Anyone have experience making a hand dredge for cleaning out cracks?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Below are a couple of links to get you a start. Everyone has their own preference as to what they want in a hand dredge, so you may want to play with a few different designs. Honestly, I like the one that Victor (MadMarshall) uses and IMHO it by far, out performs the one that I have and many others I have seen.

If you really want to save money on building a hand dredge, check out the construction dumpsters at construction sites or dump piles by the road where houses are being remodeled. In the last 10 years, I have scored enough new and good used PVC piping to re-plumb most of my' house and build a few hand dredges. I find that when a project is finished, they often throw out lots of PVC end caps and elbows and I have dozens of them.

Hand Dredge

Frank

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In many cases you can return those fittings to your local big box store and they'll give you a gift card!

OP
OP
M

matt_unique

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks

I built the above but it was too hard to pull and everything poured out as soon as you stop drawing. The only foam at Home Depot that will fit a 1" pvc pipe was 1/2" and is too snug to be usable inside the 2" pvc pipe.

I'll keep looking...

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
leather cups

CA Gold Hunter

Nov 14, 2014
Northern California
Detector(s) used
White's TDI SL, Fors Gold+, Gold Monster 1000, 36" Bazooka Prospector, 30" Bazooka Sniper.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use 2 of these. You need 2 because the larger part of the plug wont fit in a 2" pipe. You could grind it down but it comes out cleaner with the bottom piece from 2 plugs.

Shop Oatey 1.5 Dia PVC Test Plug Fitting at Lowes.com

You can get the same plug at home depot. I got a piece of leather from Micheals and cut it about 1/4-5/8" larger than the plug. Sandwitch it in between the 2 smaller pieces of the plug and soak it in some water. The suction is so great if you test it out on your skin you'll give yourself a 2" round hicky lol.

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have built and sold over 4000 hand dredges since 2003. I have posted on one gold prospecting forum how to build. Pretty simple. Here is the type of seal I use. 2inchsniperseal_zps98902f90.jpg

Last edited:

BMOLLMAN

Greenie
Oct 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the plunger seal, I've cut out round plugs from a cheap pair of flip-flops. You can make many from a large pair. (Turned on a hand-drill, shaped against sandpaper.) Sandwiched them between a couple of fender washers on the end of the rod. Easy & cheap!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For the plunger seal, I've cut out round plugs from a cheap pair of flip-flops. You can make many from a large pair. (Turned on a hand-drill, shaped against sandpaper.) Sandwiched them between a couple of fender washers on the end of the rod. Easy & cheap!

Tennis balls work also! See video by Goldgrabber in the UK.

tyeechinook

Sep 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deserdog, where do you find those seals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some hardware stores carry them. Anywhere from 1 1/2" up to 3" or 4". They last a long time too. I had one gold prosepctor wear one out in a season though. but he said he was a monster, used it 8 hours a day all season!!!

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!! That is one monster super sucker!! Looks like it is working really well!!1

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suckers, indeed,

I bought the best one Gold-n-Sand makes. I am sure there are other quality vendors out there like DeserDog who posted here. I bought a small one at a prospecting Shop in Prescott AZ last summer because I left mine home. The supposedly reputable mfr. made a piece of JUNK! Also, in general, I have found the larger suckers of VERY limited utility for the prospector. The videos showing volumes of material being sucked are a joke. And worse very misleading.

The general concept IS APPEALING (as witnessed by the huge interest and sales) but the effort and awkward ergonomic aspects will kill you in short order - with very little to show for the effort. Lots of improvements, handles, valves, etc. have been suggested and executed - still it is a hard way to get nothing in my experience. I could be entirely wrong of course. Large bedrock cracks, especially underwater, would be a good application....but I rarely encounter one that can't be scooped out much more effectively. There must be thousands of these things laying around, unused.

On the other hand, the smaller bulb type suckers for bedrock work are of fantastic utility. Just my take, and remember I am no expert or have vast experience.

Thurman

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having heard from hundreds of my buyers, I have got to disagree when it comes to the larger sucekrs. I do agree with the type that have the check valves, they are just a pain in the !!!! With my 2 inch and 3 inch suckers, I can suck material from underwater faster than my sluice can process it. And a sucker works way better for moving material from underwater than a shovel. When you lift that shovel out of a hole, you will see water draining right out, there goes a bunch of your gold.

I have cleaned out a lot of small cracks and crevices with my own original gold sucker. Works great, much faster than a turkey baster, and way better suction.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suckers, indeed, in general, I have found the larger suckers of VERY limited utility for the prospector. The videos showing volumes of material being sucked are a joke. And worse very misleading.
Thurman

Well my video's show it how it is. Every tool has its own application and place where it works. I built my 3" for that place and it works great. Many people have borrowed it at different outings and many have copied it and made their own. It's proven and there's nothing fake in that video. Mostly what I have seen is a lot of people with nothing to show make comments against the people who take the time to make the videos and show everyone how it is...
There is a huge difference between the gold-n-sand store bought and the plans that I put out for people who want to make their own quality equipment. In fact you can not compare the 2 in any way. If yours didn't work, that's the breaks... Mine works fine because what makes our equipment work is the sole responsibility, know-how, and experience of the operator. I didn't just use mine for a few minutes and then toss it aside, I learned what makes it work the best. There's at least 4 different video's showing us using ours on different days for hours on end.

Here's your link >
Gold Prospecting Equipment by Gold-N-Sand
You can easily see there's no comparing

Then Rodney made his after using mine -

Then so did the Deal, Eric Deleel from "Legend of the Superstition Mountains" Eric "Deal" Deleel - Legend of the Superstition Mountains Cast - HISTORY.com -

Eric used mine first in a few different movies and at different club outings listed on my channel along with many other miners. Here's one of many

Last edited:

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evidence,

Watch these videos, and hundreds like them carefully. They show how little material, at great physical expense can be moved by suckers of any type or quality. It is a VERY, VERY HARD WAY TO GET NOTHING unless the material is rich. And as we all know, it rarely is. Sure, you can get some gold by any method. Personally, I like the Gold n Sand quality and design. The flow valves are indispensable in my humble opinion. It is fun....just sayin.

No intent to bad-mouth anyones methods, preferences or products. Just trying to help those who are thinking of making or buying a hand dredge, manage their expectations and find storage space for it... For craftsmen, I would recommend building your own as there is a wealth of information out there. Take the advice of buying quality key components. Start with a very small one. It may end up being your favorite!

Best regards to all, Thurman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions