Gold Hog Washer mats and Gold Cube

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
That would be great; I wished you were close enough to do that. I have been curious about the cleangold system. You have mentioned it before with beach sands.

Wow! 4 Tbs--that is what I would love to get, but probably won't get even close. Have you ever posted a picture of the cleangold system loaded with -100 mesh? I would love to see it.

Thanks for the offer, but as you noted, it is really a long way.

LOL... yeah about 18 hours from here.... Central Oregon coast.

Here are some pics form some beach sluicing.

These are the cleanup results after about 4 buckets of beach sand. I have a frame and spray bar setup for the cleanup.

2015-04-19 16.53.13.jpg 2015-04-22 17.37.03.jpg 2015-05-05 17.26.39.jpg 2015-05-05 16.51.52.jpg

These are the setup in the creek and some pics of the beach sands I deal with..... And of course my trusty gorilla cart, it hauls more than I can pull....:laughing7:

2015-03-21 11.13.50.jpg 2015-03-08 13.28.40.jpg 2015-03-08 13.34.20.jpg 2015-03-08 13.34.36.jpg 2015-03-08 14.08.31.jpg 2015-03-21 11.14.12.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
After running all of your buckets you will still have about 1/2 to 1 cup of cons...... It's just that the gold will displace the lighter cons and so you should simply have more gold and less cons at the end of the run.

If they are all classified to the same degree, what difference does it make where the stuff is from..... Remember the golden rule. If everything in you cons is the same size..... GOLD RULES.

[snip] I meant the amount of black sand varies depending on where the stuff is from; the gold content also varies....

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, since I just got the Gold Cube, I have not yet run that much additional material. So far I ran a 5-gal bucket and panned out each section to see what I got. I like that you said the amount of cons won't continue to increase linearly. I can understand that because there should be an active exchange going on. I'll give it a try and we shall see.

Would love to help you run it all just to see how it works out for you :)

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey KC...
You guys are what, a couple hours apart?
If that was all the farther I was, heck I'd be there next weekend.....:coffee2: cup a joe and watch the material run.....:thumbsup:
Anyway I reckon you guys will get it all figured out, I am anxious to see the results.
I can run that super fine black sand laden material with no real problem .... Other than it just doesn't have the gold content I would like to see.
But for me it is more of something to do to keep these old bones moving than anything else...... all that misspent youth is catching up with me....:laughing7:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
[snip] I meant the amount of black sand varies depending on where the stuff is from; the gold content also varies....

Again, that won't really make any difference since what you want is to get those buckets cleaned up and the gold into vial.
Just get everything classified to the same size that the cube will handle, run it all then do your final clean up with the process in the art of gold panning.
You will be able to skip several of the screens since you will already have gone through several and probably be at the 50 mesh +/-.

anyway, geterdone...... I'm dying to see what ya got .......:laughing7:

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Would love to help you run it all just to see how it works out for you :)

Would love to have you help! My problem is that this is Mid-Terms week; I may not get all the grading done and into the computer for Mid-Term grades unless I grade this weekend. I hope to not have to do that, but I am on a personnel hiring committee and we have two candidates coming this week for on-campus interviews and so I haven't got much spare time.

Kevin, I will call you and talk about getting this done. :)

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey KC...
You guys are what, a couple hours apart?
If that was all the farther I was, heck I'd be there next weekend.....:coffee2: cup a joe and watch the material run.....:thumbsup:
Anyway I reckon you guys will get it all figured out, I am anxious to see the results.
I can run that super fine black sand laden material with no real problem .... Other than it just doesn't have the gold content I would like to see.
But for me it is more of something to do to keep these old bones moving than anything else...... all that misspent youth is catching up with me....:laughing7:

Actually, depending on traffic, maybe 40-45 minutes. KevinInColorado is in the south end of the Denver area and I am in north Colorado Springs.

It would be neat to have you here and show us how that Cleangold works with very fine cons. Your pictures were quite interesting; was that 4 five gal buckets you ran? If so, you are correct, not a lot of gold in it. But there is gold and some folks I know would love to be able to just run that. Heck, I spent a dozen years in central Florida with no gold. The closest was in north Georgia. I had a couple of trips planned but something always got in the way. I am glad to be back in Colorado. :)

And I know about old bones and misspent youth catching up! I swear, high school football left me with bad ankles and knees. Sure wish the joints were all in better shape now. :(

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL.... yeah pretty skimpy returns but the beaches are so changeable you never know when you will hit a nice little streak.
I did not move much sand last spring, it was kind of a shake down cruise of getting used to the system and the area. I do intend on hitting that area harder this year once the ocean has done some cleanup of the beach for me... It looks nothing like it did last spring.
Now........ 2015-09-25 13.34.02.jpg 2015-09-25 13.49.14.jpg
Then....... 2015-03-08 13.41.36.jpg 2015-03-08 13.34.36.jpg

All those beautiful concentrated areas of black, red, and green sands are all drifted over with blond sands with black sands covering those.
So you can see why I don't get too stressed about getting a lot of gold. Just want to keep the bones moving.

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Wish I lived closer, I would bring my cleangold system by and show you how to run that stuff through the system.
5 or 6, 5 gal buckets we could finish in a about an hour with no stress. you would then have about 4 tablespoons of cons to finish pan.

Be very carefull when discussing the "Clean Gold" sluice!!! years back on the now gone site 49erMike.com , this system was discussed and the owner of Clean Gold got ahold of Mike and threatened him with a lawsuit if he didn't IMMEDIATLY cease and dissist with any conversation or pictures of this sluice! Mike posted and locked the thread! and finnaly pulled the thread completely! don't let this happen here!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I lived closer, I would bring my cleangold system by and show you how to run that stuff through the system.
5 or 6, 5 gal buckets we could finish in a about an hour with no stress. you would then have about 4 tablespoons of cons to finish pan.

Be very carefull when discussing the "Clean Gold" sluice!!! years back on the now gone site 49erMike.com , this system was discussed and the owner of Clean Gold got ahold of Mike and threatened him with a lawsuit if he didn't IMMEDIATLY cease and dissist with any conversation or pictures of this sluice! Mike posted and locked the thread! and finnaly pulled the thread completely! don't let this happen here!

I forget Russ is it still being produced? Why wouldn't he want it talked about?

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Cleangold is still being produced, And yes the inventor is still really tight lipped about how to actually use the system.

Makes no sense to me, seems like letting it out would actually increase sales.... Sure there would be copies being built and probably improved upon, I mean look at what is happening with the fluid bed sluices, all kinds of people building their own with their own little modifications.

I have posted pictures but I haven't gone into the actual technique for obvious reasons. It is a bit aggravating to say the least.

There are some vids on youtube, and the fossicker has some videos on his site as well. Watch them and you can get a pretty good ideal how things work....... But don't discuss details on the forum......:dontknow:

Oh well..... All I can say is that it does work and does a very good job in the area it was intended to be used, which in my case is piddling around on the beach going for the super fine gold in heavy magnetic black sands.... I really wish I would have had this thing when I lived in Nome in the early 80's.

I hope the inventor sees the value in transparency in the future.

Happy diggin........

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's the patent: Patent US5927508 - Method and apparatus for recovering fine gold from low grade ores - Google Patents which is public information. I am amazed they got a patent for the simple idea of putting magnets on the underside of a sluice :P

Your comment reminds me of a video I saw some time ago.

and how to build

Similar in that they both use magnets, different though. These videos from the same guy, Mr Teslonian, usedREE magnets not a sheet of polymer with magnetized areas.

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's the patent: Patent US5927508 - Method and apparatus for recovering fine gold from low grade ores - Google Patents which is public information. I am amazed they got a patent for the simple idea of putting magnets on the underside of a sluice :P

If I remember right it only requires a 10% change in design to patent the new idea of something that exists under patent......

Patents are in some ways a real joke, There are those that make little changes in an item, then file and market the hell out of the new improved model. All the real work was done by the original inventor and some johnny come lately does this.

Crazy world we live in sometimes.......:tongue3:

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is your gold the same size as the black sand? if not you should classify a bit more otherwise larger particles of black sand will just displace the smaller, yet denser, gold particles. I'd also try slowing your flow and increasing the slope, bubbles are not your friend in this case. I didn't see a mention of it, but you are using some jet dry I trust?

goldog

Sep 25, 2012
Tujunga, CA
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap, A-51, Gold Pan
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Patents are in some ways a real joke, There are those that make little changes in an item, then file and market the hell out of the new improved model. All the real work was done by the original inventor and some johnny come lately does this.

Crazy world we live in sometimes.......:tongue3:

All the real work is selling. A great idea is worth squat. Making it can be a challenge to. But sales ... That's hard.

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is your gold the same size as the black sand? if not you should classify a bit more otherwise larger particles of black sand will just displace the smaller, yet denser, gold particles. I'd also try slowing your flow and increasing the slope, bubbles are not your friend in this case. I didn't see a mention of it, but you are using some jet dry I trust?

Yes, I am using Jet Dry. The material I was running through the Gold Hog Washer Mats was classified to 4 mesh and when it was not working like I though, to about 10 mesh. Most of the gold and black sand is smaller than that, but according to Gold Hog, it shouldn't matter; they were getting very good concentration on the mats with about 1/4 inch classification, as I remember.

As far as the Gold Cube, no bubbles there. In the Gold Hog, there was turbulence more than there were bubbles. Jet Dry in both. I will try decreasing flow and increasing the slope. I played with those some, but Doc liked 1100 gph for 10" wide sluice and about 11 degree slope. I decreased slope and increased water some. I increased water and cut back on water some. But I stayed close to their recommendations. Maybe I should try outside their parameters more.

Thanks for the comments.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I am using Jet Dry. The material I was running through the Gold Hog Washer Mats was classified to 4 mesh and when it was not working like I though, to about 10 mesh. Most of the gold and black sand is smaller than that, but according to Gold Hog, it shouldn't matter; they were getting very good concentration on the mats with about 1/4 inch classification, as I remember.

As far as the Gold Cube, no bubbles there. In the Gold Hog, there was turbulence more than there were bubbles. Jet Dry in both. I will try decreasing flow and increasing the slope. I played with those some, but Doc liked 1100 gph for 10" wide sluice and about 11 degree slope. I decreased slope and increased water some. I increased water and cut back on water some. But I stayed close to their recommendations. Maybe I should try outside their parameters more.

Thanks for the comments.

Hey Dave....
gold hog has put a lot of time and study into the performance of their mats. Instead of reinventing the wheel use the parameters they suggest.
If you are going to make any changes I would concentrate on the classification of your cons. I think that would be time better spent.

What is the largest gold size you have in your cons?
If it is 50- and smaller why are you running #4 mesh..... Remember the golden rule. if everything in you pan or sluice is the same size.... GOLD RULES.

Just my 2 penny weight....:laughing7:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread