Question on purchasing a sluice
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Doug Watson

Thread: Question on purchasing a sluice

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2014
    cartersville, GA.
    63 times
    Prospecting

Question on purchasing a sluice

Would it be worth in your opinion to buy a sluice with no matting or riffles for less so that you could add your own for what you intended to do. just curious.
    Website in progress. http://georgiagoldfever.altervista.org/

But what do I know.....

Oct 2012
    54 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    You probably won't save money, if that is your objective, and you're unlikely to improve a proven design by much.

us
    May 2014
    AZ
    Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
    3173 times
    Prospecting
    To me, this makes the most sense especially if you are planning to use the evermore popular goldhog mat or if you are planning on testing other capture media. Goldhog only builds and markets highbankers and not traditional stream sluices and many sluicers are converting their old stream sluices to the new technology.
    You will save a few bucks by buying a blank vs. buying a brand name one with conventional riffles, carpet, moss, or whatever then converting it to what you intend to use.
    Last edited by arizau; Apr 28, 2015 at 02:33 PM.
    If it can't be grown, it must be mined!

Nov 2012
    763 times
    Absolutly worth it man!
    I run a sluice with no riffles, just deep v black mat the whole sluice, and dont loose hardly anything.
    Also i end up with just a cup of cons loaded up with all the heavies

us
    vaquero44 Brandon Moore

Dec 2009
    Maine
    Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
    327 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If you use gold hog matts for strictly stream use UR Razorback and Downdraft are the way to go scrubber is good to if you work in turbulent water put somewhere in the middle to break it up
    always on the quest of finding the machine that fits me!

Jun 2014
    cartersville, GA.
    63 times
    Prospecting
    Thanks for your Input everyone!
    Website in progress. http://georgiagoldfever.altervista.org/

But what do I know.....

us
    Jul 2010
    154 times
    Yep. I'd do that. Buy a drop riffle and forget all the mats etc. Simple to use, easy cleanup, and works great.
    ezrider2 likes this.

us
    EZ

Nov 2014
    Fairfax Va
    Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
    69 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by allenkeeton View Post
    Thanks for your Input everyone!
    I just got rid of the big bulky and heavy sluice like you want to build. I am running Angus MacKirks! Like Doug said buy a drop riffle and forget the mats! Very easy to use and clean up, easier to haul in and the Hogmats are heavy and expensive.

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    2208 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

us
    All the gold in the universe was created by colliding nuetron stars. Most of all the gold on earth arrived via falling meteorites about 200 million years after it was formed.

Apr 2015
    Superior, Colorado
    30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
    360 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyGremlin View Post
    Absolutly worth it man!
    I run a sluice with no riffles, just deep v black mat the whole sluice, and dont loose hardly anything.
    Also i end up with just a cup of cons loaded up with all the heavies
    How do you keep the rubber v mat secured in your sluice? Did you silicone it in? Thanks

us
    Jan 2012
    Oregon Coast
    White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
    2208 times
    Beach mining, Metal detecting, Trading.
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGold View Post
    How do you keep the rubber v mat secured in your sluice? Did you silicone it in? Thanks
    Contact cement.. Like, Barge cement, tough and waterproof..... But you better be sure you have things lined up before you start setting it in place......
    We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Thomas Jefferson

Which is also why we have the second
    amendment.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links