jack5734

Dec 2, 2013
CNY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Treasurenet,

I have been considering purchasing an Angus Mackirk sluice for quite awhile. I will be sluicing in the northeast, mostly in the Wild Ammonoosuc River in New Hampshire, but I may be taking occasional trips to North Carolina. I will be working with mainly fine gold in the northeast. I like what people say about the Angus Mackirk sluices' ability to capture very fine gold. I am also looking for a sluice with high production capabilities. And by that I mean I want to be able to just about dump a bucket of material into the sluice. After months of research, I finally narrowed my choices to either an Angus Mackirk Boss II or Great Northern. I emailed Angus Mackirk and was told that the Boss II will process a trowel full of material in about 15 seconds. That's a bit slow for what I am hoping to do. The Great Northern is known for its ability to process massive amounts of material. So, based on fine gold recovery, production capabilities, sluice length regulations, etc., which of these sluices is the one to purchase?

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bazooka would be a lot better for what you have in mind. With the MacKirk, you need to classify and they are not capable of moving a lot of dirt unless it's classified. But MacKirk is a great sluice and does have its purposes, I own 2 myself.

ezrider2

Nov 17, 2014
Fairfax Va
Detector(s) used
Angus MacKirk Recon 2 and Boss 2, Custom made 52" river sluice, pans, Viper vac.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I run my Boss without classifying without any problems and still catch super fine gold(that is mostly what we have here). Just set it up right. You can shovel straight from the bank or river. We had 3 guys on it and it was keeping up, chewing right through the material. I can run my Boss where my friends can't run there Bazookas. Super easy to clean out too.

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I 've had both and sold them believe it or not the best thing that worked for me was a stream sluice with gold hog matts using UR and razorback down through the sluice and no classifying but get a good water flow if possible now bazooka's need really good water flow unless you get the little guys angus mackirks are good for low flow water but have to be patient and mackirk does recommend to classify down to a 1/2" minimum also I'm up here in the state of Maine and I get fine gold too but love the GH matts the ur and razorback and I guess the you can use the new down draft in there too........just my 2 cents worth

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread