Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BAZOOKA Fans,

You guys win. I ordered and received my 36 inch Sniper a couple weeks ago. All things considered, it is one of the finest products I have ever purchased. Having been in the Industrial Design trade until retirement, I know about product development. It is hard to hit a home run. Yet this product from concept to execution, is over the top. I have read comments about the price. Well forget it, a better bargain will never, ever be found.

I have a so-called high quality folding sluice. What a pain! I hate the setup - and the clean out is even worse. Talk about bad design and a waste of money. That said, I have never been a fan of trying to properly place a sluice the stream. I hate to see dams being built and big ROCKS used to hold one down.

The Bazooka solves all the problems except the put it in. take it out, then put it back in-the same-place part. Bringing me to the ZOOKA LAUNCH PAD! Shown here, the Launch Pad is constructed of 3/4 dia. aluminum tubes, some marine fittings for Bimini tops, some custom parts made from HDPE (high density polyethylene), a bullet proof plastic widely used in the marine industry. All threaded fittings are 1/4-20 stainless steel. Threaded inserts in the HDPE parts are brass.

You can see that it is three-legged (never have to put a match book under one leg). The rear legs are widely spaced for stability and away from the shovel.

• The rear is supported on two large rubber grommets which slide as needed on the crossbar (underneath sluice).
  • The front is supported by one grommet, also adjustable.
  • The sluice is held in place by a custom HDPE fitting with bungee cord. (vertical tension only, no bending moment on the sides)
  • The sluice is held from moving forward by another adj. fitting which interfaces with a tapered rubber foot attached to the front of the Bazooka (this threaded hole for attachment, is the ONLY thing done to the sluice. The sluice will not move.
  • All legs interface the two bars with adj. height fittings with knobs and brass threaded inserts. The center bar pivots horizontally and vertically on the rear crossbar for challenging stream/bank/bottom conditions.
  • All legs have threaded HDPE fitting to take a variety of leg bottoms to suit bottom and current conditions: 1. Round pads, 2. Threaded 1/4-20 spikes, HDPE fitting with tent stakes.
  • I decided on a leg height which would satisfy most placements and (maybe) highbanking.
  • The sluice detaches from the stand in seconds by lifting the bungee attachment and moving the sluice slightly rearward. Replacement (in the same position!) is just as fast

You may notice that the sluice is firmly attached to the stand for convenient travel without disassembly. Yet quickly breaks down for storage (in the Bazooka box it came in). I am now on my way west to fulfill my prospecting dream, see in the Prospecting Forum. I would love to come to a stream near you.

I am not much at posting skills (first pictures), but perhaps by enlarging you can get the idea. After taking the pictures, I realized that I didn't take one without the sluice! Hard to leave out that Sniper! Best regards to all,

Thurman

DSC05896.JPG DSC05908.JPG DSC05894 (1).JPG DSC05903.JPG DSC05909 (1).JPG DSC05896.JPG DSC05910.JPG DSC05905 (1).JPG DSC05908.JPG DSC05905 (1).JPG DSC05914.JPG

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Very, very nice construction!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW! Great idea; I like the idea of three legs and the clips to hold the bazooka in place. Thank you for sharing the idea and pictures. "I am going to get me one." Or least that is the intention.

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW! Great idea; I like the idea of three legs and the clips to hold the bazooka in place. Thank you for sharing the idea and pictures. "I am going to get me one." Or least that is the intention.

For those of you who did not get the quote, the beginning of the dialogue was, "What's that?" says Pippin. Merry answers, "This my friend is a pint." Pip replies, "It comes in pints?" etc.

It is amazing that many of my cadets have not seen that trilogy nor have they seen "Princess Bride" let alone "Gone with the Wind" or "The Longest Day" just to list a couple more. They don't watch the classics and they certainly do not read the classics these days. Sigh.

Sorry, it's just that my thoughts when I saw that marvelous Bazooka stand were the same as Pip's. And sorry again, but I may have misquoted; Pippin's response may have just been the shorter, "I'm getting one."

Again, a wonderful, versatile stand.

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kevin and Dave,

I really respect your opinions. I recall reading here (in Drywashing, I think), just wait until you start throwing rocks at it all day! In obvious reference to durability and sound design. Well, I have not had the opportunity to test the design yet. I am on the road headed West from FL for just that purpose. I am sure the shortcomings will show up quickly.

As for the classics, I stick to J.D. Salinger. Especially, 9 Stories, Persigs 'Motor Cycle Maintenance, and anything by Thomas McGuane.

I think it has all the qualities one would like in a Zooka Launch Pad, but I really worry about the durability part. I have taken extra parts just in case. And swift water? Kevin talked about nailing his down with rebar once - giving me idea of the tent pegs.

Best regards, Thurman

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thurman, are you going to come thru metro Denver some time soon? Would be fun to meet in person and see your handiwork!

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thurman, are you going to come thru metro Denver some time soon? Would be fun to meet in person and see your handiwork!

I second that; I would love to work with you and Kevin in Denver and see the Zooka Launch Pad in operation. As far as durability, as long as there isn't a torrent in the creek, I would think it would work just great. Of course, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so you need to take some pictures of it in action.

You are heading west from Florida; so if you get close to Colorado let us know. Otherwise, I cannot wait to see it in action.

Thanks again for sharing your ideas.

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave and Kevin,

Current travel plan from FL to Seattle does not include Colorado (in Tulsa now). We will take a Northern tack from here and hump to reach WA in time for a previously planned (family) function. Yet I would give anything to spend some time with you heavy hitters. After Seattle we will head South. I will keep you posted with our itinerary as I know both of you travel frequently. And who knows, Denver may sneak into the mix. Can't wait to throw rocks at the Zooka Launch Pad. Despair if a failure, photos with success!

Best regards, Thurman

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dave and Kevin,

Current travel plan from FL to Seattle does not include Colorado (in Tulsa now). We will take a Northern tack from here and hump to reach WA in time for a previously planned (family) function. Yet I would give anything to spend some time with you heavy hitters. After Seattle we will head South. I will keep you posted with our itinerary as I know both of you travel frequently. And who knows, Denver may sneak into the mix. Can't wait to throw rocks at the Zooka Launch Pad. Despair if a failure, photos with success!

Best regards, Thurman

Well, my friend, please do give a holler if you are coming close. Send me a PM and I'll send you my cell phone number.

BTW, I lived about a dozen years not too far from you, in Leesburg. We had a timeshare condo in Ormond Beach (for those not familiar with Florida, it is just north of Daytona Beach and Thurman is from just south of Daytona Beach). Too bad we did not make contact then; if nothing else we could have done some work on the beach together looking for washed up gold coins (like after Hurricane Charlie).

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thurman,
That is a most intriguing "Launch Pad" you've designed & built, simple, thoughtful and it looks like it should serve you well with lots of adjustability. Looking forward to seeing/hearing about your travels and success. Travel safe!.......................63bkpkr

Duckwalk

Mar 21, 2014
Lincolnton North Carolina
Detector(s) used
30" Bazooka Sniper, Drop Riffle sluice box.
Various Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the lowest position on that? wondering if it works in super low flow. also wondering if you can run it steep and deep on that.

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the lowest position on that? wondering if it works in super low flow. also wondering if you can run it steep and deep on that.

Howdy Duckwalk,

Thanks for your interest. The lowest position would put the bottom of your Bazooka maybe two inches from the surface it is placed on (see photo of one leg all the way down on the patio stone). As the Bazooka would need 3 inches or so of water, this would then require 5 inches of water. At this point, you would need to to pitch the sluice down in slow water. That said, I think the best answer is that the launch pad would require two more inches of water than the sluice without the stand. As for slow water, it would have the same limitations as a Bazooka without the stand. Steep and deep would be no problem, as you would simply adjust leg height for the angle you want.

Remember, I am no expert as I just received the sluice and nothing has touched any water yet. I am in the Seattle area now and in a few days I hope to have a report after throwing some rocks at it on the Skykomish river. I have had a most generous offer to accompany a local T'NETTER to show me the ropes.

Best regards to all, Thurman

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thurman your coming to California aren't you?

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thurman, I am also from Seattle, and a Bazooka operator/lover. If you need directions to somewhere closer to town than the Skykomish is, but that still has some gold, let me know! There are tons of places to get a little of the yellow stuff around here, as close as 20 minutes out of downtown, to all across the state. Your sniper will do very well for you here! BTW, the launch pad is awesome!

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Goldwasher,

Absolutely! coming thru CA on our way to AZ. I just Googled Garden Valley CA. Looks like absolute gold heaven! Occasionally I wonder if I would ever get tired of gold prospecting if I lived in the middle of an area like yours. I thought I would never tire of fishing. Yet, when the gold fever hit fishing took a back seat. I still enjoy fly fishing but it is not the same as in the old days. Any suggestions you may have about your area would be appreciated.

As you know, access to areas with reasonable terrain for us old timers is a rare and precious thing. And they don't come without lots of time with boots on the ground and local knowledge.

Best regards, and continued success with your gold adventures

Thurman

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.m. me when you can. I'll be working a booth at the Sonora gold show all weekend. I might not respond until Sunday or Monday. We will get you on a good spot in the area. I can guide you around for a few days if you wan't. You don't want to miss Coloma.For the history. There is good fishing in the area.
If we had water I'd bring you out to the claim. We have other places though.
We were looking at your stand in the shop and like it a lot. make sure you don't break it before we get to check it out:occasion14:

Shoot me the dates that you plan on being around here...it's hunting season...daughter has cheer on Saturdays sometimes down in Sac. so I want to make sure I can set up time to meet up....there are a few of us locally that will make sure to put you on some Motherlode Gold

OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jesse,

Thanks for your post. Yep, the Sky can be a real drive - and in my limited experience not much color. But that is mainly due to my lack of local knowledge.

I wold love to do some prospecting with you. We have been in town a week or so now and have gotten most of the family obligations out of the way. I don't want to inconvenience you in any way, so just let me know when you might be available and we can work something out. Sure want to get that Bazooka wet.

Best regards, Thurman

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Thurman! I did get your message and I'm excited to get some of that yellow with you! My wife Angela and I went to Portland today to pick up our newest member of the Family, Ms. Surry Bancroft! She is 2 and a rescue Pitbull from Southern California. These beautiful dogs are victim to "bad owners disease" so often. We are happy to have her and she will be mining with me soon!

We should go out the second or third weekend of September. I have a lot of work to catch up on because I just took 2 weeks off. Saturday's are the day of the week I get out when I do if that works for you:)!!

Let me know here or PM what works for you and we will find some gold!

JB

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
T

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jesse,

Fine looking pup, looks like you rescued some real gold! Those dates look fine - or any other time. We will be leaving the 3rd Sat. of Sept. I PM'd my contact info. If there are any spots I should check out before then, give me a call.

Best regards, Thurman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread