looking for angus mackirk recomendations?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DiveDeep808

Greenie
Apr 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vaquero,

My friends and I have extensively used the angus mackirk AU trap stream sluice with great success. It captures large and very fine gold with ease. They make it in 4 sizes starting with the scout being the smallest and the boss being the biggest. So im sure theres a size that will fit your needs. As for operation of the sluice I find wet classifing to 1/2in works well. Wet calssifing will also improve your fine gold recovery as the water knocks the gold off the rocks and breaks up the material. As with any sluice you have to adjust it a few times to get optimal results but the mackirk tends to run a lot flatter than most sluice boxes you will see what I mean if you put to much angle on it. If you have any otbher questions PM me.

wtetro

Jan 6, 2013
Aridzona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the AM Expedition and like DiveDeep808 mentioned, it will catch chunkys down to fly-poop. It works real well in higher flows and in flows where you can not use a conventional sluice. Any of the AM models should get you the low flow performance you're looking for. And you can't beat the clean-up on it, I can dump my sluice cons and start feeding it again in under 3 minutes. I have epoxied a piece of ribbed mat where the slick plate is and this helps break up any remaining clay balls and slows down the pay dirt from entering the sluice and allows the gold more time to drop. I rarely see any gold past my 3rd riffle, and I get a lot of fines trapped in the ribbed mat. It's nice to have for an inspection area too. Sometimes larger pieces get caught in the ribbed mat and I just use my snuffer to suck them up real quick.

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a couple Recon II's and the full size Long Tom. I've used other AM sluices also and not all of them are designed equal. The Recon II is a good design and we use it all of the time.

20140719_092120.jpg

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I ended up buying a AM recon II abyss with the new trench riffle so we'll see how that works out..........Reed does yours have this new set up? if you do how do you set yours up and what could I expect with it?

Last edited:

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I ended up buying a AM recon II abyss with the new trench riffle so we'll see how that works out..........Reed does yours have this new set up? if you do how do you set yours up and what could I expect with it?

Yup :) That's it. Set it up just like it says by using the built in lines on the sluice. Just like DiveDeep808 said we have done a lot of work with the Recon II but he is the Master of it and we bought one after using his the first few times. Send him a PM if you have any questions. Basically first you need to put yourself on the gold and then the sluice will make it easy on you. We dump in a bucket and then clean it into a bucket in a few seconds and continue. It will recover fines on up to whatever your largest screen size is. We use a ½" Garret classifier.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Reed I appreciate the info!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread