Gold Hog will have there version of stream sluice out in December!

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would use either depending on situation....if I had flow it would be bazooka. I use gold hog in my power sluice and in claim sluices.. I have a folding sluice I got for free that is pretty much a joke as far as I'm concerned but I may try to set it up as a portable legged sluice. I just hate where it folds so maybe I can make the legs stabilize it a bit.
even running a sluice like doc was and shoveling in as fast as it looked...I feel I would want a punch plate at some point..and some form of nugget trap....it is amazing what some larger pickers can do once they get moving in a box.
I do see the hog sluice as a great gravel bar, flood gold sluice as you can set it up close to the bar in the current and shovel away.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well like we have said depending on the occasion in very low water conditions I think I'd try it against the mackirk but good water flow gold hog all the way ......it would be cool to see in the real good water flow conditions to see the matts against the bazooka or vice versa but in reality there will be always pro's and cons to every product

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I would use either depending on situation....if I had flow it would be bazooka. I use gold hog in my power sluice and in claim sluices.. I have a folding sluice I got for free that is pretty much a joke as far as I'm concerned but I may try to set it up as a portable legged sluice. I just hate where it folds so maybe I can make the legs stabilize it a bit.
even running a sluice like doc was and shoveling in as fast as it looked...I feel I would want a punch plate at some point..and some form of nugget trap....it is amazing what some larger pickers can do once they get moving in a box.
I do see the hog sluice as a great gravel bar, flood gold sluice as you can set it up close to the bar in the current and shovel away.

The last part--I do that now with my Bazooka! :)

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doc just launched this website for his new sluice today. Gold Stream SluiceGold Stream Sluice | Placer Gold Stream Sluice

If you are considering converting your sluice to goldhog mats check this site to see what mat configurations Doc uses and obviously endorses. I'm thinking that they pretty much apply to highbanker configurations too except for directly under the grizzly.

Last edited:

triple d

Nov 17, 2013
Central N.H
Detector(s) used
36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, And related gold prospecting equipment
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Both the Bazooka"s and the hog mats need higher flow. There are a few of the hog mats that work with a lower flow. I use a stream sluice with hog mats for a clean up sluice. Hooked to a 1800 gph pump. And it works great. It will catch the fine flour gold. It use to be my stream sluice. Until I bought two Bazooka sluices. The bazooka sluices are so much easier. And catch way more gold. But starting out and you already have a stream sluice. For 30 or 40 more bucks. You could get the hog mats. But you will need to classify. But for a investment go with a bazooka. I think you will be happy you did.

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Yep somebody should have thought about "that" picture BEFORE it got to the add!! but I do like them pre-assembling the matts! Im planning on buying more Gold Hog matting for a new project im working on now! itll be good theropy for me while im nursing my new knee!

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been searching a lot of sluices , almost bought a keene A52 , but I'm going to spring for the gold hog , and maybe a smaller bazooka for testing new areas . I like the idea of not having to classify .

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been searching a lot of sluices , almost bought a keene A52 , but I'm going to spring for the gold hog , and maybe a smaller bazooka for testing new areas . I like the idea of not having to classify .

I used a Bazooka Supermini in a tiny stream in NW MA on one of my visits last year and it worked great!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1452744705.477064.jpg ...from that day!

PurpleGold

Apr 17, 2015
Superior, Colorado
Detector(s) used
30" Sniper Bazooka Gold Trap, X-Stream Hybrid Pro hand dredge, Royal Manufacturing 54" Powered Stream Sluice, Pans of all different sizes and shapes
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have not tried the Gold Hog matting but I can see that it is a valid evolutionary step to the raised riffle sluice designs. I am a long time raised riffle sluice user and I can just see that the Gold Hog matts would work well in some applications. In my opinion the Bazooka Gold Trap and the fluid bed sluice design is an evolutionary leap in sluice design. With raised riffle sluices you will always need to classify and always need to clean out. The way the BGT answers both of these issues it pretty much makes raised riffle stream sluices obsolete. At this point raised riffle sluices still have their valid applications in dredging and highbanking but maybe not for long... Sorry Doc

GoldpannerDave

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2014
Colorado Springs, CO
Detector(s) used
Bazooka 48" Miner and 30" Sniper, Le Trap, Wolf Trap, A52, 2" dredge, Miller tables, Blue Bowl, wheel, Falcon MD20, old White's detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That would depend on water conditions. Especially if water conditions are low. If you don't have to classifiy with gold hog like in the video, and if they hold on to the super fine gold as good as everyone who has them claims they do. Then yes I might run gold hog over bgt. Would be hard decision though I have loved running my bgt. Went out last Sunday water levels were really low, knew I would be building a dam to get water levels high enough to flow correct, but using Keene instead ? No way! Dam building way quicker then classifying. But if I had gold hog and knew water was low there is a good chance it would be in my truck instead of bgt.
My brother in law just got interested in prospecting also. Thinking my Keene would be good Christmas gift for him. Also would give me excuse to try goldhog sluice : )

But will Gold Hog do well in low water--I thought they liked fast water. At least my GH mats in my recirc want fast water and a fairly nice angle.

OP
OP
V

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you watch the vid that doc demonstrates the sluice about half way through it doc shows a worse case scenario in low flow situations and he does say if that does happen it might be better to get a power head of some sort and run it steed and not deep you want to have the water ripping right across those matts but those who are truly interested check out docs vid also they a new mini high banker they just come out with right now new design in the hopper and now has true grizzly bars

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to say , the Gold Hog sluice looks amazing , I can't wait to use it .

lchavezmisc

Jan 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had running water, or any water, where we prospect in AZ. I'm running the gold hog mats with a trommel on a recirc system and have been very happy with the results.

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok so here is my 2 cents regarding this new wonderchild of a sluice.
Question1: What is so special about this sluice box other than the little dropped angle on the flare that holds the mat? Absolutely nothing. A box is a box no matter who makes it.
Its all about the matting.And i really like the GH mats ,don't get me wrong.
So if you already have a sluice with GH mats you basically have the same thing ,legs optional.
Question 2: In previous videos the Doc says you should classify to at least 1/2 inch with their mats because the bigger rocks could bounce around and loosen the gold and cause it to wash out the sluice.
Why is it all over sudden ok to throw in bigger rocks (3-4 inches ) and expect a different result? Is it because they want to sell you their "awesome" sluice? rocks behave the same no matter who builds the box.
Another point is , that their sluice has 7 mats put together which makes it a 42 inch sluice (7x 6") which makes it bulky and illegal in same states. New Hampshire has a 30 inch limit.
Just my 2 cents like i said.
After seeing My mining partners (David) Bazooka in action i'm planning on building a Bazooka myself for about 10 % of the cost of the GH sluice.

Last edited:

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so here is my 2 cents regarding this new wonderchild of a sluice.
Question1: What is so special about this sluice box other than the little dropped angle on the flare that holds the mat? Absolutely nothing. A box is a box no matter who makes it.
Its all about the matting.And i really like the GH mats ,don't get me wrong.
So if you already have a sluice with GH mats you basically have the same thing ,legs optional.
Question 2: In previous videos the Doc says you should classify to at least 1/2 inch with their mats because the bigger rocks could bounce around and loosen the gold and cause it to wash out the sluice.
Why is it all over sudden ok to throw in bigger rocks (3-4 inches ) and expect a different result? Is it because they want to sell you their "awesome" sluice? rocks behave the same no matter who builds the box.
Another point is , that their sluice has 7 mats put together which makes it a 42 inch sluice (7x 6") which makes it bulky and illegal in same states. New Hampshire has a 30 inch limit.
Just my 2 cents like i said.
After seeing My mining partners (David) Bazooka in action i'm planning on building a Bazooka myself for about 10 % of the cost of the GH sluice.

If you read the laws and check things out , you will find there is a 36" sluice maximum in the WMNF . That's if they will let you use them at all . From what i've read throught the dredging permit you are also allowed up to a 10 SQFT sluice , they are vage at best , but read the actual permit application and it spells it out pretty clearly . JMHO The biggest reason I bought a Gold Hog , Is that I did'nt have ant sluice at the time . It's not to hard to figure out if you like the design of the mats and you get 2 different mats and legs with the sluice , it's rally a no brainer . I was lucky to pick up a Bazooka Off of ebay cheap with 12.00 shiping , again a no brainer for me . No disrespect , I'm just keeping options open , as a noob , I want to give myself the best chance I can to find Gold . My past injuries do limit me some so if I can take advatage to save some on my body , I'm going to . Again JMHO . Again no disrepect .

Last edited:

WesternMassGold

Dec 20, 2013
Westfield,Ma
Detector(s) used
Garret super sluice pan,Modified Royal folding sluice w/ Goldhog mats
Grizzly Gold Trap Explorer Sluice,Falcon MD 20 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I didnt want to insult anyone or discourage them from buying a GH sluice.It wasn't a personal attack on you or anybody else.
All i was trying to point out is, that before you spend a small fortune on a sluice, check what you already have and it might be the same thing or similar.
And i was only pointing out a few things to make people think instead of blindly following a salespitch. And you were right > sluice size is 36 inches in NH. the 10 square feet rule applies to Maine.
Sorry if i offended you , wasn't supposed to come out like that. Happy Mining .

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt want to insult anyone or discourage them from buying a GH sluice.It wasn't a personal attack on you or anybody else.
All i was trying to point out is, that before you spend a small fortune on a sluice, check what you already have and it might be the same thing or similar.
And i was only pointing out a few things to make people think instead of blindly following a salespitch. And you were right > sluice size is 36 inches in NH. the 10 square feet rule applies to Maine.
Sorry if i offended you , wasn't supposed to come out like that. Happy Mining .

No Harm no Foul , my post was'nt intended to make you feel like you affended anyone . I was just stating , as a noob that the Gold Hog was a good choice for me personally . Hopefully we may get together in NH at some point , or some where else if you chose so I can learn something . All Is good my friend , just my opinion on the research I did before my purchase .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread