How do you guys carry your (long) sluices?

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still in the designing stage of my fluidbed sluice. Recently it came to my mind that I have to get it somehow to the destination. This will not be to remote, but usually not at the road. So I had a look at the carrying options.

It seems a lot use is made of these Alice packs from surplus.

They are cheap and robust and said to do the job quite well. When digging into the Alice system I found that some complained it to be quite unconvenient. And I could imagine a 50"ish sluice would stick out a lot.

So do you have any solutions, suggestions, pictures how to haul a long sluice with shovel, bucket, pan etc. the most convenient way through the woods?

Thanks
Peter

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
50"? Maybe your design for a fluid bed sluice should be more along the proven lines of a Bazooka. 36" Prospector Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice Box - Bazooka Gold Company With that design 36" would probably still be more than adequate even for two men, one digging and one feeding the sluice. It could be attached to the outside of your pack (or carried in some other fashion) and maybe not be much of a hinderance while bushwhacking to your site as opposed to a longer design.

Good luck

Last edited:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a cheap game backpack I picked up off amazon. It was around $50. I set my bazooka in a 3 gallon bucket and can put all my tools in the bucket. Then it just sits on the game bag and I use 3 bungees to hold it on. I also modified a backpack that clips on to the back of it all so I can carry some food/water and my pans. Frees my hands up so all I have is my shovel and it's a lot easier on the shoulders than carrying the sluice and buckets like I used to. I'll try to find the link for it later if I get a chance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
50"? Maybe your design for a fluid bed sluice should be more along the proven lines of a Bazooka. 36" Prospector Bazooka Gold Trap Sluice Box - Bazooka Gold Company With that design 36" would probably still be more than adequate even for two men, one digging and one feeding the sluice. It could be attached to the outside of your pack (or carried in some other fashion) and maybe not be much of a hinderance while bushwhacking to your site as opposed to a longer design.

Good luck

Well to be fair ... I am more in the 48" adapted to metric. But even 30" seems to be longer than Alice, or the other surplus army systems (Molle II, Ilbe, Filbe), can take. For obvious reasons on some locations I'd prefer to have the equipment concealed in the bag :icon_scratch: ... outside, by chance, for others. Unfortunately I did not find any affordable solution so far. Even the US Army shovel I have and like is in the 37" range and should fit inside a concealed pack.

If I find no better solution a duffle bag strapped on a Alice carrier system might be the way to go ...

OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a cheap game backpack I picked up off amazon. It was around $50. I set my bazooka in a 3 gallon bucket and can put all my tools in the bucket. Then it just sits on the game bag and I use 3 bungees to hold it on. I also modified a backpack that clips on to the back of it all so I can carry some food/water and my pans. Frees my hands up so all I have is my shovel and it's a lot easier on the shoulders than carrying the sluice and buckets like I used to. I'll try to find the link for it later if I get a chance.

I would highly appreciate that. Did not find anything like this on the German Amazon... Maybe because of hunting depends on a expensive license here... or maybe I'm just to dumb...

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
sluice.jpg Here's how I have it setup. I just clip my backpack on the upper rack, I sewed 2 clips on each side so it quickly clips on and off.

here's the link on amazon for the one I bought
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RL5PHY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was $58 but it looks like they may not make it anymore. There's similar options in that price range though.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RL5PHY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking good !!! Thanks for that. Unfortunately 135,-- US$ is quite a pain in the ... wallet, for just a frame. And ... it's not under cover, but that is what a tarp might help with.
How far does it stick out over your head? Any problems with the center of gravity?

Thanks
Peter

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a shoulder strap attached to an eye bolt at each end of the side of the sluice. Works better than you would think. (Think of a rifle sling)
Hands are free to carry anything else that wont fit into your back pack.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a shoulder strap attached to an eye bolt at each end of the side of the sluice. Works better than you would think. (Think of a rifle sling)
Hands are free to carry anything else that wont fit into your back pack.

GG~

Thanks GG,

do I get you right, that you carry it on a separate strap (over the shoulder) next to the side of your back pack? Sounds like a neat way to do it.

Peter

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

dashriprock

Jan 18, 2014
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster Vsat
Tesoro Diablo Umaxx
Garrett CXIII
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
It probly sticks about a foot above my head. It feels like a normal backpacking backpack and it's pretty light if i don't fill my backpack up to much. Looks like I messed up and linked mine twice lol. Here's a link to a similar one that is still in the same price range. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000PTOOJY/ref=pd_aw_sim_468_3?refRID=1VBHMGWVSMYE6G085Z4D

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately not available on Amazon and eBay Germany :dontknow:
But found something similar from Tatonka on amazon.de - for double the price :sadsmiley:

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Bummer, well if you have anything similar to craigslist over there maybe try to find a used backpack frame and try modifying it and adding a shelf at the bottom. I've seen those for around $30 used. The big thing is the shelf though, it makes it very easy to setup and take apart. I imagine you could use some rigid 1/2 conduit possibly to make the bottom. Mainly you just want a lip for everything to sit on so it wont slide down and the bungees just keep it in place so it doesn't fall off.

Another thought would be maybe check out army surplus stores if ya have them in your area.

OP
OP
M

Master-Peter

Apr 19, 2015
near Hannover
Detector(s) used
not have
Primary Interest:
Other
... Another thought would be maybe check out army surplus stores if ya have them in your area.

Yep we have army surplus here and they even carry alice for a cheap price. There is original (?)a shelf for the alice system available on ebay USA. But not here wher I live. But might be easy to make something, building on the frame.

This is afaik the original frame with shelf. For a couple of dollars in the US ...
Alice_w_shelf.JPG

Last edited:

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Master, Send me a PM. I might be able to help you with shipping or something.

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a rugged 4 wheel folding cart that I picked up off of amazon. Luckily my spot has a decent easy trail to it. My cart holds my 54" stream sluice, stand, header with hose, pump, buckets, classifiers, pick and shovel.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread