Experience building and using Mikes hand trommel

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased everything on the Bill of Materials today at Home Depot for $73. ($15 of this cost was for the 1 3/8" hole saw bit). I recall reading another thread where some others followed the plans and made the hand trommel. Prior to start, any suggestions? How has the rig worked for you? Wet or dry material?

My plan is to use this in lieu of a bucket and grizzley to classify. My goal of course is to make classifying easier and to be able to process more material through the sluice.

Last edited:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one and did a few little things different my friend built most of it he's got shop and almost every tool known to man went with a 1/4" screen right now with it trying to figure how to build a spray bar system for it you really need water running through your hopper to keep the material wet or like I'm doing at the moment rerun your material back through to get all the fine stuff through it is definitely a lot better then shaky shaky with the classifier in the bucket and killing your back that I got to come up with a bottom feed tray type thing to feed the sluice or bazooka

Attachments

• gold trommel 001 (640x480).jpg
    gold trommel 001 (640x480).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 709
  • gold trommel 002 (640x480).jpg
    gold trommel 002 (640x480).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,214
  • gold trommel 003 (640x480).jpg
    gold trommel 003 (640x480).jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 2,215
OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks
I decided to add to the BOM with nylock nuts, fender washers, 1/4" screen to wrap around the sturdier 1/2", extra bucket to enable cutting out a single piece chute, etc. Added another $47 to the cost which trotals $105. I made the cuts today, will start build tomorrow. I too want to figure out the best way to add a spray bar.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah I started building a spray bar system today ran out of parts so we'll see what happens

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Built one myself several years back, and it served me well
when mining down in the Calif. desert. For dry materials
it's the cat's meow, but running wet material is near
impossible without a spray bar.

What you can do is buy a 12V bilge pump and just use
the hose to spray down the material as it's going through.
I thought about building a spray bar, but washing the material
down with the pump/hose combo works quite well, so I never
saw the need to go to the effort of making a proper bar.

I set the trommel up to run a bit flatter, and drop about 2 gal.
of aggregate with rocks as big as 4" into the hopper. Then start
washing from the hopper into the trommel, and turn slowly.

Made mine with 1/2" screen, and then made up 1/4" screen that
fit over the top of the 1/2", held tight by bungee cords.

Doesn't take long at all, and you know your material is well washed.

Last edited:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah i'll be hooking up a 1500 gph bildge the toppump using 3/4" pvc I have a spray over the hopper and and spray bar totally across the screen along the top of it .......its almost done just got drill holes and get 2 3/4" end caps and 2 1" tee's for support

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I already have the pump. I'll explore a spray bar mount once I have finished the basic trommel. If digging dry riverbank I would think it would be fine as is but I often dig wet.

Mike the designer has been very fast to respond to questions. For wet material he shovels some water (or uses a pan to add water before rotation). He has also literally placed it in the river so the trommel is half submerged with a bucket underneath weighed down with a rock.

Where I go water that deep would be fast moving (ha) so spray bar it is.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what I do sometimes I usually put the pump inside a bucket lay it on its side and drive a spike in the ground to hold the bucket..........I see something I really liked to there is a member here sluicelee that took a 1000 gph bildge pump made a mini dredge out of it and work like a charm right into a bazooka style fluid bed DIY sluice..........some of these DIY builds I like better I learned that sometimes a longer slick plate is not always better.......just my opinion and experience anyways

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fixed the image....this is what I built so far. I plan to add higher legs and a spray bar. Vaquero - kindly share a pic of your spray bar when you get a chance. Let me know how your tests go.

I tested it with wet gravel near the house and it worked pretty good. Some dirt clung to the rocks but I think a good spray bar will fix that problem.

trommel.jpg

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey matt I will.......... its not perfect but I got it zip tied into position but I haven't had time to finish yet ............have been under the weather wicked sinus cold has taken a hold of me plus a absessed tooth to boot and trying to get a dentist not fun at all but will try to finish by the weekend.......from what I 've seen in the experience of trommel's you want to almost a more than a trickle of water into the hopper and the screen at the top blasting the smaller of the bigger rocks as they roll through screen I've put to control valves on mine to control flow of each also just a suggestion that I wouldn't glue any parts of the spray so you can adjust it

Last edited:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well check it out see what you think Matt? put it together real quick like and I think its going to do ok my holes are a little off on the line but that might help things out a little but anyways here it is!

Attachments

• tromel and tent malfunction 004 (640x480).jpg
    tromel and tent malfunction 004 (640x480).jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 404
  • tromel and tent malfunction 003 (640x480).jpg
    tromel and tent malfunction 003 (640x480).jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 435
  • tromel and tent malfunction 002 (640x480).jpg
    tromel and tent malfunction 002 (640x480).jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 354
  • tromel and tent malfunction 001 (640x480).jpg
    tromel and tent malfunction 001 (640x480).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 536
OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking setup. Have you tested it with wet gravel?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't yet still dealing with this miserable cold drilled out the holes 3/16" also I used no glue other than the leg support at the end of the screen you want to be able to adjust it while testing our out in the field

57chevy

Oct 4, 2014
The West
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 D Looking to find enough to replace it.
Replaced it with a Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there was a swivel fitting that could be placed in front of the handle, then you could use the support pipe for a spray bar. Just thinking out loud.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to me if I were to build another from scratch that's when I'd incorporate that idea I guess

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally finished my trommel. I decided on a simple T spray bar. It seemed to perform well with my tests (except of course it will not mash up clay). I used a 500 gph pump and that seemed perfect without the need to slow it down with a valve. I also added the chute underneath to funnel material into a 5G bucket and the higher legs to allow work without bending over to crank. I can't wait to see how much more material I can process.

Done_3.JPG Done_1.JPG Done_2.JPG Done_4.JPG

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey matt looking great.........just a suggestion if you can get your hands on one 1100 to 1500 gph electric bilge pump if you can..........you will see a big difference and if it works to your liking get a deep cycle marine battery to keep the constant steady jet power up......I like it very nice

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I have a glassmat bat and a 1500 gph pump but the 500 gph seemed to work good. It will be interesting to see it in the field. What size holes did you still? Mine were 1/8".

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread