Yellow fever much?!?!

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk, 48" BGT Prospector, and a pan.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man I really need my wife's schedule to change from working weekends apparently. Was digging some rock/gravel out beside the driveway and for gits and shiggles panned some out. Found two specks of that yellow awesomeness in two small pans!!! :occasion14: May start digging up the front yard if I cant get out on a creek or up to Denver soon.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That's a nice start!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man. Finding gold on your property would be soooo sweet!

"Rents backhoe"......

bobw53

Oct 23, 2014
Hatch, New Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man. Finding gold on your property would be soooo sweet!

"Rents backhoe"......

It is pretty sweet, but you don't rent a backhoe, you go buy one... I picked up this one for not much more than scrap price a week before I even tried to find a piece of
gold, anywhere, ever... Sad part is, between work and digging for gold, and the honeydew list, I haven't got it running yet.
15157371520_5cf55fa2f9_c.jpg

When the little lady gets sick of your crap, she can tell you to go play in the yard... Where I came from, that means grab a beer and go mow the lawn... I don't even have a lawnmower, nevermind
a lawn to mow. Do a little drywashing outback, or some rock hunting, or grab some black sand out of the driveway and run it through the cube, or go head down the arroyo and play with the
metal detector.

Its pretty darn sweet, and I lived there for almost 5 years before I played with any of it... I grab the dirt out of the holes the dogs dug.. 4-6 little pieces of TINY flour per tablespoon full, some
decent size stuff out in the "drive way" extension... And more flour... I've pulled some plus 60 out of the pile of dirt left from when they dug our septic tank... And rocks... I have
no bedrock(that I've found yet), I have no rock outcroppings, but I do have rocks that have washed down from the mountain, and I've found gold in those... And some are tricky, pretty
piece of quartz with gold that has been coated with caliche and looks like a crappy tan rock.

It is pretty darn fun...

Arroyo out back, where the pick is, I pulled 6 decent little pieces in a single prospector scoop, metal detecting, (more specifically LEARNING to metal detect), probably a pocket
of black sand.
16601548238_d49ddb4b37_c.jpg

A good example of those "pretty" rocks that are out there... The MD20 and currency microscope tells me there is gold in there.
15216951514_401f7978dd_c.jpg

Part of the driveway... The part we don't really drive on... I've got about 600 feet of this.
15414915588_d0e279f656_c.jpg

Pretty little piece that came out of that driveway.
15090967184_5fa1d58908_c.jpg

Chris in CO, get digging... You aren't "looking for gold", you are making a nice flowerbed... Or the foundation for a new Gazebo, or some such other non-sense..
My better half plays along with the piles of rocks in the front yard... They are for a planned "rock garden".. They aren't there to be crushed...

Gold in your yard is pretty darn sweet. If you don't have half a day or a whole day to go out and get gold, you can go play in the yard for a half hour, or a few hours..
Its a fantastic time waster and stress reliever.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Man I really need my wife's schedule to change from working weekends apparently. Was digging some rock/gravel out beside the driveway and for gits and shiggles panned some out. Found two specks of that yellow awesomeness in two small pans!!! :occasion14: May start digging up the front yard if I cant get out on a creek or up to Denver soon.

Back 35 years ago or so, when I first came to Colorado prings, low grade gold ore from Cripple Creek was used as fill rock, for rock gardens, driveways, etc. That was done for a long time. My guess is that your gold probably came from that, though sand from the old Denver gravel pits also had gold in it. And tailings from the Golden Cycle Mill on US 24 have been washed into Fountain Creek, so there are some small specs in it. The other possibility is that lots of tailings from Breckenridge, Fairplay, Cripple Creek, and other sites were hauled home in the 80's (and perhaps other times also) and worked by folks here in Colorado Springs in their back yards, etc. You just might have some cons that were worked but not all the smaller stuff removed, sitting there by your driveway.

That said, there is little chance that you have gold bearing material on your property that is native to it unless you live near Centennial Blvd where Blair Athol used to be. I understand there was by-product gold from copper ore there. But Denver waterways do have gold! It is the closest area with gold to Colorado Springs unless you live in the extreme southern end, then Point Bar on the Arkansas might be closer.

Good luck with your driveway diggings! If you tire of that, maybe we can go to Denver together one day. Send me a PM.

OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you everyone for the funny, and informative responses. I just found out I will have July 3rd off from work. Denver day trip is already planned!!!

OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Planning to be at Arapahoe Bar around 9am Friday July 3rd if anyone is interested and able to join me. Will stay until 1 or 2.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe it's time for a swimming pool in the yard as well? Panning all that should keep you out of trouble for quite a while...

OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I may be a little later than 9am. A honeydo list has magically appeared for my day off!!! Willstill be there but it may be closer to around 10

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I may be a little later than 9am. A honeydo list has magically appeared for my day off!!! Willstill be there but it may be closer to around 10

So I think all of us were late. Mountain Man, GoldpannerDave and ChrisinCO did get to Arapahoe Bar yesterday, 3rd July. We had three different sizes of Bazookas in the creek. A 36" Sniper, a 48" Prospector and a 48" Miner. I guess we were the 3 Bazookateers. :)

Pictures to follow.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Pictures from Arapahoe Bar

ChrisinCO on left and Mountain gold on the right trying to get my 48" Miner situated in Clear Creek

Arapahoe Bar 3 July 2015 002.JPG

ChrisinCO with his 48" Prospector and my 48" Miner
Arapahoe Bar 3 July 2015 003.JPG

Chris starting a cleanup.
Arapahoe Bar 3 July 2015 004.JPG

More pictures with gold to follow.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Part of a first test clean up for Chris

Arapahoe Bar 3 July 2015 006.JPG

And one for Mountain gold
Arapahoe Bar 3 July 2015 001.JPG

Mountain gold

May 20, 2015
Arvada Colorado
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had a great time out at Arapaho Bar with Dave and Chris. Dave had the good camera so that is why he didn't have any pictures of him self but I did take a few with my phone.....

Dave doing a clean up....
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436092647.697532.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436092724.334327.jpg

All three bazookas in the stream, ( mine is the tiny little speck about 10 yards behind the juggernaut that Dave brought)

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436092752.314476.jpg

And a side by side of Dave's and my bazookas..
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1436093253.406197.jpg

All in all it was a great day and I got to meet two great people.

Gerald AKA Mountain gold

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ChrisinCO

Aug 19, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sorry for the delayed post, but it was a real pleasure digging with you guys on Friday. Thank you again for the panning pointers. I also found a good size flake among my smaller stuff. About .01g by itself!! Needless to say I was a happy prospector.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice, Chris! I am going to try to work up my cons this weekend (not much time during the week). I'll post a picture then.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nice, Chris! I am going to try to work up my cons this weekend (not much time during the week). I'll post a picture then.

Here is my cleanup, but it was not from the Miller table; it was not set up just quickly panned, with black sands marked and saved for the winter. Then I forgot the black sand cons from a test clean up on the creek and a snuffer bottle I had used on the creek. They had a little more gold. Then the camera batteries apparently went as I snapped a better picture with a coin. But by the time I learned that the 2nd and 3rd pictures did not store, I had put everything away. Oh well, this is most of it. It was nice getting to work with both of you. Thanks.

Dave

gold 001.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread