Took out Mackirk.

Maxlfty

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We haven't had much rain but when it has rained. Oh boy. This creek was raging and it moved lots of decomposed granite.
I opened a hole against some exposed bed rock and followed it down.
It took four , 2/3 full five gal buckets classified down ti 1/4 inch to give me two 2/3 buckets ti sluice.
Why only 2/3 full? Cause it's heavy.
A good day. My stuff is stashed and I'm going back in the morning.
1592102d1a762d1da0a5f0feff593e5e.jpg
22fea29fb96c265da3f5194b1c056363.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

Maxlfty

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are two short videos of my Angus Mackirk in action. With just a snapshot of the gold starting to show.
I'll post a two day combined shot tomorrow.
It's the foreman model, they used to call them Au traps.
acc0acccdf870e38637de36b24180119.jpg

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
Have you used any of the other Mackirks?
I have the explorer model & have liked it so far. Been considering the Boss. I do like the look of the Abyss riffle.
Cabella's carries them now & I have some points to use up...

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Maxlfty

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have the explorer also. It's great for backpacking.
I had a Keene a52, but cleanup is so much nicer with drop riffles.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome I just bought the foreman model myself plus I have the grub stake just aching to try them so how much did you classify your material at? from what I see in your pan I'm really liking what I see!:occasion14:

OP
OP
M

Maxlfty

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I classify down to 1/4 inch , using a Mikes hand trommel. It's a little bulky but much easier than shakey, shake.
i

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Suggestions:
1. Your material should be wet before you drop it in the sluice. Otherwise you are risking loss of fine gold as it will float out.
2. Put less material at a time in that lil sluice. A whole scoop dumped in is risking gold riding out with material on the top of the pile.
3. I don't see any active movement behind those riffles, for those water conditions you might need to run just a bit steeper to get the riffles working efficiently

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Suggestions:
1. Your material should be wet before you drop it in the sluice. Otherwise you are risking loss of fine gold as it will float out.
2. Put less material at a time in that lil sluice. A whole scoop dumped in is risking gold riding out with material on the top of the pile.
3. I don't see any active movement behind those riffles, for those water conditions you might need to run just a bit steeper to get the riffles working efficiently

I have the backpacker version which is about 20" long and i noticed it requires much more water than i ever anticipated. If you watch this video you can see the movement that kevin is talking about. I suggest more water and shaking that material out of the scoop as to not overload the drop area. i only classified to 1/2 inch but i bet your 1/4" material is better for both of our sluices. This video was my first outing with it, i know now that i needs more water than this in the video to run effectively.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
perfect I happen to have a mikes trammel built and 1/4" to boot man if the snow and cold would ever let up here in the north east that would really help the only good I'm hoping for out of this snow is melt will bring good floods and carry down some gold in the places I sluiced last year

OP
OP
M

Maxlfty

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice, thanks.
My material is wet can't really tell from the video.
I agree more flow will help. I usually run it so I see the material dancing in the riffles.
The thing I noticed about the larger version, is I can't seem to get the X in the flow. Instead right before where the sluice widens out there is a little wave.
I'm assuming this is some kind of back pressure.
Also the gold doesn't show up in the front of the sluice. Once in a while I catch a flash. But until I pan I have no idea of how much color is in it.
But since I have some bedrock exposed now I'm going back.
I'll feed less and slower.
Solid advice I appreciate it.

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice I'm thinking about getting the recon 2. it's just a smaller version of the boss 2. for 75 bucks that aint bad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread