Bazooka and metal detecting the tailings

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about how the Bazooka classifies and larger material and it goes up and over into the tailing's. Much like a Drywasher.....in which case with a drywasher, you would swing an MD over those tailing's to see if a nugget flew by.

So do any Bazooka owners do that?
Or any other sluices that can handle larger material?

You never know right??

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was thinking about how the Bazooka classifies and larger material and it goes up and over into the tailing's. Much like a Drywasher.....in which case with a drywasher, you would swing an MD over those tailing's to see if a nugget flew by.

So do any Bazooka owners do that?
Or any other sluices that can handle larger material?

You never know right??

It is highly unlikely that a "nugget" would escape once it is inside the trap but a large dirt clod that does not dissolve and contains gold might go over the grizzly along with stones of the same size. If you are feeding mostly loose material I would not worry about it. Regulate what washes over the grizzly by changing the angle so it is flatter. If you notice clods that stay intact then break them up on the grizzly or take them out and break them up before re feeding. Larger nuggets by themselves will just hang up at the grizzly entrance if they are too large to enter.
Good luck.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he means over the grizzly. ...I wouldn't worry about that either

OP
OP
G-bone

G-bone

Dec 9, 2014
Ventura Ca
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro w/ NEL coil.
Minelab Xterra 705,
Bazooka Snipers (24" and 30").
Royal Folding Sluice with Gold hog mats.
Thompson 12V Puffer Drywasher.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.
Good points.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the size of the gold in your area? If you consistently get 1 gram + pickers then there might be some concern. If you just pulling 20+- happily shovel away.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the size of the gold in your area? If you consistently get 1 gram + pickers then there might be some concern. If you just pulling 20+- happily shovel away.

What's this 20+ you are talking about? :)

Last edited:

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It would take a pretty good sized piece to go over the (1/4"+) grizzly. 20 is mesh size. Yes you will get bigger than that (on a good day). Once you get the Bazooka watch the deck. Maybe try some pieces of lead. A flattened .22 slug or similar will answer a good portion of your concerns. Depending how you run it'll probably just sit on the deck. Or at least drag behind enough to see it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions