MOCK UP OF A HIGHBANKER KIT FOR MY BAZOOKA PROSECTOR (i hope it works)

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The weather is nice finally so it's time to pull everything out of the basement, go out back on this nice warm sunny day and try to finish up this project. The water supply is a 3,700 GPH electric pump powered with a lightweight small, super quiet generator. I still need to glue the PVC pieces, make a bracket to secure the waterfall and sluice when using, rig up something to hang the pump underneath, and make a trash screen to go around the pump. I am doing this project because it's fun, and a lot of places of interest don't have enough water flow. This whole setup fits in my backpack along with a 14 inch gold pan, container, food and water. Bazooka owners with any input or advice on this idea would be appreciated. Thanks, Jay

unnamed[1] (2).jpg unnamed[1] (3).jpg unnamed[1] (4).jpg unnamed[1] (5).jpg unnamed[1] (6).jpg unnamed[1] (7).jpg unnamed[1].jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Two questions:
1. Do you have a valve in there somewhere to control flow between the fluid bed vs. the waterfall?
2. What is the blue stuff on the ends of the tubes feeding the fluid bed?

Looks like it'll work great btw. Eager to see a video!

OP
OP
Frank D.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kevin,
Thanks, I hope it works! As for the blue stuff. That is 3/4 inch heavy duty foam from an exercise mat bought at Walmart for 5 dollars. The reason I put it in the end of the tubes is to try to keep the water feed isolated to the fluid bed input tubes only. No, I don't have a valve, but could easily put one in. Do you think it would be needed?

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your gonna need a bigger pump

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Kevin,
Thanks, I hope it works! As for the blue stuff. That is 3/4 inch heavy duty foam from an exercise mat bought at Walmart for 5 dollars. The reason I put it in the end of the tubes is to try to keep the water feed isolated to the fluid bed input tubes only. No, I don't have a valve, but could easily put one in. Do you think it would be needed?

Not sure if you'll need a valve, I just imagine you might but it's an added cost so just do it if needed.

OP
OP
Frank D.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Goldwasher, I was thinking that the sealed fit of the PVC pipe over the input tubes to the fluid bed would beef up the water pressure to the fluid bed. The idea is higher water pressure to the fluid bed, and more volume to the spillway on top. What do you think?

OP
OP
Frank D.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, I thing I'll give it a test run first, and then see if I need one. I'm hoping the reduced pipe where it goes to the fluid bed is going to really up the pressure to the jets in the fluid bed, while filling the top effectively.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
like the looks it also would like to see a vid of that too and add a valve at least you'll know for sure while testing

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with getting a valve without it you will have have little control of flow a pvc ball valve is under 5 bucks

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Kevin, I thing I'll give it a test run first, and then see if I need one. I'm hoping the reduced pipe where it goes to the fluid bed is going to really up the pressure to the jets in the fluid bed, while filling the top effectively.

Upping the fluid bed pressure may be a very bad idea. I am quite eager to hear how it goes. Lots to learn here!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin is right you don't want too much pressure. Luckily and unfortunately for you ...you have a bilge pump so pressure won't be an issue. In our testing an open flow to the trap(if there is no valve for control) is essential. Creating a mock up of a creek seems to be the best bet. Up to the snipers its doable with portability.
The problem is when you get to the prospector line you have to have 150 GPM at least to get the kind of flow volume needed to actually have a productive " POWER-SLUICE"
I wish I could get a prospector to run at the production level I can achieve with my traditional Hi-banker. I can run A LOT of material with it running a 50 to 90 gpm pump. And be pretty free to move. With a prospector I would need to huff around a 40+ pound pump plus other gear.

OP
OP
Frank D.

Frank D.

Sep 20, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I will be sure to add a valve for the fluid bed. I am hoping that the waterfall set on a good angle will use that gravity to compensate for the pump so I get enough flow down the top

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes, fowledup is right; progress report and pictures (video?) needed. :)

Hopefully, it is going super well.

OhioKeith

Tenderfoot
Feb 13, 2015
Canal Winchester, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm also very interested in how this is going. I love modifying things to make them multi-use and practical. It's always fun when something you create works as good as or better than expected! Hopefully we can get an update . :)

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jayrock I like your ingenuity. :icon_thumleft:

If you want to run that outfit as a concentrator and only feed it classified material 1/4" or less then your pump should be adequate.
However you will need way more gpm than that pump is capable of to run unclassified material and get satisfactory results.

I tried it once using two separate pumps, one not quite as powerful as yours (2400 gph) for the top deck and a smaller one (800 gph) for the trap. The trap would stay fluidized but there was just not enough flow on the top deck to move the unclassified material at a rate necessary for timely feeding or without spending time helping the material progress by hand. Panning would have been faster.

One thing that may come in handy is to place your highbanker assy into a slow moving creek and let your pump assist by boosting the flow down the deck.
It appears from the photo that you allowed enough space under your waterfall for the above scenario to operate successfully under certain conditions.

GG~

Last edited:

itspaidfor

Feb 18, 2015
LeClaire,Ia
Primary Interest:
Other
Might I suggest building a steel fluid box for the end of any highbanker. Just weld up a deep steel box with a lip on the upper end same width as your sluice on the highbanker and wala! Fluid bed catch just like I have on my trommel. It works on any trommel or highbanker.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might I suggest building a steel fluid box for the end of any highbanker. Just weld up a deep steel box with a lip on the upper end same width as your sluice on the highbanker and wala! Fluid bed catch just like I have on my trommel. It works on any trommel or highbanker.

Got a photo?

This is what I use on the end of mine made from PVC......
I call it "Add a Trap" and it works like a charm on the end of highbanker, trommel, or even a dredge.
addatrap1.jpg dow2.jpg

Last edited:

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mr. Goodguy,

From your posts here and elsewhere, I think you have done the thinking and development work involved in making a Bazooka into a working highbanker.. I am awaiting delivery of a 36 inch Sniper ....with plans to make a highbanker ( I choose the Sniper hoping the water requirements could be met with 12v pumps). The highbanker shown under development at Bazooka does not look real promising. I think any real highbanker ought to have a "crash box" or whatever it is called to clean and slurry the shoveled material with a grizzly to exit the bigger stuff before entering the sluice.

Chris at Bazooka mentioned the issue you have raised - that of adequate water supply; even going to a gasoline pump for this purpose. I think this kills the idea of a portable high banker running on 12volts. Surely a couple of 2000 gph 12 volts pumps should be able to do the job. I for sure don't want to position the highbanker in a stream to accomplish good results.

So what am I missing. Volume, pressure, what? I have seen many (even recirculating) sluices set up that seem to work. Surely the small fluid bed of a Sniper could be fed adequately with a "bilge" type pump - and another pump to clear the slick plate after removing the larger material in a crash box.

Obviously, I need some conceptual help with this problem. Any comments would be appreciated, even references to your earlier posts or suggestions for my further studies, as I know this is not a simple subject. Thanks for all your insights on this forum.

Best regards, Thurman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread