Angus mackirk New riffles design the abyss riffle vrs the bazooka gold trap

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright This is for all you AM lovers out there.
I'm deciding on weather to get a recon 2.
I have the bazooka 24 inch sniper and bazooka mini 16 inch.
I'm looking to see what you all think about this. now I know this is a cleashay question. so understanding the question is important. I'm asking witch is better at capturing gold up to 200 mesh. not witch is easy to set up, or what works best. cause we all know there is no perfect sluice out there. now the fluid bed is amazing at catching things I've found out. and the recon 2 design is supposed to be pretty much a fluid bed. it has the dual riffleDesign called the abyss riffles. I know it'll break b down to person preferance in the end. so if anyone has used both. the AM with the new riffle disign. or even the le trap cause it has the same dual riffle disign and the bazooka. I'd like to hear you honest opinion. so anyways I leave the floor open to youvguys

Vance in AK

Feb 15, 2010
Kenai, Alaska
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB II. Whites GM II.
I'll start by saying I have never tried the Bazooka.
I have an Explorer & like it. I have really wanting to try one of the bigger taper/flair models with the "Abyss" riffle system.
I was considering the Foreman (midsize) or the Boss (largest). The slickplate area of the Boss is large enough to dump full shovel loads into.
That said, the prospector model of the Bazooka has my attention too.
Cabella's is handling the boss from AM & I have a gift card & a bunch of points there so that may be the deciding issue...

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my bazooka. theres no doubt about that. I was just wondering what was say better at holding onto the fines down to 200 mesh. my bazooka has caught some really nice stuff since I've had it. but I haven't got to thoroughly test it up in my old stop to see how well it holds 200 mesh

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have Bazookas and AM and love them both. Different sluices for different jobs. You can't go wrong with either.

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kk RdG sluicer. so what would you say the AM is for. I know people say it's great especially for low amount of water. what you'll you take the am out for

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I have both now as well but I'm new to the AM's and just bought the reconII small version and the got grub stake for low water flow conditions plus I have a bazooka 36" sniper as well ooooooooooooooh winter is killing me itchin to go here!

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's where I'm at. stupid cold weather. it was nice and I got to go out for a couple days. new spot really low water but still got some nice stuff. But that's what got me curious about the AM. and the recon 2 has a really nice design and the theory behind it has Ben used in the Le trap so I thought I might as well ask the ones who've ran them and those who own both what there opiniond are

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reed Lukens runs one and liked his pretty well more or less he got for the kids I think he said but did well just the same my main thing is to crevice just built a vac and collect where ever I am and depending where I'm at hopefully will have some sort of water flow

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alright This is for all you AM lovers out there.
I'm deciding on weather to get a recon 2.
I have the bazooka 24 inch sniper and bazooka mini 16 inch.
I'm looking to see what you all think about this. now I know this is a cleashay question. so understanding the question is important. I'm asking witch is better at capturing gold up to 200 mesh. not witch is easy to set up, or what works best. cause we all know there is no perfect sluice out there. now the fluid bed is amazing at catching things I've found out. and the recon 2 design is supposed to be pretty much a fluid bed. it has the dual riffleDesign called the abyss riffles. I know it'll break b down to person preferance in the end. so if anyone has used both. the AM with the new riffle disign. or even the le trap cause it has the same dual riffle disign and the bazooka. I'd like to hear you honest opinion. so anyways I leave the floor open to youvguys

I have a LeTrap and it is great for lower water. If I hand-feed it, I don't classify. If I want to dump material in, then I classify. With the Bazooka, there is no hand feeding, just feeding as fast as I can. As long as I can dam the creek to get enough water flow, the Bazooka is my choice. I think if the fluid bed is working properly, I don't lose anything, even fine flour gold. I like the fact that I can put it completely under water and it still works fine. Given the choice, I will use my Bazooka. I think it catches as well as the LeTrap and probably better. It certainly allows me to work more material.

I don't own a MacKirk, but I suspect they are close to the performance of the LeTrap.

OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've decided to stick with my bazookas. I have the 24 inch sniper for good flow. and 2 16 inch minis for prospecting and low flow. 1 for me and 1 for the wife. she wanted her own sluice so I got her 1.and then we use the sniper when where in full production mode with good flow. I've used both of the bazookas and love them. if there's low flow me and the wife can set up both and probably run the same amount of material as the 24 inch sniper and catch just as mutch if not more cause will both be working different areas of the river. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And thanks guys. you've been a great help

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread