another help me decide which sluice question

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i've been reading a lot and thinking a lot about this. i don't have time or money to buy a bunch of sluice boxes and see which one works so i really want to get it right first time if possible, so i hope you guys can help.

me and my wife will be in CA gold country full time between May and Sept. it's obvious that many of the smaller creaks will not have a lot of water.
i want to get to hard to reach places as i hope they will yield better if they haven't been worked over so much. we have a dual sport bike to get up most of the way, then hike the rest.

so we need something compact which rules out a full size conventional sluice like a Keene A52

i'm thinking either Royal folding sluice http://www.amazon.com/Royal-Locking-Folding-Backpack-Sluice/dp/B003DVEHC0 (very easy to pack away but needs pre-classifying) or Sniper Bazooka 36" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice Box - Bazooka Gold Company

both are similar price, 36" Bazooka is a bit heavier (9lbs vs. 7.3) and a lot longer (maybe i should look at the small 24 or 30"? but we have 2 people shoveling or hand dredging, what do you think?).

i guess the thing that worries me most about the Bazooka is its very thirsty (i read the Sniper is a bit better than the Prospector for water use), but i suppose i can improve water flow by setting up a dam.

so, in terms of gold capture, how would you compare the two? i assume i could move a lot more material through the Bazooka so even if it looses a bit more fine stuff than the conventional type sluices, its still ahead of the game?

what about cleanout? i haven't seen a video for the cleanout on either of these two yet. any thoughts?

what else am i missing? i know there are many other sluice boxes out there, but i mean something compact enough to backpack and great performance for less than $200

thanks

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
No matter which you choose pre-classifying is really advised to improve your sluice performance,(with the exception of the bazooka of course) so don't let that be your determining factor.
As to the bazooka .... Yes it does require a good bit of water.. So if that is in doubt you will be better off running a more conventional sluice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter which you choose pre-classifying is really advised to improve your sluice performance, so don't let that be your determining factor.

does everyone else agree with that? i can see a huge advantage in not having to classify, moving 2-3x the dirt = 2-3x the gold. so if you loose 5-10% you are still way ahead, so long as you are not loosing anything big.

anyhow, after reading the bazooka love-fest thread here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/sluicing/407815-bazooka-sniper-prospector-should-i-buy.html
i'm pretty sure i'll go with the bazooka sniper, just not sure which one. if the 24" will do it for me, that's the obvious choice for backpackability and cost.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
As to your summer adventure here's a word of advice....... Be DAMN sure your not working somebody else's claim...... Good way to get yer bike and yer butt shot.......
And why do I say this?.... Because your opening statements show little regard to research ... Instead it sounds more like your just going to go out and pretty much start digging where ever you want .... and just because you are going to go "remote" you think those creeks aren't claimed? You will be in for a huge surprise.
So do some homework on the ground you intend to cover so you save yourself some misery..... The equipment is basic.

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
actually i've studied my land matter.org extensively and will follow up with a trip to the county recorders office but thanks for the comment

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pick up an Angus MacKirk back-up for those low water conditions. Cheap light and even with classifying down to 1/4" is a lot faster than just panning when there isn't enough water for the Bazooka to do it's magic.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
actually i've studied my land matter.org extensively and will follow up with a trip to the county recorders office but thanks for the comment
No problem.... Just want ya safe out there and not make any mistakes.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For really low water go with a Le Trap or Angus MacKirk, both very good brands and proven tools.

HOWEVER: When considering weight (and bulk) remember any sluice requiring classifying means you are carrying classifiers and buckets. A Bazooka sniper needs only a 14" gold pan to dump it into - no buckets (a big ziploc bag will get your concentrates home) and no godforsaken classifiers ;)

You will get more gold with less work if you run a Bazooka due to reduced effort required to process more material. Figure on 3x the gold per day - that's why these sluices are so popular now! A 4 foot by 3 foot piece of blue tarp will work wonders in a tiny creek to guide the water...a dam built in 5 minutes will create some drop in a flat creek too. Have fun!

OP
OP
S

steveh2112

Apr 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great advice Kevin, i'm more inclined to go with the Bazooka sniper since so much has been written about it on this forum. hopefully i can find enough water in spring/early summer to keep it happy and if it gets too dry by late summer, fall, maybe get the Le Trap or Angus MacKirk

my only remaining question is which sniper? i think 36" is too big for my backpack so 24" or 30"? could someone please explain the pros and cons,

thanks

i just found this http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/bazooka-gold-trap/403128-sniper-4.html#post4507848
425jesse wrote "Snow-the fluid bed is the same size on all 3, only difference is length of slick plate and overall width of sluice entry. If you are unsure, start with the 30". That is the sluice that made me a bazooka trooper. I can move more material faster in my 30" sniper than almost any other sluice on the market, the reason is, no need to classify! Look up sniper in the search portion of your site or app and you will get tons of info, photos and stories! "
maybe the 30" is a good one for general purpose, most conditions use.

Last edited:

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As far as a MacKirk goes, I have the Foreman and love it. Classified to 1/4-3/8", you can feed at a good rate and it's really good on flour gold.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would recommend Bazooka first. The Sniper would be a good all round choice. No classifying makes a huge difference in time saved. My friend has a Calsluice and it works very well also. It would be my second choice. Good Luck in your travels.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Steven, Jesse is right about the Sniper. For most people I think the 30" will do the job just great.

You are doing a good thing wandering thru the forums for info!

Last edited:

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it like that all over the west or is there spots where it is open and everybody is welcome to try their hand at prospecting? As for that folding sluice, I read somewhere that people were having problems using them, as flopping around and leaking while using, I do not know personally, I think I read it on the old GPAA web site.

Last edited:

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for low water conditions the angus would be my selection a grubstake or recon II also I have a 36" sniper while deadly on very fine gold you need good water to run it the mackirk's just my opinion in the small streams is which I mainly do myself would be a lot easier to set up but ideal classification of 1/4" is recommended nothing bigger than 1/2" and just be careful of water surge I'm in the process right now trying to rig up something to run my mikes hand tromel right into the sluice with a slide tray slow and steady with out overload

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
is it like that all over the west or is there spots where it is open and everybody is welcome to try their hand at prospecting? As for that folding sluice, I read somewhere that people were having problems using them, as flopping around and leaking while using, I do not know personally, I think I read it on the old GPAA web site.

There are lots of spots everyone is welcome. However on national forest and BLM land you have to check for claims before you go. Mylandmatters.org works great to do your own research.

If you want a list of places you know you are welcome, let us know where you're headed and I'm sure someone here will have a few tips. I can certainly help for Colorado!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread