Gold Hog Washer mats and Gold Cube

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I am using Jet Dry. The material I was running through the Gold Hog Washer Mats was classified to 4 mesh and when it was not working like I though, to about 10 mesh. Most of the gold and black sand is smaller than that, but according to Gold Hog, it shouldn't matter; they were getting very good concentration on the mats with about 1/4 inch classification, as I remember.

As far as the Gold Cube, no bubbles there. In the Gold Hog, there was turbulence more than there were bubbles. Jet Dry in both. I will try decreasing flow and increasing the slope. I played with those some, but Doc liked 1100 gph for 10" wide sluice and about 11 degree slope. I decreased slope and increased water some. I increased water and cut back on water some. But I stayed close to their recommendations. Maybe I should try outside their parameters more.

Thanks for the comments.
Less slope gets you more depth over your matts, creating less turbulence....Classification is important. If your running cons its a little more finicky. If your using a sluice to concentrate material you don't need to classify quite so much...But you may have to rerun some tailings until you get it dialed in.

Hog matts love FAST water...speed and volume aren't the same. Keep in mind that 1100 gph bilge most likely isn't getting you an actual 1100gph. For a 10" wide box I just don't think its enough. The nice thing about G.H. is different matts in series allow you do get away with less classification. You do need enough speed to get the matts active. That will allow them to exchange properly.Try to have lower profile matts in the head of your run...U.R...bedrock...downdraft....maybe a scrubber. Don't put anything aggressive until the end... Talon, razorback. To avoid boiling fine gold into the laminar flow. Gold hog work very similar to drop riffles. They prevent scouring and boiling compared to Hungarian or slant dredge riffles... They protect and HOLD the gold that drops out of your slurry or cons. It does allow you a lot of tuning with less volume of water vs. traditional set ups...I prefer to have more power than needed so I can throttle up until I see the action I want. opposed to dropping the end of your sluice to create speed!!...IMHO

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if your matt set is pre glued btw...set at the factory if you will...If so I would definitely get a larger pump and try tuning from there.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Less slope gets you more depth over your matts, creating less turbulence....Classification is important. If your running cons its a little more finicky. If your using a sluice to concentrate material you don't need to classify quite so much...But you may have to rerun some tailings until you get it dialed in.

Hog matts love FAST water...speed and volume aren't the same. Keep in mind that 1100 gph bilge most likely isn't getting you an actual 1100gph. For a 10" wide box I just don't think its enough. The nice thing about G.H. is different matts in series allow you do get away with less classification. You do need enough speed to get the matts active. That will allow them to exchange properly.Try to have lower profile matts in the head of your run...U.R...bedrock...downdraft....maybe a scrubber. Don't put anything aggressive until the end... Talon, razorback. To avoid boiling fine gold into the laminar flow. Gold hog work very similar to drop riffles. They prevent scouring and boiling compared to Hungarian or slant dredge riffles... They protect and HOLD the gold that drops out of your slurry or cons. It does allow you a lot of tuning with less volume of water vs. traditional set ups...I prefer to have more power than needed so I can throttle up until I see the action I want. opposed to dropping the end of your sluice to create speed!!...IMHO

This sounds like fun experimentation. However it would be quicker, simpler and more sure to just run it all thru your Gold Cube. No fiddle, no fuss and 1.5 cups of cons to pan out.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
This sounds like fun experimentation. However it would be quicker, simpler and more sure to just run it all thru your Gold Cube. No fiddle, no fuss and 1.5 cups of cons to pan out.

Speaking of fun...... I would love to set up a cleangold at the end of your zook and see if I could catch anything. It would be an easy setup just have to classify to 1/4 minus since that is about the largest that can be effectively run over a CG.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel like if you have both and a lot of cons then.....1/2 classification into a fast hog wash....then those cons with maybe a 1/8 classification just to get the wayward lazy pebble out...and a cube run would be quick and efficient...

I don't own either for clean up..(hogs in my power sluice for production) .... 3 gallons of cons a 10 mesh...50...and 100... a blue bowl a tub and a pan....takes me about two beers and I'm pretty damn happy about that.:occasion14:

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Speaking of fun...... I would love to set up a cleangold at the end of your zook and see if I could catch anything. It would be an easy setup just have to classify to 1/4 minus since that is about the largest that can be effectively run over a CG.

I would love to do that. We do know the Bazooka lower limit of what it catches is less than 100 mesh but seems to be bigger than 200. Wonder if I can find someone here in CO that has one...unless you have plans to come visit Denver :)

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would love to do that. We do know the Bazooka lower limit of what it catches is less than 100 mesh but seems to be bigger than 200. Wonder if I can find someone here in CO that has one...unless you have plans to come visit Denver :)

I would really enjoy getting to Denver to met you and do this experiment but I just don't see any travel plans in the immediate future, especially with winter knockin at the door. I am really used to this mild coastal climate....:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

You know, I think you are correct. I'll bet my problem was the pump wasn't doing 1100 gph; hence it was not exchanging very effectively. I will try that vs dropping the angle of the sluice even more. Thanks, GW!

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would really enjoy getting to Denver to met you and do this experiment but I just don't see any travel plans in the immediate future, especially with winter knockin at the door. I am really used to this mild coastal climate....:laughing7:

I understand about the coastal mild climate. My wife hates cold, especially since we came here from Florida (of course we had been here twice before).

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Dave....
gold hog has put a lot of time and study into the performance of their mats. Instead of reinventing the wheel use the parameters they suggest.
If you are going to make any changes I would concentrate on the classification of your cons. I think that would be time better spent.

What is the largest gold size you have in your cons?
If it is 50- and smaller why are you running #4 mesh..... Remember the golden rule. if everything in you pan or sluice is the same size.... GOLD RULES.

Just my 2 penny weight....:laughing7:

Yes, that was why I basically stayed close to their recommended parameters. I think Goldwasher probably hit the nail on the head, it is that my pump was likely not doing 1100 gph. I have other pumps, so I am going to change it out.

The largest is likely +20 mesh or so for the most part, but the smallest is -100.

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know if your matt set is pre glued btw...set at the factory if you will...If so I would definitely get a larger pump and try tuning from there.

No, they are not pre-glued. I cut them, glued them and taped them. I don't think I have seen Washer Mats offered as pre-glued.

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

True, but I would still like to get these Washer Mats dialed in. If I can get them to work they way they should, I noticed Doc from Gold Hog had a Washer Mat set up where the tailings from the Washer Mats went straight into a Gold Cube. :)

Actually, I was thinking of doing the reverse. Take the Gold Cube cons and feed them into the dialed in Washer Mats which should give almost pure specs of gold with very little anything else. Then pan.

And take the Gold Cube tailings and re-run them through the Gold Cube, just in case.

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I would love to see that also. We know the Bazooka is pretty good up to the +100, and while catching stuff much smaller, likely not 100% of it. Letting the tailings go through a Clean Gold would be a great experiment. Of course, if we classify first, we just might catch a tad more fine gold; AMP_kbell thinks we might. And he might be correct. The question is how much more gold do we get for that classification. Like I said, it would be a very neat experiment to do.

You mentioned not travelling in another post, but Kevin will be retiring soon, so he might just get out that way. If he does, I know he will be taking one or more Bazookas in the big truck he plans to buy. So, the experiment might end up being done out there. :) If not, if you are ever to Colorado, bring that Clean Gold machine; both Kevin and I would be delighted to let you put it behind our 'zooks.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, that was why I basically stayed close to their recommended parameters. I think Goldwasher probably hit the nail on the head, it is that my pump was likely not doing 1100 gph. I have other pumps, so I am going to change it out.

The largest is likely +20 mesh or so for the most part, but the smallest is -100.
Nothing wrong with ADDING a pump vs. switching out:thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yep, already done that. I had an 1100 gph pump I gave to a friend; I had a 750 gph and 500 gph and so that I used for the Washer Mats, thinking that is 1250. But running them off the same battery probably meant they were not getting enough amps and therefore not really pumping at their rated amounts. Plus both pumps were somewhat older. I got an 1100 gph pump with the Gold Cube and I already had a 2000 gph. I will try the 1100 and then if it doesn't make the Washer Mats work correctly, I will use the 2000 gph pump with a "Y" see what happens.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
R u running at home? Or taking it with you out in the field

OP
OP
G

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
R u running at home? Or taking it with you out in the field

At home; I use a Bazooka in the field unless low water won't allow it. Then I use a LeTrap.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use a battery charger... I run off the battery but also have the charger on it acts like a voltage regulator and you will have all the amps you need !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread