Has anyone built a dry sluice box using a bass speaker at low frequencies?

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sure...it's possible. But, calculate the weight of material, plus the weight of the empty sluice, and then figure out how much power (volume) it would require to cause the material to fluidize. If it doesn't fluidize, the heavies don't settle.
Jim

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure...it's possible. But, calculate the weight of material, plus the weight of the empty sluice, and then figure out how much power (volume) it would require to cause the material to fluidize. If it doesn't fluidize, the heavies don't settle.
Jim

I'm sure it's been tried. My dad mentioned gold rises at a certain frequency in a speaker cone.
Sounds like a fun project to experiment with. Less moving parts & those thump/plastic cone speakers are tough.
You could sluice to a rap beat!!!

Actually the speaker would be more of a transducer.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm sure it's been tried. My dad mentioned gold rises at a certain frequency in a speaker cone..
That would depend on the angle of the cone, the shape of the gold, and the type of surrounding material....lots and lots of variables.
Jim

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good way to burn out a perfectly good speaker!

I have seena light wind load a 15" driver to the point that it will burn the voice coil. Any time a motor stalls it draws incredible current.

<--FOH audio engineer and pro audio rental company.

Good in theory, but bad in practice. Try a rotory motor vibrator and speed control.

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Entirely plausible recovery method, I plan to mess around with it a bit when I get time. You dont need to have material IN the cone to benefit from acoustic separation... remember sound waves travel through mediums, like your sluice box and the material in it. The real question is will you require low frequency tones or not, if you do it could be tough to keep up with power requirements.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought of something...

Might try a thumper. It's a driver that mounts to a drum stool and vibrates the stool so the drummer can feel the thump of the kick drum. Hooks up to a standard audio power amp. You wouldn't be able to load it down like a cone, and also wouldn't have high audio levels to deal with.

This is clamp-on version. Other ones may bolt or screw on.
Pearl Throne Thumper | Musician's Friend

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Entirely plausible recovery method, I plan to mess around with it a bit when I get time. You dont need to have material IN the cone to benefit from acoustic separation... remember sound waves travel through mediums, like your sluice box and the material in it. The real question is will you require low frequency tones or not, if you do it could be tough to keep up with power requirements.

Thats what I had in mind, bolting it underneath. My dad mentioned the cone only to show gold goes uphill at a certain freq.

OP
OP
Carl995

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Might try a thumper. It's a driver that mounts to a drum stool and vibrates the stool so the drummer can feel the thump of the kick drum. Hooks up to a standard audio power amp. You wouldn't be able to load it down like a cone, and also wouldn't have high audio levels to deal with.

Never heard of a thumper, I have 2 Roland drum sets.

Adventure_Time

May 31, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sticking a home audio 50 watt transducer on your sluice box would be a lot more effective / cheaper.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions