MOCK UP OF A HIGHBANKER KIT FOR MY BAZOOKA PROSECTOR (i hope it works)

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thurman, there is a whole bunch posted on making a highbanker from a Bazooka Sniper. Check out my posting history for the one I built a few months ago. It's easy to do, all electric and a 10 year old can run it well as I proved last week when I went out with 6 9-12 year olds! Good fun that!!

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kevin,

Since posting my request for information, (new to the forum) I have discovered how to access older posts. What a treasure of information! I had also bugged Goodyguy and have let him know that I now know how to navigate here a little better.

Kevin, what a joy to read your posts and the patience you invariably show to us newer guys trying to learn. I have a Bazooka on order and am anxious to put some of your knowledge published here to use. I think the 36 inch Sniper will become one of my favorite tools. Although I must say that it is somewhat discouraging to know that so much water will be required for a successful 12v high banker.

As a wild idea after doing some reading on the physics of pumping water, I am trying to figure a way to pump water to an elevated "holding tank" - at the leisure of the pump size at hand (while digging the material to be tested or run). Then when ready to sluice, run the elevated water with a pump(s) sized for running this "easy" water. I have not finished my reading, but "raising" the (heavy) water along with hose length and friction are two of the major problems (obviously, but how would a crazy prospector know that?).

I am designing a nice stand to be used in stream or for high banking when the time comes. I will post any results that are worthy. Some may be relieved to know that I am not using PVC tubes!

Now off to reading some of your previous posts!

Best regards, Thurman

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thurman, thanks for the praise :)

Your holding tank sounds like a cool idea, I would love to see that in action...even via video!

For what it's worth, 1200 gallons per hour for the Sniper isn't that much water/pumping and it's easy to do with a very portable battery. In my case, I'm going to jump up to a 2000gph pump I'm buying from a friend soon, it'll be interesting to see how that changes the process.

Last edited:

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Finally have my idea for the highbanker bazooka mod figured out. Think 7400 gph is too much for a 48" prospector? Going to start with 3700 gph then buy a 2nd pump if needed. More details to come when fabrication commences.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Now to figure out the power source that wont break the bank or my back to carry it. Deep cycle marine battery??

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where you planning to run this beast? A small generator might be better if you'll be outside metro Denver. A 7400 gph pump is going to burn thru a battery pretty fast I'd think!

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was hoping to make one I could run pretty much anywhere, but the sheer volume of water needed is posing a problem with that possibility. I am looking at around $350 for the 2 pumps, battery, and solar panel to help mitigate the power consumption. I can get a gph equivalent gas pump for $200 or less. What to do, what to do.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, do a little math on amp hours available in the battery vs amps pulled by the pump to make sure you'll have enough running time. It could work(?). Otherwise for electric operations you'll need a smaller sluice. I built a highbanker kit for my Sniper instead of my Prospector for this very reason.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
About 2 hrs of run time is what I calculated without the solar panel assisting. Cost is an issue my wife is having for "an experiment" and understandably so.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would love to buy a sniper to build the highbanker with, then I would have a sluice for any water condition, but then I have another cost associated with the project.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would love to buy a sniper to build the highbanker with, then I would have a sluice for any water condition, but then I have another cost associated with the project.

Understood, that's another $150 or so.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing what I know here it is.

A 36" sniper and a 60+ gpm (Honda)pump is the optimal configuration that allows portability. Battery power at a 30" sniper level is a PITA. So a longer box and heavy battery to carry? Minis make great concentrators at 1000gpm. when you get to prospectors your going to need at the least a 2" trash pump. I don't know if they make a back pack model 2" trash pump.

With a Bazooka if you don't have water over the grizzly bars you are not running right

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am now looking at a 150gpm 2" gas pump to run my prospector highbanker. At $180 from harbor freight it is a steal. Going to put the electric version on the "possibly in the future" table and get started on the build. Hopefully I will have it completed minus the pump by the end of January so it can sit and stare at me to hurry up and change the seasons.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Also the pump at 58# is lighter amd cheaper than the solar panel system alone I was configuring for the electric system and that doesnt include the pumps, hoses, or battery.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep a single power unit I.E internal combustion engine is the cheapest way to go....Make sure you find a Harbor freight coupon...and sometimes a free shipping code!!

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The $180 price was with their holiday sale and a 20% coupon. So by the time I finally get it it should be just over $200. Still less than my electric set up was going to be by a considerable amount.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Question question question......hahaha. Should I go with a bigger pump and throttle it down for the gpm I need. Sounds logical in the wear and tear department. The next size up in pumps is a 250 gpm pump for $299.

Dain8404

Jan 31, 2013
Colby, KS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say yes if you can afford to do so. Throttling down will allow you to run longer on what fuel you have. Then as a bonus, if you need more push for a different configuration later you have more power to play with.

Just my 2 cents.

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you everyone for your thoughts, ideas, and 2 cents. I pretty much have it figured out. Now to get started. Will post pics as the build begins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread