Bazooka skip plate with vmatting

b.jmining530

Mar 15, 2014
Oroville Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a bazooka and want to put skid plate with vmatting on it, I made some paper templates for a visual to see what looks better. Any thoughts? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437278447.504742.jpg right by the grizzly bars ? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437278488.521964.jpg or closer towards the flare?

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nooooooo, don't do it. But if you must then on the upstream end.

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts are that the Bazooka Gold Trap doesn't come with a skid plate with v-matting on it for a reason!

For. A. Reason exclamation point

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Then go for it knowing it will slow you down a little bit as it reduces throughput a bit. No biggie really. So if it gives you joy, do it :)

OP
OP
b.jmining530

b.jmining530

Mar 15, 2014
Oroville Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am going to make the skip plate remove able so I can run a test bucket see if I am on bigger gold take it out then go to town on an area

Lefty2u

Dec 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
inspection mat

I have a bazooka and want to put skid plate with vmatting on it, I made some paper templates for a visual to see what looks better. Any thoughts? View attachment 1189097 right by the grizzly bars ? View attachment 1189098 or closer towards the flare?

I have inspection mat on my bazooka 36 in sniper. Put it at least 7 inches away from the metal bars. I was told this by Todd, the guy who makes the sluice.
My matt is shallow u bought at Lowes hardware store. It catches fine gold and lets me know if I am in a spot with gold. I run one five gallon bucket and if
there is no gold in the inspection matt I move to another spot. Hope this helps.

Lefty2u

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to see if I am on the gold without cleaning up
That's a sniper isn't it....just dump it in a pan and check!!!!!You'll be amazed at the gold you see stick to the factory deck as it is.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Putting matting on a Bazooka is right of passage or itch that every BGT owner at one point needs to scratch. It's that final confidence check you gotta do in order to have complete trust in it. I know my vmat lasted about two trips before I sh-- canned the idea and haven't looked back since- your catching what you put in it!

OP
OP
b.jmining530

b.jmining530

Mar 15, 2014
Oroville Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know if gold is in the dirt I am feeding it , it is being caught , I just want to see a little before clean ups

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you have your sniper cradled right you can dump it and have it back in the cradle in less than fifteen seconds. Then 3 minutes to pan it you and you will know. If you put matting right before the grizzly your are going to create a rock jam which can only be averted by tipping your sniper so steep that you create an over the top current swooping away your fines leaving a small v shaped catch basin in the trap. Here is one way that I know I am on the gold

IMG_4176.JPG

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'd be the first to say don't do it. But if you do, consider doing it like this. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437409937.175203.jpg

I just couldn't help myself. You see a buddy gave me some of this. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437410077.863141.jpg

And last week I happened to have a little rubber cement left over from fixing the dryer. And, I don't know, they just fell together...

It happened to be low profile. More like wavy mat than V mat. But it's what I had and was right for the job. I didn't intend to catch the gold. Just slow it down enough to see some of it. Notice it is small and doesn't go to the edges. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437410848.677050.jpg . It is easily cleaned with a finger after each sample. I certainly want all the gold to leave the deck and nestle into its fluid bed.
I kinda knew I was breaking the Bazooka "code" and felt dirty after doing it. But it worked just as I had hoped.

After running a bucket a number of specks hung on my new inspection area. I always am inspired to work harder when I can see gold.

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437411725.156615.jpg here's one fail from the 2nd outing. All day this little guy was caught under the edge. Didn't quite look like gold but maybe... Nah. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437412002.739567.jpg

This is a problem about mats. Stuff gets under them. This was pyrite. But gold will make its way under too.

OP
OP
b.jmining530

b.jmining530

Mar 15, 2014
Oroville Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok so I was able to get the metal plates bent today the remove easily and need matting. What do you thing would be a better spot ? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437424916.806930.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437424944.141580.jpg I was thinking of doing a 3 inch strip of matting that way it doesn't slow down my sluice to much

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is only the time space continuum that your playing with.....no biggie...:censored: be careful:laughing7:...........at least its removable and the first time you throw it I bet it goes a good thirty yards:tongue3:

Like Joe said don't put it too close to the grizz...it will make a ramp....a ramp on a Bazooka is how you lose gold....it never makes the trap!!!!!!

believe me ....or lose gold.....those are your choices:laughing9:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am teasing I hope you know....How are you gonna hold it down?

OP
OP
b.jmining530

b.jmining530

Mar 15, 2014
Oroville Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It's all good!! It fist in pretty snugly. Like it took some effort to get it out. But I think these pins will do the trick. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1437432421.060846.jpg

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It is only the time space continuum that your playing with.....no biggie...:censored:

Oh ok. I thought it was something serious.

Good luck with the tray. Looks good. You might even be able to lift it out and retrieve your gold.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread