does anybody have a good source for 1/4" perforated plate?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure why but up here in north east or maine anyways my local steel shops don't carry this for some reason and for them to order it you got to pay crazy funds to have it so looking for this stuff going try to build a version of a Thomas creek style top runner and will be using gold hog ur matts and razor back and maybe might experiment with down draft too or if there is anybody that has a Thomas creek sluice I would be very interested in purchasing

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not really my area of expertise, but McMaster-Carr probably has whatever you want (or can think of).
They carry a lot of stuff. Also, not sure if they're the cheapest around - I doubt it, but you can look and see for yourself.
I think their claim to fame is more about their extensive inventory, etc... and don't try to compete so much on price. (?)

McMaster-Carr

Be sure to check listings under both "Filtering" and "Raw Materials".

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Foundry sand reclamation equipment/blow pipe builders or service ect. might be a source for very hard steel plate with perforations. I'd just ask for scrap rather than any custom orders or have them think I am looking to spend money.
A plasma cutter could cut to size, and the right welder can piece together if pieces are too small.
Or a place that builds classifying vibratory equipment..not sure if bakeries use any.
Scrap metal yards could be asked if any shows up.

coolfinie

Oct 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@vaquero44
I am also making a TR style sluice. I am working on the assumption that the water flow in the under the classifier section is a reduced flow rate. So in that case it might be difficult to get sufficient flow to make the Gold Hog mats active. If you use a mat which requires high flow then the mats may clog with black sands. Based on the photos Andy used miners moss and expanded steel which could be expected to work well with a lower flow.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey guys thank you for your sources and coolfinnie the matts that I mentioned are for to use in stream sluice conditions or lower flow rates that still exchange material such as the razorback but I have a plan to make for lower water conditions, do the traditional expanded metal and carpet but I'd like to hear your idea's just the same I just ever since GH matts came on the scene carpets and riffles are a pain but like anything test test test and more tests! as much as I love motorized dredging and high banking going back to simple ways and way less equipment unless you got 3 guys lugging and helping which never happens with me the guys I usually hang with are metal detectorists and gold prospecting to them is effort for not enough in it to bother with

coolfinie

Oct 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Vaquero44
You're looking at the Thomas Creek Toprunner style sluice for putting the perforated over the catch medium, and creation of self classifying feature in the sluice.
Which sets up an alternative for fluid beds possibly with some advantages and some disadvantages depending upon circumstances.

As it happens the TopRunner appears to my eyes to be an innovative improvement upon a previous sluice called the DamnFineSluice for which the website is gone but an archived version remains here : http://web.archive.org/web/20030803093305fw_/http://home.att.net/~ajsmiles21/
This sluice was supposed to be extremely good at retaining very small gold down to flour size, sub #200 mesh, and I think Andy Scheurer was aiming for similar results with self classification added in his TopRunner II design. http://thomascreek.net/ (I haven't tried other of these yet myself)

The questions are: how well can a modern fluid bed compare to a TopRunner when the available gold is extremely small? When water conditions are getting a bit low and the gold is small-to-flour size, does the fluid bed's strong points fade slightly compared to eg a TopRunner type? Also: did the TopRunner achieve the performance of the DamnFineSluice for flour gold in the first place?

I plan to make a couple of test sluices to work this out for myself because I don't see all that many beach or sand sluicers talking about their Bazooka, despite what the fluid bed fans say about how good it is. As far as I can see the king of sand (which is the ultimate pre-classified size gangue material) and flour gold still seems to be something between a PopAndSon lengthy expanded metal+carpet sluice, a shaker table, or a Gold Cube.

In the time before I actually do my own comparisons I have at the design stage a preference for wire mesh over finer size perforated steel as the smallest gold appears to be able to go round the neater round holes in some kind of a surface tension avoidance fashion. Also the lack of water down there at the start (top) of the under sluice may not clear black sand as well as required and push the flour downstream some, but wire will get water in better. Thirdly there's an argument for having flour drop a very very short vertical distance to the catching medium because the current is taking it away to a much greater degree than say #100+ mesh gold.

Now all the while there is the possibility that a tuned fluid bed may be catching a high percentage of sub #100 gold, but the presence of flour gold in the cleanup does not mean that a % of flour gold was not lost out the back. So I suspect the beach guys have figured their game out and don't use Bazookas for good cause.

But fluid beds have distinct advantages. I still want to sluice as unclassified a material grade as I can get away with! However there seems to be no reason why a trap for superfines might not be located under a fine classification mesh and within the slick plate's middle area in a bazooka type design. (Look at Andy Scheurer's TopRunner 1 where he had a fine mesh then more slick plate, then another grizzly) http://thomascreek.net/?page_id=428
A middle fines catchment prior to the main "baxooka" grizzly could be cleaned with the sluice in situ easily if a small plywood board is placed over the slick plate water intake shutting off the flow temporarily, after which the classifier is lifted the moss removed and dunked and subsequently replaced. Remove sluice gate plywood and ready for action again. Meanwhile flour gold losses from the first catchment upon their escape will move down into the fluid bed for second attempt at recovery.

Likewise but differently, a TopRunner style sluice could have a fluid bed located at it's downstream end for entrapment of whatever drifts across an upper trap area due to black sand clogging or unexpected water flow surge causes. You could say I'm interested in hybrids of the main versions because I can make my own and I suspect the more different entrapment media used the more overall strengths the total performance of the sluice will have.

Just some thoughts while I'm at the making up the drawings stage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please coolfinnie I would be highly intrigued to see your proto types i'll even trade you a brand new high banker for a simaler build I would like to learn your knowledge on this concept of sluice

coolfinie

Oct 4, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
please coolfinnie I would be highly intrigued to see your proto types i'll even trade you a brand new high banker for a simaler build I would like to learn your knowledge on this concept of sluice

I'll post some recent drawings during the coming week, and follow up with pics when the next one is done. I'd be curious to hear your thoughts and critiques.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok sounds like a deal!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread