Jan 18, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster Vsat
Tesoro Diablo Umaxx
Garrett CXIII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep a few. Went out detecting last sunday with a fellow I found on tnet. Heck of a nice guy! Having moved here a couple years ago its nice to find others close by to share knowledge, stories and make new friends that enjoy the same hobbies.

OP
OP
jasobdb

jasobdb

Feb 20, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I grew up here and love to be out exploring kinda cool guys can get together and share there knowledge of the area

OP
OP
jasobdb

jasobdb

Feb 20, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dashriprock what's the most effective way you have found gold I'm new to it I have a little stream sluice and have only found a very small amount of gold

dashriprock

Jan 18, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster Vsat
Tesoro Diablo Umaxx
Garrett CXIII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a couple different sluices and I use them regularly. I've found more gold with a sluice than any other method so far. I usually sample pan until I find a good enough spot to set up a sluice.
I was born and lived in sturgis, south dakota and I explored and hunted throughout the black hills ever chance I got. I got gold fever when I was 13 watching some older guys sluicing and panning. They told and showed me where the gold likes to hide along the creek. Some creeks in the area seemed to have gold everywhere. Sample pans in some spots showed 2 or 3 specks while other spots the pans would show 10 to 20 specks along with an 1/8" flake or two. Those spots were where those guys would set up their classifying screens and sluices. I learned then to not just set up anywhere. Sampling different spots I have found is always a good idea. Why would you want to just look at a spot and say " this looks good" and shovel all day for just a few specks in your pan? I wouldn't and don't. I want to get the most gold for all that hard work I do.
Can't say for Montana but the creeks I had the best luck at in South Dakota had hematite in them because it's heavy. Usually the more hematite pieces I found in my sluice or pan mean't more gold. Same with sizes of hematite. Bigger ones I usually found bigger gold. I only found this to be true in the northern hills. I found gold in the central and southern hills but it was for the most part small specks..almost like it had been ground up. I'm just taking in the streambeds. River/creek gravels higher up away from the current stream and also cracks and crevices in bedrock had all different sizes of gold.
Long winded reply...sorry... but I would say learn what you can of the area you want to prospect and sample,sample sample. If your good at panning you can run through a sample pan in a couple three minutes...doesn't take long and it pays off at the end of the day.
Since you grew up here maybe you could show me a few places where we can fill our pans with some of that yellow metal. I've been prospecting for a long time and was south dakota state director for the gpaa for 10 years and would be willing to help you anytime.....just holler. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
jasobdb

jasobdb

Feb 20, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome I will for sure I think your north of me but we could figure out something thank you for the offer and I have been doing some homework on the history of the area and have test panned and only found a few specks but still having fun and that's what its really about

OP
OP
jasobdb

jasobdb

Feb 20, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Are you a member of the gpaa still I have been looking at joining but wasn't sure what claims they had in my area thought it would be cool to meet people with more experience and learn a bunch me and my fiancé love to get out and look for gold I just picked up a very old Garrett metal detector but it seems to work well so she's excited to try that out soon

OP
OP
jasobdb

jasobdb

Feb 20, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Awesome I'm in the root and kinda doing the same

OP
OP
jasobdb

jasobdb

Feb 20, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I haven't been since last summer

OP
OP
jasobdb

jasobdb

Feb 20, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Found a small amount of flake I have a stream sluice some pans a very old metal detector that is yet to be used and I was able to put together a high banker set up just the other day so gearing up for summer outings

davidhorton001

Apr 5, 2014
Great. I have super mini bazooka, pans and hand dredge . It would be great to have a partner for this summer. I was planing on joining the local club this year. They have some claims up nine mile and Hughes creek. I also have a couple of places I want to investigate. I also plan on finding some sapphires and aquamarine gems too. I have a pretty good idea of where most people go. If you don't mind me asking what places did you check out last summer?

OP
OP
jasobdb

jasobdb

Feb 20, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was over by helena with a friend on his claim

OP
OP
jasobdb

jasobdb

Feb 20, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kinda got me going late last summer now I'm hooked and have great new hobby me and the soon to be wife can enjoy together

OP
OP
jasobdb

jasobdb

Feb 20, 2015
Montana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gold Hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will for sure I'm looking to venture and learn as much as I can

Top Member Reactions