SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The trap works fine underwater...the whole unit can run submerged. What makes you think the recommended angle is 5% though? That sounds way too flat to me!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea too flat

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Creeks aren't level! 5% lower than water surface isn't 5% drop. I would go for a little less than an inch per foot. 8% from level. Try to set the box so it is dumping into a lower pool if you can. If it empties into a shallow area clear the tailings every so often.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is easy to run it too shallow in which case the fluid bed locks up - not good. It is hard to run it too steep so tend toward steeper especially at first!

OP
OP
S

sdctreasure27

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2015
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice guys, now if only it would warm up. Can't dig if the grounds frozen. :BangHead:

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The trap works fine underwater...the whole unit can run submerged. What makes you think the recommended angle is 5% though? That sounds way too flat to me!

I got this fancy little app on my iPone that acts as a level and gives you the angle in degrees. An inch per foot seems to be about 5 degrees. It seems very flat to me too, I have been running my Highbanker at around 6 to 7 but unless you have a ton of flow I wouldn't run the Bazooka that flat.

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 24 inch Sniper. just got it.a few days ago been running it nonstop. and Kevin and these guys know what there talking about. if you have some good flow then you can run it more level. but if the water is low and slow your going to want to give it a nice angle. I was running mine in a hole I dug almost parallel to the steam. and it clogged up big time. Kevin here suggested I built a dam and ran in steep and haven't had any problems. and I'm in Utah the gold here is 20 to 200 hundred mesh. I use a 60× mag and can beraly see some of this stuff with that. I'm going to a 40 to 100× magnification loupe. there not to pricy. but the sniper caught it no problem.
and honestly I wouldn't get hung up on ANGLES 5 10 15 bla bla bla.

to many people get hung up on angles. trust me unless your going to by a piece of equipment that will tell you exactly what angle of slope your equipment is set at like professional equipment then your really only hindering yourself with a regular sluice even with the equipment your still going to have to run material through it to figure out if it's right for that river at that speed so your only slowing yourself down buy trying to guess these angles instead of leveling it ( so it isn't tipped to 1 side or the other) and running material through them to see what works best for that particular sluice in that particular river and so on. each river you get in will change the angle of your sluice to run it at optimum settings. now the bazooka, lot less tedious to run, allot less time setting up. just allot less fine tuning. you just have to look at the river and what your catching to decide what level you need to run. it's literally almost that easy. if you read the instructions it'll tell you pretty much what you'll need to know to start running it. they tell you the river speed and what your catching will determine how steep or shallow. other than that it's just feel. almost instinct. I can set up my Keene a51 in about 5 10 minutes. deppending on how OCD I get. the bazooka is new to me but I haven't had to sit and tinker with it trying to get everything perfect. it's easy easy. wedge it in and go.
I'm no expert by no means but honestly the bazooka is by far one of the easiest and most forgiving pieces I've ran

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well said sir! (And thanks for the shout out.)

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this fancy little app on my iPone that acts as a level and gives you the angle in degrees. An inch per foot seems to be about 5 degrees. It seems very flat to me too, I have been running my Highbanker at around 6 to 7 but unless you have a ton of flow I wouldn't run the Bazooka that flat.

10% would be 1.2 inchers per foot 12 inches divided by 100 (%)= .12 (=1%) x10 (%) =1.2 inches per foot
5% would be .6 inches per foot

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Stop with the math and just run it so it clears quickly! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1424493611.254971.jpg

QNCrazy

Sep 30, 2013
Motherlode, CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro

I have a similar app on my phone. My freind was shocked when I set the pitch and level on his highbanker today. He is a little behind the technical times. I too run my highbanker at 6-7.

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
10% would be 1.2 inchers per foot 12 inches divided by 100 (%)= .12 (=1%) x10 (%) =1.2 inches per foot
5% would be .6 inches per foot

Nice My formula was set up sluice in garage exactly 1" per foot drop + iPhone fancy level app = 5 degrees. Then again it might have been 5 1/2. Not that it really matters. :laughing7: Like Kevin said run it so it clears.

OP
OP
S

sdctreasure27

Tenderfoot
Jan 20, 2015
Detector(s) used
SDC 2300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a fairly slow creek, as soon as i can get it in the water I'll take some pictures of the setup and hopefully some gold. Here is where I'm planning on starting then work my way upstream. I like that picture too kevin, thats why i bought it. No classifying and run twice or three times as much material is a win-win IMG_0454.JPG

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sdc that looks like a beautiful place to spend some time, hope you also find great gold!

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
It is a fairly slow creek, as soon as i can get it in the water I'll take some pictures of the setup and hopefully some gold. Here is where I'm planning on starting then work my way upstream. I like that picture too kevin, thats why i bought it. No classifying and run twice or three times as much material is a win-win View attachment 1122638

Yep that's a slow moving creek (on the surface)! Moving about the same speed most of ours are right now :laughing7:

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Don't think you'll have a problem with that stream. the one I'm running is a run off stream that bearly covers my shoes. I built a dam and ran it without a problem. little slow but worked. I got my minis and put it in and made it so much easier. now the trick to getting your fine gold is simply this. at least with a Normal sluice. even the bazooka instructions say to classify. the reason is this. gold is heavy yes. but a speck of gold won't weight more than a little pebble. it's just how it works. so if you classifie down to smaller then your chances of catching the fines go up. be classifiers are bulky. so I made a cheep wire bucket from the dollar store into 1. just bought some 1/8 steel mesh off ebay. and use it works great. just fill the bucket with water. put the wire bucket inside and fill it up with your ore. once it's full just spin it under the water back and forth. it's super easy super fast. But honestly I haven't had to with the bazooka. I made a wire Frame for my other sluice that fit right in the mouth of the sluice. and then just fill it up and let the current take what fits through the screen. once it's full you can pick it up the screen and through out the overburden. the picture is kinda the same idea. it's actually where I got the idea
Screenshot_2015-02-21-14-34-54.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions