Need help buying a sluice.

freflite

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2011
Jonesboro Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Sluice thoughts

Witch is the best sluice to buy for a beginner gold prospector .

Hi, If you are mechanical at all, there is a place online to buy just the bent up aluminum channels in whatever width you prefer. I would buy at least 3 of them(3 ft long each), Join them together and them then buy the specialty mats that Gold Hog out of Georgia sells. By far, they are the most efficient ones available. Watch some of their videos. You will clearly understand. They have done their testing.

Then I would buy whatever size pump they recommend for the size sluice you are building and the hoses etc. You will have to fab legs and odds and ends, but when you are done, you can knock off probable at LEAST $1500 bucks as opposed to buying one outright.

Remember, this is all predicated on how mechanical you are. If you are not, depending on size a power sluice will run areound $3500.

Good luck, freflite

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agreed, just go get a bazooka!
Without knowing more about where you'll be digging and sluicing I'd suggest the 36" Sniper as the most versatile model. If you won't be in low flow creeks you could jump up to the 36" Prospector model. Don't go bigger at this stage as it gets awkward to work with and you just don't need it.

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
+1 to the Bazooka Gold trap, it is the easiest way to go.
Find enough flow, set it up and start throwing shovel's full of material at it.
There are different sizes/lengths, classification grizzlies and build thickness, all change the price, weight and ease of use.

Now depending if you are on a budget you cant beat the quality and proven efficiency of a Keene A52 sluice or sluice's like them (Such as the Jobe Yellow Jacket 45.)

If you are running a super tiny creek that doesn't have much flow and you are ok with running small amounts of material then the TeeDee EZ Sluice is a very nice mini sluice to use.
I use my EZ Sluice for cleanups from my Bazooka.

Here is a video of me running a Keene A52 sluice with WAY TOO MUCH WATER and I still recovered a nice amount of gold for just 1 5gal bucket.

Here is a cleanup video of cons from my old Bazooka Miner, you can see the large amount of cons that it produces. Each step down in size on the bazooka's produces less cons.
I could have also reduced these cons more had I just let it run for about 30 minutes on its own and it would have cleaned much of that out.

I hope this helps a little bit. :)

Last edited:

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bazooka Gold Trap. What area are you sluicing? Give us some details and we can help you pick the right one for your situation.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agreed, just go get a bazooka!
Without knowing more about where you'll be digging and sluicing I'd suggest the 36" Sniper as the most versatile model. If you won't be in low flow creeks you could jump up to the 36" Prospector model. Don't go bigger at this stage as it gets awkward to work with and you just don't need it.

Right, let me reinforce that. I have the 48" Miner. It is not for beginners. Get the 36" Sniper or Prospector as KevininColorado suggests, depending on where you are going to be working. For a beginner, it is by far the easiest; next to impossible to set up wrong; especially if you follow directions. And many folks here will help if you have any difficulty at all.

As noted, you don't have to classify, which is a pain in the neck (or lower) and so you don't need classifying gear. Just a Bazooka, a shovel and a 5-gal bucket. A gold pan would help, too, for reducing the cons. :)

Like I said, just ask, many kind folks here will jump in with answers.

OP
OP
gold kid

gold kid

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to be sluicing in a medium flowing river near gympie Queensland Australia. Where I know there is gold. Thanks for all your help. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422132997.200648.jpg

Last edited:

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to be sluicing in a medium flowing river near gympie Queensland Australia. Where I know there is gold. Thanks for all your help. View attachment 1110169

Beautiful country there! If you are good with your hands there are several threads here about how to build your own bazooka. It's probably fairly expensive to have a Bazooka shipped to you from the States. Can you find a local dealer in Queensland?

BTW, welcome aboard. Lots of friendly, knowledgeable people here.

MrWareWolf

Aug 22, 2014
N. Utah, USA
Detector(s) used
Generic 30" keene/jobe/royal-style sluice with flare, riffles, expanded metal, moss matt under riffles..
California Bucket Sluice concentrator
want: falcon pinpoint detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

titan100

Nov 12, 2014
Norco, CA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I bought a keene a52 right out of the gate when I started it works good for me out in so. Cal in streams and recirculation. It cost about 200 to start with sluice and pump etc. But these guys on here are full of great info on here they know their stuff.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would recommend a Bazooka if nobody has yet lol.

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i dont have enough flow where i am to use a bazooka. That being said, i prefer the drop riffle style boxes. they run in slower water (depending on the box) and REALLY hand on to that flour and micron gold.

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I'm sure the Bazooka is as great as they say it is with the following it has here.
BUT, since I don't have one I will say that I too have found good gold (mostly small, as that's what my area is known for) in my Keene A51, A52, & whatever they call their old little one.
I also have an Angus MacKirk Explorer (may be expedition) that I have only used a bit but it's recovery impressed me. Ease of cleanup impressed me even more. Of the sluices I currently have it's probably going to be my "go to" sluice this year.
That said, I like it well enough that I may try one of their bigger sluices, possibly one with their Abyss riffle. Weight is one of the concerns for me as some of the places I go are like mountain goat or dall sheep hunting areas. Backpack in to alpine above timberline.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since your in Austrailia aren't there local shops that sell a basic sluice? Shipping is gonna be a lot for you.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
GoldKid If you have lower flow that does not matter. Check out the little dams that Kevin builds to channel the water into his Bazooka. Very effective.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread