds best classifier. Then if I have to scrape rocks off the grizzly it's part of the process. It grabs gold quick so it's not a deal breaker for me to do so.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please save the photo and upload it here. :)

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if everything goes well I have a metal detector sale pending so if it goes through I've decided to get a 36" sniper and AM explorer for slow water or low water conditions

KRIKITTS

Sep 19, 2014
STATE OF JEFFERSON
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wont let me view the photo ???

Didnt know you had to be signed in to veiw photo's...srry 'bout that. easy enough to join tho, real good group too! Tried several times to post the pic but this computer barely keeps up with the internet so I'll try a diff one later. Check it out if you got time tho, looks like a real good setup!

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okay you got me im trying to picture whats going on here :icon_scratch: with the peanut butter container? I never said I was the sharpest tool in the draw LOL!

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1000gph bilge pump from Harbor Freight. Does pretty good. I set the BGT up almost as flat as I can and still wash dirt through it. Want the dirt to stay in the trap for as long as possible. Sluice drains into a 5 gallon bucket, and so must be emptied every time I run 5 gallons. Pump is setting in a wire mesh waste backet about half way between the top and bottom of the water. Here's a pic of the peanut butter jar.

0930141641.jpg

Have another picture of the setup somewhere, but can't find it. Anyway, I'm happy with how this works.

Because I'm away from the water in that picture, I'm screening to -4 and so don't have to worry about clogging up the grizzly.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread