Shine

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Home made drop riffle, 'zook' mini prospector, 'zook' sniper
Primary Interest:
Other
went out to the same spot i have hit 4 times previous..cleaned out 2 crevices in the creek and finished off one i started last week. whilst panning down the second zook cleanout the big guy appeared and with the third cleanout the odd shaped flake appeared...maybe that bodes well for the cons i have to run during the week plus i still have a zook cleanout i just dumped into my spare bucket

Attachments

• 1446188192375.jpg
    1446188192375.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 165
OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
cleaned out the spare bucket and picked up 2 more little pickers...this creek is looking better as i slowly move upstream even though im moving away from the mineralised area...its also interesting to see that there is very little black sand in my pans but there is 1/16 to 1/8 sized black gravel that is as heavy as the gold, ive crushed some but no result. I have 3 more crevices to clean there then have to move 50 foot up to the next outcrop....heavy pans all

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job Dave, nice nuggets. Is the black gravel magnetic? I'd like to see a picture of the black gravel with a piece of gold among it?

Mike

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
i will take one for you when i pan my cons down and it isnt magnetic

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
here you go Mike (delnorter) the last 2 things left in every pan from this spot has been flour/speck/picker gold and this material..its ebony in colour , non magnetic and cubic in shape , when its dry the faces reflect light....any ideas. I class this as my black sand - its usually with the gold and quite often in the base of cracks and crevices.Im gonna keep a sample and ask my local lapidary mob about it later this month

Attachments

• 1446366825985.jpg
    1446366825985.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 1446366844147.jpg
    1446366844147.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 1446366865749.jpg
    1446366865749.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 83

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I would guess it is Hematite. It appears to have traveled some so it looks somewhat naturally tumbled.
Have you tried a neodymium magnet against it? Hematite is pretty non-magnetic by most standards but there are exceptions.

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks johnedoe thats one that the wife didnt think of looking up...she was researching while i was panning...i will still check with the local mob (100km away) because i want to see what lnfo they have on my area as there seems to be a lack of info on the internet...not many i terested in goat country i guess..in the 1860s it used to take them 2 days to travel what i can now do in 1.5 hr the old road is still traversable and runs next to the new rd - in some places old rd is straighter and smoother...lol

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
well just finished panning cons from last trip (30/10) grand total 3 pickers, 1 flakey,18 specks and quite a bit of flour. weight .18 g... not bad for a 7 hr dig best result so far heavy pans all

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
i checked them with a neodyium magnet and all but one were non magnetic ..the one that was was only just hanging on...will keep you posted im going to town next fortnight

OP
OP
Au dave

Au dave

Aug 5, 2015
Eastern Victoria
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
sorry it took some time but the black rocks are hematite as previously suggested

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread