Best way to recover "flour" gold?....

questforgold

Apr 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!

This is my first post here but I have been dong what feels like endless reading on how to capture extremely fine gold. I have been doing some prospecting in my local national forest and have had some good luck with just my pan. I have been using just the pan for some time now and want to take my prospecting up to the next level but at the same time on a budget since I am a broke college student. LOL. The biggest gold i have found has not even broken a 1/16 of an inch and 95% of it is just like dust.

I have been doing a lot of reading on sluice boxes for the obvious reason of running more material. From what I understand (and i could be completely wrong here) is that the Gold Cube is the way to go. There is just three problems with this. 1 its over $400, 2 its gong to be a royal pain to backpack that thing in and finally, no mechanical equipment is allowed so the pump is a no go. I talked to a ranger and he said the gold cube is fine its just that the pump is considered a mechanical device which is not allowed. So what options does that leave me? I am very good at fabrication and wouldn't mind building something but if there is a product out there at the right price I would jump on it.

Thank for the help guys, all info and advice is greatly appreciated!

Stephen

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

questforgold

Apr 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a great sluice! Im really glad that you replied because that size gold is exactly what im finding. Do you know if the Beach Sluice is still available because there is not a link like the other non collapsible ones? I contacted them so I guess we will find out.

Stephen

OP
OP
Q

questforgold

Apr 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone used the Pyramid Pro Pan? They claim it captures 100% of fines and it would be an easy tool to backpack in....

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like a great sluice! Im really glad that you replied because that size gold is exactly what im finding. Do you know if the Beach Sluice is still available because there is not a link like the other non collapsible ones? I contacted them so I guess we will find out.

Stephen

Yes the beach sluice is still available, and it is collapsable, .... it is 16 x 24 sluice and a 16 x 24 slick plate so 48 long overall.
Just give Dennis a call and he will get you set up.:thumbsup:

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alternatively you could take your super concentrates home for final processing. Run your sluice box all day and take the sluiced (aka super concentrates) home. I use a Black Magic miller table for final processing and I am very happy with it.

--Matt

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Alternatively you could take your super concentrates home for final processing. Run your sluice box all day and take the sluiced (aka super concentrates) home. I use a Black Magic miller table for final processing and I am very happy with it.

--Matt

technically those are just concentrates from your sluice.
Super-concentrates would be what you got after running the sluice cons through classifiers and then a gold cube or some other pre cleanup device.
Even the clean gold sluices are initially concentrates until you use the cleanup method to further concentrate them down to that 3 tablespoons of super-cons.

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stand corrected then!

For the OP, 8 buckets of material run through a sluice will leave you with about a quarter bucket of concentrates so it's easy to bring it home for more efficient final cleanup.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I stand corrected then!

For the OP, 8 buckets of material run through a sluice will leave you with about a quarter bucket of concentrates so it's easy to bring it home for more efficient final cleanup.

When I am done whether I have run 1 bucket or 20 buckets, I end up with about a half cup of cons.... when I run those through the cleanup process I have about 2 tablespoons of super-cons. It takes about 20 minutes to finish pan those and I'm done...... :occasion14:

OP
OP
Q

questforgold

Apr 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your reply's! :notworthy: The reason I was looking for a sluice more designed for gold dust is because to my understanding gold that small will be easily flushed out with the velocity of water required to run over the riffles to make them work properly. Am I wrong about this and should just get a normal one?

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met a guy today on Nesika beach. He was using a Cleangold sluice. He stated it was the best sluice for beach gold he has ever used. In second place was deep V mat only. We talked for a bit and he has owned every sluice made....damn near...he said.:laughing7:
Nesika beach is rich, he said is getting about a gram +/- of gold(-100) in every 5 gallon bucket.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I met a guy today on Nesika beach. He was using a Cleangold sluice. He stated it was the best sluice for beach gold he has ever used. In second place was deep V mat only. We talked for a bit and he has owned every sluice made....damn near...he said.:laughing7:
Nesika beach is rich, he said is getting about a gram +/- of gold(-100) in every 5 gallon bucket.
Dang..... I better be getting my butt down there soon......:laughing7:

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Keene A52 and with fast/full water velocity recover gold you can't see without magnification, or perhaps very young eyes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread