Bazooka Vs dirt with heavy clay

davidhorton001

Apr 5, 2014
Hey guys,

I was running some dirt that had a lot of clay in it through my super mini this weekend, and I didn't realized how much gold I lost due to the clay no breaking down completely until I got home to process the cons. Does anyone have any tips or tricks? I should have ran the material through my super mini several times, but I was wondering if there is a way to agitate the material as it goes down the slick plate?

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clay is gold robbing enemy #1 Rub the clay back and forth on the slick plate and it will usually disintegrate and deposit your gold in the trap.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have a lot of clay to run, wet classify it with a no. 4, using it like a cheese grader, get it good and liquified and then pour it onto the sluice. A little tedious, but worth it if your getting gold.

Last edited:

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What AUFISHER said. use the slick plate to break up the clay or a bucket. what I've done in the past is I have a bunch of small wireally buckets from the dollar store. I used to use them and add a 3/8 or 1/4 Screen wrapped around it. but don't need to with the bazooka. but if you want you can use one of these little guys just put him in your bucket and fill him up with the clay. they have like a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch holes on the wire bucket. but anyway just stick him in your bucket and fill it up with water and material the just spin the wire bucket back and forth using the handle in the bucket it doesn't take all but 5 seconds. but it breaks down that clay quick as spit. it also works great on root and moss clumps. but there's really no need to with the bazooka Just grab and just run into across the skid plate you can work it in your fingers at the same time it breaks it up quickly. where I'm at we have this nasty Black mud like swamp mud and red clay both are very Nasty stuff. the black mud settles and hardens fast but once it's broke up its super light so it vanishes quick. but in a bucket you lituraly have to reach in and break it up and poor it before it can settle again. but once it hits the slick plate it's gone I've never found it inside the bazooka cause it's so light. but the red clay is nasty sticky stuff but once it's broken up on the skid plate its all but gone to leaving only the pretty gold.

OP
OP
D

davidhorton001

Apr 5, 2014
Thanks for the replying guys.

I have used my hand to break it down before, I guess I was too tired from digging in dirt as hard as concrete. But I'm kicking myself in the butt now.lol. I was wondering if their are any mods I could do to the slick plate to help agitate the dirt as it goes down. Like thin metal grate on top of the plate, something that rock won't hang up on but enough to agitate the dirt.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for the replying guys.

I have used my hand to break it down before, I guess I was too tired from digging in dirt as hard as concrete. But I'm kicking myself in the butt now.lol. I was wondering if their are any mods I could do to the slick plate to help agitate the dirt as it goes down. Like thin metal grate on top of the plate, something that rock won't hang up on but enough to agitate the dirt.

I think all of us Bazooka fans have modified our bazookas but to no avail as we all seem to put back to stock. Another thing you might try is a cordless drill or brace with a drywall mixer, do it wet should work but more junk to carry.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
break it up in your bucket with a stick and agitation. Swirling rock breaks clay up. How do you know lost sooooo much gold? A low paying day just because you had clay and yesterday you didn't, doesn't necessarily mean you lost gold.Or do an amplified degree at least.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread