Sluice box plans?

guitarguy62

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,
I recently bought a Garret gold panning kit, and I'm getting better at panning. I was thinking about welding up a sluice box to move more material, to increase my chances of finding some placer gold that isn't in pay-dirt. I'd love to have one but I don't wanna drop 100+ bucks on something that I could make for way less. I'm also thinking about playing with it and trying to make one that folds to fit in a backpack. I think that'd be ideal, especially if it doesn't affect the functionality of the sluice. If any of you guys have made one, how did it run? And has anyone made a folding one? I just wanna test the waters (no pun intended) and see what's out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey guys,
I recently bought a Garret gold panning kit, and I'm getting better at panning. I was thinking about welding up a sluice box to move more material, to increase my chances of finding some placer gold that isn't in pay-dirt. I'd love to have one but I don't wanna drop 100+ bucks on something that I could make for way less. I'm also thinking about playing with it and trying to make one that folds to fit in a backpack. I think that'd be ideal, especially if it doesn't affect the functionality of the sluice. If any of you guys have made one, how did it run? And has anyone made a folding one? I just wanna test the waters (no pun intended) and see what's out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, to see what's out there, use a pan. Once you know there is gold, use the sluice. Not knowing were you are and the conditions, type of gold, etc., it is hard to make much in the way of suggestions, but I would look at some of the DIY bazooka type sluices here on TN. Or buy one (used if you can find it); maybe a Sniper; you could back pack those. With more information, folks here will be glad to pitch in and give you all types of suggestions.

Good luck and there be lots of gold in your future.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Ive always made my own sluices. I went from bending up aluminum to using ABS plastic. I prefer ABS now because of the cost and weight of ABS. I also make different setups for the conditions / size / shape(riffels of different heights ,rasied expanded sceen - punch plate , matting of all sorts) of the gold im working with. I (used to) travel around the Country dredgeing , so having the correct setup in your sluice meant something to my recovery of the different conditions! oh yes, I also bought some of the rubber drawer liner matting to make one for a comparison run of the three but haven't gotten "round" to it yet!

Last edited:

Skiddum

Jan 29, 2015
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make a Bazooka gold trap. it'll save you allot of time when your done.
I haven't made 1 yet. plan on it but the bazooka is 1 of the best. and the 24 inch sniper will move more material than any standard keene, jobe, wolf trap and even the drop.riffle sluice boxespecially just cause it classifies every for you. also if your good with a pan. might I suggest you get on the pre order list for the banjo pan. it's a sluice pan combo. will be a great tool for sampling and hicking and when you find gold you can move allot more Material than a normal pan. then the next time you go you can take a sluice and really tear it up. but The people who make the banjo pan are gold cube. and they know what there doing especially when it comes to fine gold recovery so it'll be a great tool in my opinion. But as for a sluice hands down the bazooka is amazing. I've used keen in the past and this beats it 10/1
the mini even will move allot of material but it has a smaller trap so you have to feed it slower. but you'll still end up moving more material

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread