Bending 1/4" ABS...help

mofugly13

Jan 30, 2015
San Francisco, Ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I am working on a clone of a Bazooka Prospector. I have all the pieces cut out, but am looking for advice about bending the sides. I am using 1/4" ABS. I bought a plastrip heater strip, but after an hour on the abs, it is still not hot enough to get an easy, sharp bend. Without dropping $300 on a real strip heater, what are my other options for making these bends?

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mofugly13,

Without proper heat, the only real option is routing a V groove, say half way through the material, heat and bend on the groove. Another option I have used many times, especially with 1/4 Star Board, is to make a dove tail joint for the entire length, very possible with 1/4 inch material. Router tools are available. Make the female groove a quarter inch or so above the actual bottom. Good luck,

Thurman

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Grays Harbor in Washington state
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a heat gun. Harbor freight has them cheap. Only takes minutes to soften up.
Build a simple square frame. DSCF0024.JPG
Clamp the abs along the bend line and run it back and forth along the bend line so it heats evenly. DSCF0021.JPG

Use a board to gently push down when it's hot enough and clamp in place for a few minutes to cool. DSCF0022.JPG

Have fun! Here's one of two highbankers I built with 1/4"abs. DSCF0029.JPG

davin

May 10, 2011
north idaho
Detector(s) used
whites GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mike, good job and thanks for the idea. where do you get the plastic ?
thanks.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
I am working on a clone of a Bazooka Prospector. I have all the pieces cut out, but am looking for advice about bending the sides. I am using 1/4" ABS. I bought a plastrip heater strip, but after an hour on the abs, it is still not hot enough to get an easy, sharp bend. Without dropping $300 on a real strip heater, what are my other options for making these bends?

Cut your plastic into 3 pcs...for 2 sides, and 1 base. Take 1" x 1" aluminum angle and place on the outside, with the sides on top of the base. Drill and rivet the sides and base. Then a little sealant in the corner and done, good to go!

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Basically I use the same method that Mike(SWWashington) does! I use 3 /16 or smaller ABS sheet and 2 heat guns to speed u[p the process while using my 30 inch sheetmetal break. and I use ABS adhesive to mend any joints. but sawing and riveting the joints to keep the 90 degree bends works fine also. Ive built sluices , flairs , crashboxs and such and I like using it because its cheaper to buy ,lighter than alum. . I also have my TIG and MIG welder to do alum if I want.

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Where do you recommend getting the ABS locally or do you order it online?

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT with about 1/4" of dust on it and can't even remember how t turn it on?!?!?
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I buy all my ABS ans UHMW from a local plastic supplier that is listed in the Yellow Pages of the phone book. also while bending the ABS plastic , if you bend to fast or the plastic isn't hot enough the edge will form small cracks on the outside of the bend. ALL IS NOT LOST when you see this! Just use soma ABS adhesive to lightly fill in the small stress cracks and itll blend right in and be stronger than before! its hard for me to NOT justify Lighter , Cheaper ,and EZ to work with!

mike(swWash)

Feb 6, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad I could help, but now you'll be trying to come up with other ideas for abs. It's fun and versatile to work with.

Leg brackets on the dredge sluice. DSCF0011.JPG

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
hey mo
i just built one and used a heat gun ..kept running it up and down the plastic whilst bending and it worked pretty well

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I solved the ABS bending problem by having our local plastics supplier cut and bend it for me to my specs (one advantage for living in a large city). 5', 2 section stream sluice with Goldhog mats. I can use it full length or as a short one at about 36" (2' of mat and 1' of skid in this configuration). They also cut, bent and glued on a supporting piece for the joint to stiffen it. I figure the extra costs involved offset the potential for my screwing up the bends, etc.

Last edited:

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the thread is using ABS, but I have found HDPE to be a far better product to use. It is very easy to bend and weld. Harbor Freight has the welders for pretty cheap, and fabrication gets really addicting! I also use a 36 inch wide sheet metal bender for parts. fabricated my own pontoons from stock. HDPE is UV stable (in a few colors) and is not affected by fuel and oil (which ABS is).

This one is perfect for $65 Plastic Welding Kit

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
thanks for the heads up on this NEAT TOOL!!! im going to have to buy one now! I currently own 2 of the other type of plastic welding guns , BUT this one is a lot better! one thing ,and the video NEVER mentioned it , when done welding NEVER just shut off the air moveing through this tool UNTILL it has cooled considerably or youll burn it out prematurely! that's why I have 2 of the other hot air plastic welders to make sure, If I burn one up while doing a job , I can get the other one out and finish and fix the other one latter. Ill need to price this HPDE compared to the ABS and its thickness , colors that are availiable.we had one where I used to work before I retired and it was great but real expensive. this also is MUCH faster than using a heat gun in a brake to bend.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread