A52 vs Bazooka Gold Trap

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now you do get the double like......

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's an old hemorrhoid ad lol.

Oh, we don't watch TV much anymore, just DVD's of stuff we like, Foyle's War, Numb3rs, NCIS, Burned Notice, Midsomer Murder, etc. With DVD's we don't have to watch the commercials.

Still, hemorrhoids do not make sluicing any easier, so if their product worked, just might be a good thing to know. :)

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Old school rocks in comparison to a bamboogleajerka-John

Relax guys, one of the forum's most infamous characters stir'n it up and probably just for sport. Its been a while(I think he was due)

benny

Sep 15, 2012
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the bazooka, too. But to be fair, the A52 will run with a lot less water. They both serve their purpose. Consider building a small gold trap sluice and take both along.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the bazooka, too. But to be fair, the A52 will run with a lot less water. They both serve their purpose. Consider building a small gold trap sluice and take both along.

Good idea; I am doing just that but the Keene still stays home and I will take my Le Trap instead and my small Bazooka (that I am making).

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Whites,Le trap,Gold Hogg sluice,bed rock tools
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of folks love the Bazooka.I bought mine in 2011 and used it for year to see how I liked it.At the time I was digging up High grade pay in gravel bars on the East Fork San Gabriel River.I wanted something I could shovel into fast.I got annoyed with the grizzly getting plugged with rocks,having to stop and clear them constantly.I took the grizzly off and installed a piece of punch plate for a top classifier.This helped a lot.One other problem I noticed is the fluid bed tubes can get clogged with leaf material easily.If you dont notice this right away you will be loosing gold.I run my sluices in fast water and run them hard.I dont classify or use a pooper scooper.I like to shovel full scoopes at a time,thats how I can pull multiple grams per day.On the East Fork many other people just shovel straight into there sluice with no classification what so ever,no matter what sluice they are using,A52,La Trap,Whatever.Trust your sluice they all work.I personally like La Trap and shovel straight in with fast water.A lot you are probably cringing,thats ok.I get more gold by moving more material than worrying about loosing a few fly poops.The big stuff will stay put.

a

Last edited:

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use the Bazooka, La Trap or the Angus as I still like to run a detector over my tailing piles at some locations. It all comes down to the right tool for the area.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Lots of folks love the Bazooka.I bought mine in 2011 and used it for year to see how I liked it.At the time I was digging up High grade pay in gravel bars on the East Fork San Gabriel River.I wanted something I could shovel into fast.I got annoyed with the grizzly getting plugged with rocks,having to stop and clear them constantly.I took the grizzly off and installed a piece of punch plate for a top classifier.This helped a lot.One other problem I noticed is the fluid bed tubes can get clogged with leaf material easily.If you dont notice this right away you will be loosing gold.I run my sluices in fast water and run them hard.I dont classify or use a pooper scooper.I like to shovel full scoopes at a time,thats how I can pull multiple grams per day.On the East Fork many other people just shovel straight into there sluice with no classification what so ever,no matter what sluice they are using,A52,La Trap,Whatever.Trust your sluice they all work.I personally like La Trap and shovel straight in with fast water.A lot you are probably cringing,thats ok.I get more gold by moving more material than worrying about loosing a few fly poops.The big stuff will stay put.

a

Well, it does help to put a leaf guard on the lower part. I put a screen over the grizzly, and while that reduced the amount of material going into the fluid trap, I think the grizzly is better left without the screen. Also, my understanding is that with the grizzly you have better retention of gold than with a punch plate. I cannot argue one way or the other because I have not tried the punch plate.

And yes, I have shoveled right in with my Le Trap and it catches almost everything. I get better retention with slow feeding of the non-classified material, but since I usually am in only -20 stuff or smaller, I prefer not to classify and to feed slowly. Therefore if my Bazooka will properly process the material, I can not classify and feed fast! So, if conditions are right, guess which one I do?

I agree having several sluices so you can pick the one to fit the conditions is great. Right now my Keene is part of my recirculating set up.

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I made the punch plate classifier fit the entire bazooka not just the grizzly.I also recently switched from punch plate to 1/2 flat expanded metal for coarser gold chunks and no problems. It works so well you can dump an entire 5 gallon bucket on it at once.Ill try and post pics of the setup,btw Im using the prospector model from 2011.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I made the punch plate classifier fit the entire bazooka not just the grizzly.I also recently switched from punch plate to 1/2 flat expanded metal for coarser gold chunks and no problems. It works so well you can dump an entire 5 gallon bucket on it at once.Ill try and post pics of the setup,btw Im using the prospector model from 2011.

Would love to see pictures!

BTW, what are "coarser gold chunks" ??? :)

Last edited:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that would be cool to see!

nate s

Oct 22, 2013
ca
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The area I working I was pulling a few 1/2 and 1/4 gram mini nuggets.Im trying to post a pic of my homemade screen for the bazooka,but cant seem to post.Ill work on posting a pic.

OP
OP
K

Kiwiguy

Jan 5, 2015
Auckland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Geez you guys,

thanks so much for all the opinions and sharing thoughts and experience. Reading thru the posts the general theme is give the Bazooka a go which is what I am gonna do. Having a bit of a drought here so the river is very low. So might have some luck... cheers to you all

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In times of drought, and low water flow you may consider a bazooka sniper 36, and a tarp... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1421249129.072989.jpg

Amazing how much water you can funnel with a tarp and some rocks!

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good lord with dem stones on that creek. Wish i had stuff like that, holds gold better than the pitiful rocks around here.

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

sluicelee

Feb 21, 2013
Upcountry, SC
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett AT Pro, Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great idea with the tarp! Thanks for sharing 425jesse:)
I work a few small creeks and this will come in handy, time to find that old tarp and throw it in the backpack!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions