We found gold! How do we get it?

goldilots

Mar 11, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,
First post here. My friend recently bought 63 acres w a carved out granite creek running through it. The bottom is solid granit w nothing but sand, black sand, cobble and gold. No clay and little soil. Due to the drought this normally unaccessable area is now just a series of ponds. I have been researching like crazy but my head is spinning. What we need is a power sluice/highbanker but I dont know what kind, how big etc. we have no need for a rock washer and all the stones are smooth and bare. Can anyone direct me to good plans or a good unit that wont be under powered? We have about 3/4 mile of creek bed. I dont want to get a unit that is to underpowered and will take forever but dont want to invest in something over powered either.
Your recommendations on plans or a unit would be appreciated. Is there a general rule of thumb for highbanker dimensions vs gpm on a trash pump?
The gold is pretty fine also. I know the information is out there but there are so many variables and each piece of information seems to contradict the previous piece. I know I want at least a 2 or 3 inch pump, a grizly bar but that is about it.
Many thanks!
Before you go telling me that it is fools gold I should say that I own a jewelry store and have already tested the material and it is infact gold. Every pan yields many many flecks!!!! Here is a pic. As you may be able to tell the waterline is normally 15 feet up, What you cant see are all the boulders that makes the area inaccessable by diving as it is normally rapids

Last edited:

dig deeper now

Jul 10, 2013
fulltiming rv'er anywhere in the 48 states
Detector(s) used
Safari MINELAB, minelab pin pointer,lesche left sided teeth ,Lowe's short shovel,12'' sand scoop 5x9 in. 2900 battery
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes asking for help will cost you. I would try google for as much info as you can get off of it, even youtube for information even a video. Then use your head and try to use it to your best advantage to see what comes out of using common sense to get the gold you want out. Someone could help but again you might give away your creek bed of fine gold to some fortune hunters, not everyone is a crook, but again it would be a fast buck. Maybe try Alaska gold mining in a creek bed and how to find gold.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
In this case google is your friend... do some searching and get some basics down, try to find some info on the mining that has been done in your area over the years, and keep the location details under your hat.... just because you bought the property doesn't mean unscrupulous persons won't trespass.
Since I don't know what kind of access there is to the site I can't really suggest what equipment would be best.... if you have to hike everything in you obviously would not want to hump in a 6 or 8 inch dredge.... one thing for sure is that if it is predominately fine gold.... set up for fine and not so much for nugget.... the nuggets will show if your getting the fine.
One source you might look into is Gold Hog.... They have a lot of good info and equipment for just about any application you will deal with.
You can find them here...... Gold Hog - Gold Prospecting Equipment - Sluice Mat And no.... I am not affiliated with them in any way.
Good luck in your endeavor.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought is, is it Patented land and do you own the mineral rights?

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
My first thought is, is it Patented land and do you own the mineral rights?

That thought also entered my mind....
Do you own the mineral rights?
It is possible to own land but not own the mineral rights... Something you need to be very careful of and check carefully.

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Well if the rock and sand is dry or moist.....go get a generator and a mondo shop vac...wet dry....hint....swap factory suction hose for a smooth inner non collapsible hose..... clean out vacuum and wash clean up at your home.....simple....and cheep.....easy to move....oh yea if you fill vacuum bring spare empty buckets to fill as well...db

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
DONT post a picture we all know what gold bearing ground looks like, some idjit will use the picture to their advantage not yours. Any reputable highbanker combo should work fine, it's more about what you like or what you get the best price on. You can set it up with mats like gold hog or others. or stick with what comes stock. Pay more attention to setting up and tuning what you have correctly than worrying what kind of mat, moss, or carpet is in the box. A quality pressure pump and blaster nozzle would be more of my focus since you want to use suction. Where in the sluice the gold is being caught and testing the tailings will tell you if your doing it right. Once you know your getting all you can get with what you got, then experiment with other options. Good luck, from your description of the place I was originally going to suggest a street sweeper it sounded so goooood!. Also if your finding that much gold on the 'surface' those exposed bedrock cracks should be loaded with some nice chunky stuff. Might want to budget in some rock busting gear while your at it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions