Type of chalkboard paint for cleanup sluice

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
any type / brand will do! just make sure that the surface is prepaired properly and its smooth! use several coats and let it dry completely. and after use and it has dried off , before you use it again , wet it down and clean any left over mud , grim off of it before you add any cons again. IMHO

OP
OP
tyeechinook

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man! How about angle /flow rate for this set up? It's 5" wide and 41" long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Especially the 2nd one with the rubber mat; in my opinion, the rubber mat specified (a shelf liner available many places, including online) is the best surface, probably the easiest to install and use and is very reasonable cost-wise. My recommendation is to go with it. Several folks here have compared the two and come to the same conclusion.

It is much lighter than slate and therefore easier to move around; also cheaper by far unless you have free slate somewhere. I have a Miller table with the Hobbico green mat surface and it cost more than the rubber mat and it did not work for me as well as the rubber mat surface. I have not used the chalkboard paint, but the rubber mat shelf liner is cheaper; others says the chalkboard is inferior in performance. I cannot personally say one way or another since I have not used it. All told, I strongly suggest using the Duck brand Easy Liner for your Miller table. You will be very pleased with it.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I have used the paint but it needs tobe redone after awhile and I did spray it on all of my sluice bottoms (just incase idea) so I could use up the left over paint.i got my slate free and gave away all that was left over to some friends. BUT slate is the BEST material to use by far (for me) it was free, I leave it at my shop for the final cleanups and itll last forever!one thing youll want to do when restarting your Miller table is make sure you clean off any debris left over from your last use of it.

OP
OP
tyeechinook

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help guys. I picked up the easy liner. Any suggestions for glue type?

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Barge cement.... Barge Products - Barge Cement

Screen Shot 2015-04-08 at 5.53.40 AM.png

Last edited:

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently built a 10" acrylic miller table with cutting mat (Hobbyco =), and lightly sanded the mat with 220 grit and again with 400. I may replace the mat and sand with 400 only. I'm still adjusting to get the dam and angle set right for the local beach gold.

I do also have an old 3'x5' slate blackboard that could get repurposed.

Does Rustoleum make a green chalkboard spray? Can only find black locally.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
call them and ask! the phone number / contact info is on the can! I also hada piece of that slate blackboard about that size and eventually ended up cutting it to smaller sizes for making Miller tables. I wish I had left it big! IF I ever get more slate that size , ill leave it big for a big table!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks man! How about angle /flow rate for this set up? It's 5" wide and 41" long

You play with it; the size of the material, the angle, the flow until you get it right. At 41" long, you have a lot of room to work with, but basically the smaller the classified material, the slower the flow (just enough to barely move the lighter material) and the smaller the angle. Again, you have to play with it. Watch and see what happens--is the material not moving at all? Then either make the angle a bit steeper or increase the flow a tad. If the material is moving but the gold basically sits there, you have it. If the gold moves a bit, you can make minor adjustments, but you might only see it move a few inches before it stops. You can brush it back up to the top.

Every table is slightly different. Get to know yours.

HTH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread