Question on purchasing a sluice

kevin1

Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You probably won't save money, if that is your objective, and you're unlikely to improve a proven design by much.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
To me, this makes the most sense especially if you are planning to use the evermore popular goldhog mat or if you are planning on testing other capture media. Goldhog only builds and markets highbankers and not traditional stream sluices and many sluicers are converting their old stream sluices to the new technology.
You will save a few bucks by buying a blank vs. buying a brand name one with conventional riffles, carpet, moss, or whatever then converting it to what you intend to use.

Last edited:

GrizzlyGremlin

Nov 17, 2012
Absolutly worth it man!
I run a sluice with no riffles, just deep v black mat the whole sluice, and dont loose hardly anything.
Also i end up with just a cup of cons loaded up with all the heavies[emoji16]

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you use gold hog matts for strictly stream use UR Razorback and Downdraft are the way to go scrubber is good to if you work in turbulent water put somewhere in the middle to break it up

Doug Watson

Jul 29, 2010
Yep. I'd do that. Buy a drop riffle and forget all the mats etc. Simple to use, easy cleanup, and works great.

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for your Input everyone! :hello2:

I just got rid of the big bulky and heavy sluice like you want to build. I am running Angus MacKirks! Like Doug said buy a drop riffle and forget the mats! Very easy to use and clean up, easier to haul in and the Hogmats are heavy and expensive.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Absolutly worth it man!
I run a sluice with no riffles, just deep v black mat the whole sluice, and dont loose hardly anything.
Also i end up with just a cup of cons loaded up with all the heavies[emoji16]

How do you keep the rubber v mat secured in your sluice? Did you silicone it in? Thanks

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
How do you keep the rubber v mat secured in your sluice? Did you silicone it in? Thanks

Contact cement.. Like, Barge cement, tough and waterproof..... But you better be sure you have things lined up before you start setting it in place......:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread